This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any info on a HD6 DOZER

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any info on a HD6 DOZER
    Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 3:58pm
Do any of you have any thoughts on an HD6 Allis Dozer. Straight blade. Is it a Good machine, bad machine, weak points, horse power, weight. etc, STRAIGHT shift or hydraulic shift, reverser,etc. Just looking for some information on this dozer before I call. thanks norm
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 6:05pm
It's all straight gears - hand clutch - lever steer - steering clutches with foot brake . 
several changes over years of production - couple different configurations on engines . 
24 V electrical system .  around 60 HP 
track and undercarriage same as on HD5 but extra roller over HD5G or E - rear housing same as HD5 -  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 6:58pm
Longer track and better balance than HD5. 344 cubic inch has 3 versions (HD344 ,6000 and 7000) The turbocharged 105 HP motor was not installed by AC but is a direct fit choice at rebuild time. The 7000 motor is from the HD7G and government surplus generator sets. Preferred machines above s/n 13322
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 10:53pm
Thanks for the info .   norm
donoman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 11:26pm
Turbo motor standard on later AG tractors, optional on later HD6E's, 90 hp version.
Darrell90 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 1:11pm
 I just bought a HD6 it operates as it should but it needs the track tightened can anyone give me a little help (I have used greese to adjust them on any machine I have used before) 
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Darrell90 Darrell90 wrote:

I just bought a HD6 it operates as it should but it needs the track tightened can anyone give me a little help (I have used greese to adjust them on any machine I have used before) 

Should be a turnbuckle, and locknut, coming back from the front idler.  Coke would be prolly the best here, to describe the procedure...WinkWink
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 9:19pm
Not really a turnbuckle,the large shaft pushing the idler is threaded on the back end.Generally rusted and a pain to turn,also has locking mechanism,the HD5 used a diamond shaped nut with 2 bolts to lock.Mostly a HD6 is the same running gear as a HD5,but could be different.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 4:36am
I stand corrected, I knew it wasn't a greaser, though...WinkWink
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 6:46am
If you can not turn the track adjusting screw you can put "U" shaped shims between the yoke and idler brackets. You need to free up the adjusting screw though. If there is a grease fitting on the yoke remove it and put some anti-rust stuff in there to help free up the adjusting screw. If there is not a grease fitting, drill and tap 1/8NPT for the fitting.
Darrell90 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:30am
I appreciate the information, on the back of the yolk where the grease fitting is do you have to loosen the 2 smaller bolts before you turn the threaded shaft? (is this the locking mechanism) then turn the threaded shaft? Operator for almost 30 years but this thing is older than I am and it is taking some getting to know. Any other tricks of trade hacks ect. would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks,
Darrell  
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 1:24pm
yes loosen the two bolts they lock the threads when tightened.  then turn shaft and relock or it may work loose
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 5:39pm
Let it work loose, tighten, and do it again, it'll clean up the threads...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic