This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Detroit Diesel injectors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Detroit Diesel injectors
    Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 7:22am
As a winter project I decided to clean and rebuild injectors for my HD5.
I recall instructions and pictures in Allis Chalmers literature that I no longer have. I am particularly interested in testing the spray pattern of the injector. If anyone is able to scan and email this information I appreciate it. ghausner@mail2george.com

Local snow required that I use my HD6G to pull my car up my driveway to the road. My 4x4 could not do it.
Merry Christmas
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 7:29am
So, ole Shameless machine is reaching out far and wide, eh. I may have that info for you. If I don't, there is a very good chance that Coke will have it, and I am sure that he will have a much easier time knowing how to electronically getting it to you than I will. Darrel
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 8:45am
Somewhere here I may have the info - I found a trucking company I plowed snow for also had a account with a authorised DD rebuilder - had mine rebuilt and tested there - cheaper than I could work on them . 
  See if i can find the injector literature - no promise  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 1:35pm
Need a lapping block for the internal parts, extremely fine lapping compound and then a test bench that can achieve 1200-2500psi for the discharge on the nozzle tips. Not something for a home garage but a certified repair office. Most diesel fuel injection service companies can rebuild and test DD unit injectors.
dustydoo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 6:20pm
Not sure how far you are from Erie pa.! Beatty Diesel may be able to take care of them for you
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 6:23pm
Aside from the fulfillment of mastering the injector work yourself you can buy rebuilt injectors so cheap for Detroit you may not want to fool with it yourself. I don't know if there is a cheaper injector to be bought than for the old Detroits. When I bought my last set I was offered ones with 9 spray holes instead of 5. Better performance and a little less fuel consumption. I would go that route again. I don't know if they are available for smaller series Detroit but mine were for the 92 series.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 9:23pm
I had mine rebuilt and last time through that dealer they were $32 - normal price was about $65 - was looking at a site said exchange for $125 (seems rather high) 
 One thing the DD shop said was replace the fuel lines every time you work on injectors - they seem to crack at the flare if over tightened or wrenched on and off a few times . (believe it's 15 ft pounds on nut)

I had one crack at flare - kind of dilutes the oil fast . 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 19 Dec 2016 at 9:25pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 7:45am
It is something I want to do. Rebuilt Detroit injectors ($65 to $125) are less expensive than many. I have 14 core injectors to experiment with. I did inquire about newer injectors than HV6's and HV7's but my inquiries didn't yield any results. My thanks to all.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

I had mine rebuilt and last time through that dealer they were $32 - normal price was about $65 - was looking at a site said exchange for $125 (seems rather high) 
 One thing the DD shop said was replace the fuel lines every time you work on injectors - they seem to crack at the flare if over tightened or wrenched on and off a few times . (believe it's 15 ft pounds on nut)

I had one crack at flare - kind of dilutes the oil fast . 

Never replaced any lines and never had one crack but only torqued to 15,which seems excessive when pulling that wrench.Was told over tightening was cause of cracking.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic