This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage Regulators!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage Regulators!
    Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 9:25pm
Pardon my long post and subsequent rant:  Has any one had major issues with voltage regulators dying prematurely?
The last couple of years I have had nothing but problems on my D17 IV diesel, 54 WD45 and 57 WD45.
To start:  All of these tractors have had the generators rebuilt, new ammeters and brand new wiring harnesses installed.  The 2 WD45s have had the generators rewired to 12 volts.  All of these tractors are using saddle mounted voltage regulators mounted on the generators.
I have lost count the number of VRs I have replaced in the last 2 years.  Many have not lasted more than 1 week (less than a day in several cases as well).  They will work fine for the first few starts and after that the ammeter will stop showing a charge (not moving at all + or -).  Some will show charging rates which vary with engine speed - pegging the ammeter at +30 at half throttle in some cases.  I started using my most recent WD45 in July after overhauling the electrical system.  Since then, I have had 3 regulators crap out that short time.
Most came from my local auto electric shop costing around $35.  Not long ago, I started buying Standard brand voltage regulators from my local NAPA for $60, which were supposed to be better quality.  The first one of these lasted a couple of months on my D17, but just died a few days ago - That has been the longest lasting for all 3 tractors!
I am at my wits end here.  I refuse to put alternators on my tractors! 
Any ideas on what could be causing these failures?
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Sponsored Links

DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 4:22am
Have you opened any up and were able to notice what failed?
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 6:12am
yeesh, got ANY hair left ??!! Nothing is 'common' among the failures.different tractors, new wires, rebuilt gennys....
I'm with Doug..gotta open up the regulators and do autopsies on them all. Regulators are simple devices...2 or 3 coils of wire and some switch contacts, aka relays, old school stuff.
Whoever rebuilt the gennys should be able to say why the regs failed,though again, you've had to many ,presumably different brands 'under the hood'.
My first guess was a bad ground( opens up after use/time) but again so many times??
If possible, write on them which tractor and date of failure. Hopefully Steve will chime in, right now I can't think of the one reason so many have failed on so many tractors.
The supplier of the regs SHOULD be helping you,or the manufacturer. Contact them directly. Maybe there was a bad batch and you got all of them cause not many regs being bought these days.

keep us updated please !!
Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 7:11am
My local rebuilder says it's getting very hard to get good quality voltage regulators. He seems to have a good source though as the last couple I've gotten from him are working fine but the last one I bought was also a couple years ago. Could call him if you like........... His name is Kipp Johnson of Johnson's Auto Electric. 507-584-9700. May take a couple attempts to get a hold of him as he is very busy. Does excellent work.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 7:32am

Myron

Did any of the 'regulators' fail before Trump took office, or have all the failures occurred since Nov. 8 ?

Gary

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 8:25am
This is the list that I use on charging problems, use star washers and clean all points of grounding.
-1 regulator to generator. 2-generator  to mounting bracket. 3- lower generator bracket to frame. 4-frame to amp gauge housing 5-battery to frame ground. Same for lighting and coil mounting bracket to engine.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

Myron

Did any of the 'regulators' fail before Trump took office, or have all the failures occurred since Nov. 8 ?

Gary

I am rather positive Mr. Trump has had nothing to do with these VRs.  If anything, these problems started in the Obama administration!

Don:  None of the tractors have been painted since I bought them, I usually do clean all the bolts and mountings when I have things apart.  I did try running a separate ground wire a few times with no success...
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 9:36am
Sounds like you need to go pirate some regulators from the salvage yards, give em a paint job, and use em. I've never replaced a regulator on any of my tractors. Maybe the old ones are built better. darrel
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 9:58am
Now there's a man with a sense of humor! Blame it on Trump! Everybody else does.  LOL!!
Grounds are super important on any electrical system, whether positive or negative ground systems. There could be a number of reasons why you're going through VR's. One could be an Armature issue. Nothing against your rebuilder, but these so called "rebuilders" out there are aggitatin' me as of late. The reason why I say that is I've been getting Gennies and Starter motors in the past 5 or so years now that have been so called "rebuilt" and some of the guys don't even clean out the unit inside! Paint jobs on the outside look great, but inside is another story. And people pay good money for them. Carbon & oil make muck inside! Armatures have opens in them. Some more than others. I found some "rebuilts" with a bad field coil in them. Don't they test these? The brushes, bearings, or bushings get replaced, and occasionally a brush holder, (my Granddaughter can do that) but that's about it. Let's face it, if it isn't done right internally, other components in the system will fail causing what I call "chronic hair pulling syndrome". Kinda' looks like the top of my head, but I blame that on 49 years of solder, flux, Brakekleen, an occasional stubborn Magneto and mostly being built close to the ground...  LOL!

Batteries can be a cause of electrical whoa's also. Especially in the 6V variety. A cell starting to go bad, or a cell that has gone bad. A sulfating 12V Battery will usually come on very slow on an early Tractor causing charging issues and eventually putting on "extra load spikes" that the system doesn't normally get because of the lack of accessories. Inspect your Batteries! Do a load test. Do a specific gravity test. Make sure the power source is in tip top shape. As they start to fail slowiy, that's when they take components out. A very overlooked problem that can become expensive over time especially when going through electrical components.

Another problem child is these aftermarket Ammeters. Some of these things just are junk which will cause VR contacts to cook, field coils to fail, and com plates to melt or "fill". I've had a few customer's with VR failures, and I've told them to replace the Ammeter with a good known OEM Ammeter or Voltmeter just to see if the problem goes away. In most cases I've found through the customer that it did. Installing an original cleaned up Ammeter in the system, and Viola, problem gone. Now that may not work for everyone, but it did clear up some issues for some customer's showing that these items can cause unknown charging and electrical problems.

Another problem that happens is when the incorrect VR is mated to the Generator eventually causing a failure. That's why I always ask the customer for the number off the Gennie so I see in my books what the max output of that unit is. If the tag is missing, I tell them to ship the unit so I can test it on the 881 machine or I don't sell em' a VR. Simple as that. If they're local, they can bring it in and drop it off and I'll run some tests on it and give them my diagnosis. If you don't know what you're working with, how are you supposed to put a "team" together to work?  Lonn's rebuilder is correct. There are a lot of "cheapo" electrical products flooding the market out there, there's no doubt about that, and that also leads into failures. There's always something overlooked that causes a recurring problem when it comes to electrical systems. Don has a good philosophy with grounding things. Never can have enough grounds on any system! Good job Don ma' man!

In closing and an overview, the only thing I can suggest from a rebuilders point of view, is to double check your connections, inspect your Batteries for a cell going bad or a bad cell all together, ground cables and aux. grounds clean n' tight. When you bring your Starter or Gennie to your local rebuilder, ask them "Do you renew the Armature"? If they tell you "It depends" take it to someone who automatically renews the Arms as part of the rebuild. If he says "Yes" then he's your man. Most of the Arms in these units are original! Have them replaced with either a new unit (if available) or a rewound piece. That is the heart of the unit! Units rebuilt properly are not cheap! But its a "get what you pay for" thing, and that's a good thing because you're not spending left n' right later on components!

Steve@B&B

39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 10:09am
Changing to an alternator is still your best bet for better battery life. Probably the least expensive too, considering what you've gone through. But if you want it to look original, you gotta do what you gotta do to the make the generator work.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 10:15am
Brings back real bad and expensive memories.Life has been much better since I started
buying and installing one wire Delco alternators with a double pulley off ebay for less
than $60.Just did a David Brown 780 yesterday,D10 is next up.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

Sounds like you need to go pirate some regulators from the salvage yards, give em a paint job, and use em. I've never replaced a regulator on any of my tractors. Maybe the old ones are built better. darrel
I'd say so! When I got my 8N, it didn't charge, so I got the genny rebuilt, as well as a new regulator. Simple right? Nope. I then proceeded to learn there are A circuit and B circuit Ford generator/regulator pairs, so I figured out I had an A circuit system, then got a new A circuit 6V positive ground regulator from http://www.just8ns.com/ . They were helpful and sent me the product, and it worked for a few days, then just quit. I told them the problem and they sent me a new one. Same thing. They told me to try adjusting the breaker gap, which I did, and that made it work again, for a week or so, then it quit. I kept adjusting it, and it would work, then quit, then work, then quit.... 
It would also work if I tapped on the housing. Charging rate would jump up and usually remain charging until I shut the motor off. I ended up going through 4 regulators I believe. 
Eventually even that last trick quit working, and I was pretty fed up. I had a Delco 10si alternator and adapter bracket laying around, and I was figuring how I was going to wire everything up, when a friend called me over. I went to his house and he was going through some stuff he got at an auction a while back. They came from an ex-Allis dealer auction, but some of the parts in the box were aftermarket. One box was a Tisco box and it looked to be at least 30 years old (about when the dealership closed) and it said "Voltage Regulator  Replaces: 8N10505B" Well I recognized that number right away, and bought it from him. When I got home I stuck it on the tractor, polarized it, and it's been charging perfectly for almost 3 years. Why that Ford regulator was in a box of things from an Allis dealer beats me, but nonetheless, I'm glad it was there! 
Just looking at the NOS regulator and the new one, you can tell how cheaply built the new one is. I'm thinking my B needs a new regulator, because every time I start it now, I have to jump the armature terminal to the battery terminal, or else it won't charge. I'm dreading that process, hoping it won't be a bothersome as the Ford's regulator process was. 
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 1:07pm
Rebuilt to 12 volts.  I'd be suspicious. Perhaps Steve can mention a few incorrect ways to do that.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 6:38pm
The material science development that went into all electrical contacts was quite
an effort. Perhaps some of that never made it to China. So we read remarks that they are using "nail heads" as breaker and switch contacts and such.  Blame the importers, they are the ones whom must impose quality assurance on their suppliers, but don't.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 6:47pm
There's only one way to do that, and that's change everything in the unit to 12V components. I don't cut corners when I convert a 6V Gennie to 12V's. You do the whole 9 yards or put an Alternator on it. And not a 1 wire. Leave the one wires to Automobiles. A three wire Alternator is very easy to tie into any 12V system on a Tractor. Only takes a few more minutes and its a done deal. No revving the engine to excite the regulator. Bring the rpm up to around 400-450 and the Alternator starts charging. Pretty simple...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

There's only one way to do that, and that's change everything in the unit to 12V components. I don't cut corners when I convert a 6V Gennie to 12V's. You do the whole 9 yards or put an Alternator on it. And not a 1 wire. Leave the one wires to Automobiles. A three wire Alternator is very easy to tie into any 12V system on a Tractor. Only takes a few more minutes and its a done deal. No revving the engine to excite the regulator. Bring the rpm up to around 400-450 and the Alternator starts charging. Pretty simple...
Steve@B&B

The one wire alternators I've been using don't require any high RPM to get them to charge,the one I just put on the DB 780 I started the tractor up at a normal RPM I always start at and put the tester on the battery and was charging just fine.Put one on the Oliver
1550 awhile back just did away with the regulator taped the wires off and hooked the battery wire that was on the old Delco to the one wire and everything works just like  it should on the tractor,no high RPM required there either.The big advantage on DB was the electrical system was shot so I cut all the wires,now have one wire about a foot long running from the alternator to the battery post on the solenoid and a push button starter switch. Simple as it gets works good and since its a diesel and I just use it to rake hay that's all I need.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 10:06pm
Some voltage regulators are polarity sensitive. While they function independent of polarity (proving the generator is flashed before the engine is started the first time of the new regulator and generator) they can have a short life from contacts burning. With polarity sensitive regulators one contact of each pair is much smaller than the other simply because for the proper polarity metal tends to transfer from the heavier contact to the small one. If the polarity is reversed, the small contact burns away in a hurry and then the regulator doesn't work anymore.

Gerald J.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 8:45am
The problem with running a wire directly to the Battery or Relay is it can put a parasitic draw on the Battery while sitting not being in use. Not good for the Battery or the Alternator. Running it through a key switch puts the switch in the middle to control the problem. When the key is off, everything is off. But if it works for you, that's all that counts.  Can't get much simpler than one wire on the whole Tractor!   LOL!  LOL
Steve@B&B
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 9:36am
Dumb question, why aren't you guys buying a regulator from your generator rebuild shop? Wouldn't they have a quality unit? I know I run in to problems when one of my customers wants to buy one thing from me, one thing from someone else, and another part of the system from a third vendor. Then when problems occur, who's product is at fault? NOT usually the one you're having problems with.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 10:09am
The BIG problem I have is no one will warranty any electrical part, at least not here. Once it's outta the store, it's yours even IF you never ever take it out of the package, NO REFUNDS....
I asked about 4 O2 sensors for my Ford, $80 a pop...yeah do the math....I put in used ones(free to me), they worked fine.

Jay

DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 11:13am
What Jay says is true of most places. They only way you'll get a warranty is if they do it themselves. I imagine it would only apply to a standard OEM type of installation. Conversions are not OEM.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

Dumb question, why aren't you guys buying a regulator from your generator rebuild shop? Wouldn't they have a quality unit? I know I run in to problems when one of my customers wants to buy one thing from me, one thing from someone else, and another part of the system from a third vendor. Then when problems occur, who's product is at fault? NOT usually the one you're having problems with.

Most of the voltage regulators I got in the last couple of years came from the shop that rebuilds/services all of my generators.  As Jay mentioned, they do not give a warranty on them since I am the one putting them on and removing them from my tractors.  It has gotten to the point that they cannot provide any more suggestions on what can be causing these failures.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

Changing to an alternator is still your best bet for better battery life. Probably the least expensive too, considering what you've gone through. But if you want it to look original, you gotta do what you gotta do to the make the generator work.

Yes.  The original look is what I always strive for.  I don't like seeing alternators hanging off the side of engines if they were not originally offered with them.
JethTran View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JethTran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 1:12am
Hi......your battery post to post is 12 volts right?
Ground meter dark lead to neg post on battery. Red lead on red wire going to battery key on. Ought to be battery voltage.
Take red lead red wire going into vr motor wot ought to charge voltage.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 6:28am
I've had many problems with the cheapo voltage regulators that I've gotten from various farm stores when I was in a pinch to get something going quick. Mostly they were not properly adjusted from what ever factory they were made at. With proper testing tools and some time, I've gotten most of them to be usable. 
 However all of the top quality ones I've gotten from my rebuilder; The Brillman Co. work fine from the start and continue to do so. Although he also has the low price imports for the penny pinchers. 
 Alternators are fine for things that run frequently, however I prefer to have properly working generators on my tractors now that they don't get used as much as before I quit farming.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 11:30am
I take the few gens I have left to my re-builder----he does his thing and has quality parts that the general public cant get!---- NOT cheap by any means but they work!
Most of my tractors had been converted to alts. before I got them.---- I would rather have gens. myself.
The reg. does have to match the gens. --- you cant just go grab a reg. off the cheap isle and slap it on your tractor and expect it to last very long.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
DaveSB View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 7:22pm
My generator rebuilder quit selling voltage regulators and refuses to tell me where or which regulators I need to buy. He says he has had to many problems with regulators over the last 10 years and now doesn’t sell them or even tell me what regulator I need for my generator.    He want even tell me if it’s an A or B generator.   I have to figure it out the best I can , and I have bought the wrong regulator in the past due to lack of knowledge both on my part and the store selling me the regulator, but there are so few places to have them rebuilt anymore. I guess I need to start sending them to Steve a d get a good job and the correct regulator.
The last generator I had rebuilt for my Allis C lasted 1\2 mowing of my yard. I had switched it over to a saddle mounted regulator and am sure it was hooked up correctly.
So that tractor ended up with an ugly alternator, but hasn’t had a problem since the alternator install.
I have found that the old regulators are more dependable than the new ones, I bought a regulator used but original that didn’t work anymore, for my D14. After sanding the contacts and a little adjustment it has been working fine now for several years.   
I’d look for an original regulator and try to fix. Or buy quality stuff from Steve.   Or use an ugly alternator, I do t like the looks of them either. I’m converting a 6 volt tractor now over to 12 bolts. But I found an older 12 volt generator and regulator that appears to be good.
Good luck with your tractor.
1948 C, 1953 CA, 1948 WD, 1961 D-17 Series 2 Diesel, 1939 WC, 1957 D14
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 6:17am
I'm thinking(yeah, scary..) that the relay contacts aren't made to withstand the 30+amps of current,so they burn out.
Curious, Anyone making 'solid state' versions ? I know I replaced the mechanical regulator on my '67 stangs with  SS units and NEVER had issues after that..

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:38am
If you have problems with your local rebuilder, I'd be happy to work with you on anything you need rebuilt or a VR that needs to be mated CORRECTLY to a Gennie. There's no secrets to it. No special hocus pocus. Half the problem folks have with VR's is they're not mated properly with the unit doing the charging. (Now granted, there's a lot of aftermarket Chinese chit' out there to.) Folks make the mistake of purchasing "universal" 12V VR's which may or may not be for the Generator they're using for the charging chores. Call Alternators ugly, but they are dependable as mentioned. I can build a sweet Generator/VR system, but I still like Alternators better for operation, load requirements, and reliability. I carry quality USA made VR's in stock, and when I'm rebuilding the customer's Generator,  a VR gets mated to that unit and is run on my 881 machine and dialed in before it leaves the wire shop.  One thing is for sure, I know the combo is working perfectly when it leaves.  What I don't know obviously is whether everything on board your Tractor is correct! That's up to you to make sure that all components making up the system are in tip top shape whether 6V or 12V. You wouldn't purchase a new pair of work boots and use the old laces from old pair. Well, maybe Jay would, but we won't go there....  LOL!!

Another issue folks run into is the old wiring that's on board their Tractor. Old wiring is another problem that may causes a perfectly good working Gennie/VR combo to screw up!  Voltage drop, terrible current flow, rub through shorts, etc. all cause counter productive problems for any charging components or systems no matter what it's on or in.  The wiring may "look" okay to you, but it may not be good for carrying current loads anymore.  You'll be a bit surprised how many of our customer's have had problems from the engine not running correctly to charging issues, to ignition issues, because the wiring is crap. I always hear: "oh, the wiring looks great". After chasing Gremlins for a year or more, they finally break down and either purchase one of our wiring systems or wire the damn thing themselves, and all of a sudden all the gremlins are gone!!  Hey, this Tractor never ran like this before!   Hmmmm.... how bout' that!.....Sixty plus year old wiring don't cut it.  

I see it with our classic car customer's also. These guys spend some big bucks to!  $20K for a trick paint job, 10K for a custom interior, $3k for trick suspension,  $15K-20K on an engine, and $25. bucks spent on the wiring system and the car burns to the ground...  Sheesh go figure!
Steve@B&B  

Edited by Steve in NJ - 02 Jun 2021 at 10:42am
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 8:47am
I have been reading the forum for years and have tried to join before but am not very computer savvy. I finally enlisted my wife's help and a new email. 
I also like the looks of an original generator set up. One thing that is critical with a new V/R is to polarize it. It equalizes the regulator to the generator and battery. With the engine off take a short piece of wire. Momentarily touch the batt and gen/arm terminals. It will spark and you are set to go.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic