This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

inline gas filters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkiheri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: inline gas filters
    Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:35am
Will a inline wix fuel filter work on a b allis.  I put one on and after running for a half hour or so it has hardly an gas going through it and the tractor starts to run out of gas. The carb has been cleaned and rebuilt, and the tank has been cleaned and red coated. the sediment bowl is clear . When I disconnect the gas line from the carb no gas is coming out and when I take the filter off the line the gas pours out. Can the filter stop water and be plugged because of it because I can't see any water in the filter it has a clear plastic body.  When I blow air through the filter backwards and the put it back in then the gas flows again and fills up the filter and the tractor runs fine.
Sponsored Links

Leon n/c AR. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon n/c AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:56am
Most automotive inline filters do exactly like you are describing as they are made for systems using fuel pump pressure. Possibly could use inline filter for gravity flow lawn mower,but may clog if it does get much trash or debris. Better to just use a food screen on sediment bowl only. Leon
Larry in NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 11:16am
If you have water in the tank, you can see it separate in the sediment bowl.  I have seen comments on the forum where folks have had good luck with in-line filters.  It has not been the case for me.  I just reply on the sediment bowl.  If you do have a trash problem, you can install a pipe in the top of the sediment bowl housing so gas at the bottom of the tank will not run into the bowl. 
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 12:01pm
Several yearrs back I did some checking for low power on a neighbors mid-size tractor, a  D14. Points, rotor, cap, wires & plugs looked good. He'd said that he'd just changed inline fuel filter and emptied cleaned and refilled the oil bath air cleaner. 
What was causing the problem was that the inline filter was installed backwards. Fuel came into inside of filter not the outside. Also the oil bath was way over filled, tractor still runs like a top. 

AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:07pm
With a clean and coated tank and good gas, the original sediment bowls work fine and there is no need for the inline filters.  
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:26pm
In line filter in a straight line from tank to carburetor. Liquid don't like to run up hill unless it has something pushing it.      MACK
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by KJCHRIS KJCHRIS wrote:

the inline filter was installed backwards. Fuel came into inside of filter not the outside.
SOME of them have an arrow on them, MOST do not.  You'll figure it out.  But as said, you really don't need one.

I haven't sealed my tanks as yet, and just use the sediment bowl and have NO problems.  (NOW I did it,,,,,jinxed myself....).  Throw that filter out and see what happens.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 11:00pm
blow thru the new one to see which way the fuel is sposed to flow. one way you can blow air thru, the other way you can't.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 11:00pm
I also like the sediment bowls the best too. they are re-useable!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by DSeries4 DSeries4 wrote:

With a clean and coated tank and good gas, the original sediment bowls work fine and there is no need for the inline filters.  
x2! 
And if it were a Ford, it'd have 3 filters in it already! One in the tank, sediment bowl, and carb inlet! Big smile
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 2:04am
There are plenty of small particles that will pass thru the screen in the sediment bowl
that will stop up a carb,that's why I started using the filters in the first place.I've run several different types of inline filters,have them on all my gas tractors without a problem EXCEPT if they're mounted backwards or if they have had
water run thru them.Water will cause the filter material to swell on some filters and nothing will pass thru them then.Of course that's the whole idea of a filter to stop things other than the fuel.

dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 4:12am
I bought a glass in line filter with a metal mesh on the inside that was reusable.  used it on the international, worked great, until it got plugged up with rust from the tank.  I got it from the local auto parts store. 

on a side note.  I went to a different auto parts store later on to get a fuel filter for my 5020 diesel, the fella handed me one of them little red in line filters for a lawn mower??Confused  While I'm all for saving money I just don't think it would be a good replacement!!!
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:43am
Best filter to put on the Tractor would be a gravity fed type fuel filter like what's on a riding mower. A fuel pump type filter (can type) will slow the fuel way down starving the engine. It doesn't hurt to install an inline filter (gravity type) to work with the sediment bowl as Gary mentioned. There is still enough debris that gets through the sediment bowls screen that could cause some issues down the road with Carburetor....

Edited by Steve in NJ - 08 May 2017 at 8:44am
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 10:19am
 them sediment bowls work pretty dang good,    im with steve if sould want to use a inline filter on this,    the briggs part number 298090s  in line fuel filter will really flow, and  is desined for gravity feed and can be back flushed and re used
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic