This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 longs and a short -- Hello

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 longs and a short -- Hello
    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 7:26pm
I may be giving away my age (70) or just how rural we were when I was a kid in the 50s but I remember the old phone on the wall that rang all the local phone calls and we had a certain ring such as 2 longs and a short (really do not remember what ours was for sure).  Several years later we got a rotary phone but were still on a party line so if you picked up the phone, there could be someone on there talking to someone else. 
How many of you remember the old 2 longs and a short type phone set up? 
We've come a long way now with cell phones.  Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Sponsored Links

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 7:35pm
Until 1968 our phone number was 6 r 1 -2  (one long and two short)
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 7:39pm
We were on an eight party line...number was 502-j1.. don't remember the ring... memories
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 7:49pm
I remember our phone number, think ours was two longs.  Always picked up the hand set and ask, "Line busy?"
Maximum use of available resources!
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 7:57pm
yes, I remember that, same thou don't remember the ring, had a party line and a guy started selling insurance, on all the time, phone company finally made him get a business line.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 8:02pm
Yep, but if my memory serves me right, ours was a four ring system. Mom would get really angry because our shut in neighbor used to listen in on everyone calls. there were four homes on each party line.
and like Don said, you could not just pickup and start dialing, had to check to see if the line was clear. Long distance calls had to be made through the operator
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by den/southern illinoi den/southern illinoi wrote:

I may be giving away my age (70) or just how rural we were when I was a kid in the 50s but I remember the old phone on the wall that rang all the local phone calls and we had a certain ring such as 2 longs and a short (really do not remember what ours was for sure).  Several years later we got a rotary phone but were still on a party line so if you picked up the phone, there could be someone on there talking to someone else. 

How did you send text
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 8:08pm
and............. there was only ONE PHONE in the entire house !

and........... it id NOT ring several times per hour !

Edited by steve(ill) - 18 Jul 2019 at 8:09pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Scott B Scott B wrote:

Originally posted by den/southern illinoi den/southern illinoi wrote:

How did you send text

Type writers and snail mail
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 8:42pm
We did not even have a phone. Had to go to my uncle ‘s house if we needed to call somebody and his phone was on a party line. About 1990 I made Mom and Dad let me put a phone in their home so I could call and check on them.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 9:19pm
One long ring one short ring. We had a party line till in the 70s
DSpears N IL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSpears N IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 9:21pm
Them ol wonderful days!

Ours was 4 Shorts!

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 10:25pm
I had a bad wreck one evening back in the 70's in high school, crawled out of the ditch
and walked to a nearby farm house, bloody and banged up I asked them to call for help for me, old lady up the road wouldn't relinquish the line, the old man threatened her to hangup, but she wouldn't, he loaded me in his truck and drove me to town to the hospital.
I understand the sheriff stopped by the next day and had quite the chat with her.

We lived about 60 miles North of Atlanta growing up, I can remember having to dial "9" to see if there was a line free to call there, many times the operator would tell us to try again later after the businesses closed and more lines were free. Times sure have changed!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 10:44pm
when I grew up, we just had two soup cans with a piece of fishing line between them. darrel
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 10:52pm
I think ours was long short long, but again, I'm also 70 and don't really remember for sure.  I think we had 8 parties on the line at first then 6 and finally 4 before we had a single line.  I remember some people visiting from town who would answer the phone as soon as it rang or would pick up the phone and start dialing while someone else was on the line.  I kept our phone number until after my parents were gone but it cost quite a bit to have the number so I let it go.  It's now the number for a women's shoe store in Boulder.  Stopped in recently to see if they ever got a call for my mom (my dad was deaf).  One of the owners thought they had a call  a few years earlier.  I gave her my number to put near the phone if anyone calls.  Most of my folks friends are also gone and the ones still alive have my number but you never know.  When I was in the Army in Germany, I remember it cost $1 per minute to call home collect.  Only did it once.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 10:52pm
My grandparents had one until they moved off the farm in 1969
Mr.P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 10:56pm
Two long and two short 10 party on are line. Up to two hrs. sometimes to be able to use the phone.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 11:14pm
We didn't have a phone like those.  Our first phone was a black rotary on the dining room wall.  I remember when we got it so I'm thinking 1960.  I recall once when my brother(Army) called from Vietnam.  When you finished what you was saying you had to say "over".  I had to keep telling my mom to say over.  We had a two party line so not so busy but them old ladies could talk for days.  Our first phone number was plainfield 9-2545.  Man that was slick when we got a phone and got modernized.  Then the fight was on for color tv!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Mnfarmboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnfarmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 8:50am
I remember driving various places because Dad said it was cheaper than calling long distance.
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 9:03am
Back when we had a party line and I was a volunteer fireman our line would have one solid long ring when someone called the fire line to report a fire, Then everyone on our line would listen to hear where the fire was.
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 10:47am
I'm not as old as some of you.....old enough.....and I still remember out party line.  We live in a poor, forgotten area for the most part, so we were late to the game of private lines.  Think ours was just 1 long, though maybe not.  There was a notorious "listener" in our neighborhood also, pissed everyone off!  Then we had a Sheriff Department  Sub Station line in our house, because Dad was the only cop that lived on the west side of the county.  Which meant he was pretty much constantly on call.  One late night after working for the department all day then baling hay after, he answered the phone "Sheriff Department Stub Station....."  We all laughed as Mom said, "Stubby here!"
Dad was also on the fire department.  Before pagers there was a fire department "ring" which was just a steady ring until you picked it up.  You'd be halfway through getting the location of a fire from someone, some moron would pick up the phone in a panic, "FIRE DEPARTMENT!!"  There was also a button on the side of the phone to set off the fire whistle in town.  Yeah, like nobody ever bumped that accidentally!

When Dad was in the air force in the 50's, he had a buddy from Warsaw, SC.  He came over and wanted to borrow Mom and Dad's phone.  He says, "Operator, get me Warsaw, South Carolina......................Hello, Ma?!"  Hahahaha!!!!
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 10:53am
I remember when the folks had the telephone INSTALLED--It sat on their bedroom dresser--that was the corner of the house closest to the power-telephone line pole, hence the shortest amount of wire needed to hook up.  The big, black Bakelite phone--no dial.  You picked up the receiver and recited the number you wanted to the operator.  Our number was Arlington 5-2740.  And yes it was a party line.  R. Musgrave
JoeO(C-MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(C-MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 11:11am
I remember the longs.-shorts, but I do recall the number.  3504.

I was in the service, early '60s, when it was changed over to exchange + number system.

Also, there were telegraph type poles with glass insulators, with some rotational twists for noise cancelation ?, but I've slept since then, this is best I can recall. 

Edited by JoeO(C-MO) - 19 Jul 2019 at 11:15am
D10 III, D15 II 3 pt, D15 II SC, 170 Gas w/shuttle, 175 Diesel UI ROPS, 185 w ROPS. AC 653 w/6 way blade, ROPS
AC 615 Ind. WD45 running/Parts.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 12:47pm
I think that our ring was 2 longs and there were no more than three other people on our party line. You could ring others on your party line but you would have to go through the operator to talk to others on another party line. The operator could also do a "general ring" that would alert everyone if there was an emergency or there was a need for a community announcement. My parents were operating our small grocery store to help supplement their farm income at the time the new dial phones were installed. The store had a unique black candlestick phone with a separate ringer box. The installation crew said they had to take all the old phones but they didn't seem to take anyone's old big old wall hung phones. I think they knew it was rare and they could get big bucks for it. I was annoyed that my parents let them take it. I took our old phone apart to mess around with the parts. Those old hand crank magnetos could sure give out a powerful kick.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 12:57pm
I think ours was 2 short rings,, we didn't have a house phone until '73-74, was on a party line til the late 70's, or early 80's...
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 1:58pm
Yes I remember the time not the number of rings.  Early 70's? when the switch happened. Didn't get some of them cables very deep in places.Got into them alot when working for the TWP.
den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 7:29am
I wonder how many operators to make a call from mid America to like New York back then and what kind of cost it would have been. Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 7:50am
You might be country if....
Pretty sure our party line lasted until the 90's. Still had a crank phone on the wall of the summer kitchen of the farmhouse(but it was inoperable). It wasn't quite Green Acres but close. Cable TV ended a mile and a half from us when I was in HS(graduated 1980). Hasn't come a foot closer since. No landline phone at all now all cellphone and hot spots.
JoeO(C-MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(C-MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

when I grew up, we just had two soup cans with a piece of fishing line between them. darrel

I bet you had to hold the cans/wire tight in all that wind!
D10 III, D15 II 3 pt, D15 II SC, 170 Gas w/shuttle, 175 Diesel UI ROPS, 185 w ROPS. AC 653 w/6 way blade, ROPS
AC 615 Ind. WD45 running/Parts.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:05pm
 Had the crank on the wall till 1960. Local phone company went away and Ma Bell put in all new poles and wire. But still 8 on a party line,until about 80 when only 4 on a line. And if it was ringing it was for you,no more longs and shorts. Very shortly it was upgraded to private lines.

Still waiting for good cell service. It keeps improving but not what I will trust for a emergency yet. Some add on's to go thru internet and such but all need electric service working,Wink so still with Ma Bell land line. Back in 03 in the 6.0 earthquake landline worked the whole time,cell ConfusedCryAngryDead service not so much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic