This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do Ya'll use,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do Ya'll use,,,,,
    Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:33am
 for removing splinters in your fingers, hands ect,ect,,??
 For some reason, I have been getting MORE than my share of mostly metal splinters, and some wood one too,,!! I do use my 4 1/2" grinders to do most of my metal cutting but then again,,I've been doin that for the longest,,,just seems as if I get more and more these days. 
 Right now,,I've got one in my right typin fore finger and I keep hittin it on the dang keys and it very hard to change to middle finger,,,,,,argh,,,!!! I cannot see the friggin thing but I KNOW it is there,,,!!!!Even tried my magnifyin glass but still cannot see it,,,shore hurtin,,!!!
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:54am
Try a hatchet! (disclaimor: I am not responsible for the loss of any of your limbs if you actually try this! LOL!) Darrel
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:13am
All I can suggest is google or duckduckgo  using sliver or splinter removal, lots of tips there.

Mean while there's this to ponder.
[TUBE]-gnnVnNn1Yk[/TUBE]

For some dang nabbit reason I can't get the whole 57 second video to play, here's the url if interested.

Edited by chaskaduo - 02 Dec 2018 at 9:18am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:13am
I use a sharp razor knife to open it up. Metal seems to work deeper where wood will fester and work it’s way to the surface. Deck screws and drywall screws always leave little metal splinters that are hard to retrieve.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:16am
A guy I used to work fore used to tell us to draw a circle around it and take it out off the clock. Lol
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:57am
Being able to SEE it is kinda important.  I put on a pair of 2.5x, but sometimes put on TWO pairs of cheaters to get about 4x magnification.

I have a pair of sharp point REVLON tweezers... they're sharp pointed enough to puncture skin if you need to, and I dress the OUTSIDE profile with a diamond-hone to keep them that way.

I have one sharp, and one dull disposable shaver, one single-edge razor blade, and one straight pin, and some isopropyl alcohol in my sliver-cabinet too.

The FIRST thing I'll try... is take the dull disposable razor, and gently rake across it.  Frequently, if it's a wood splinter, the razor will be sharp enough to grab, but not sharp enough to cut through... and it'll drag it out.  If that doesn't, I graduate to the sharper one. 

If it's not out enough to rake, but enough to see, I'll grab it with the tweezers.

If it's below surface, I open up a line across the TOP of it (same plane) until it's exposed enough to lift and pull out.  Sometimes I'll have to pick UNDER it with straight pin.

Then I wash it out good with isopropyl.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:11am
There is sort of a diamond shaped spade type hollow needle that works great if you can see the jigger. My wife was temp first aid person at a factory for awhile is how I found out about it. Your Doctor probably has a drawerfull of them if you ask. You just poke it in, give it a twist and pull it out. Living in Multiflora Rose country I get lots of practice. If you've got like a super duper type of magnet on metal you might give it a whirl too.

Edited by Walker - 02 Dec 2018 at 10:19am
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:21am
Straight pin and fingernail clippers.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:30am
Stanley utility knife blade. Blue shop towel and electric tape for a bandage.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:33am
If you can see the end you can roll a pair of pantyhose around in your hands and the end of the splinter will hang in the pantyhose and should come out
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
copyrite1972 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copyrite1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 11:38am
I use the same Swiss Army knife that my Grandpa used to use on me!
D15 Series II
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 3:39pm
I also use nail clippers, but you have to be able to see the splinter.

Duty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Straight pin and fingernail clippers.

X2. Put pressure on both sides of the splinter with the fingernail clippers or end of a ball point pen to help pop it up if you can see it. If it is shiny metal sometime you can stain it with iodine so you can see it. Either Duluth Trading or Sportsman's Guide at one time sold a splinter removal kit, they may still have it. I've still got a  small piece of metal shrapnel in my arm from back around 1965, it went in too deep to bother with digging out. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:43pm
Swiss army tweezers work pretty good for me, keep one of the lil knives, on a key chain.  I also keep that lil blade wicked sharp, if I have to go digging.  also them scissors on the knife are good fer cutting skin you no longer need off a wound.  For the ultra small stuff, drawing salve will get a little blister, or pus pocket, to form around the foreign object. Worst of all, in my opinion is fiberglass...

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 6:42pm
I learned to dig my own with my pocket knife as soon as I had a knife. Sure better than some big old person poking and carving Wink.

Some of the new kinds of thistles any more can be impossible to see. My Wonderful came with a supply of salve good for man or beast, cure anything.I still don't know what it cures but I have found it does good drawing a sliver you cannot see. Get it washed and put a dab on and then a brand-aid to keep from rubbing it off overnight and most time you can get it in the morning.

The chips from carbide  die grinder cutters seem to be the metal ones that poke in the fastest and deepest.  
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 7:21pm
Old gal does mine, she takes pleasure in digging them out, always digs far deeper than necessary.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 7:37pm
Gloves, so you don't get them in the first place...
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:13pm
  OK,,guys,,I've laughed enough so I'm ready to get this dang horseshoe out of my finger,,, AND,,,,and,,Many thanks for all the suggestions,,,both kinds,,,,Wink
 I shoulda explained better,,,First of all,,I cannot see the stupid thing but sure as heck can feel it in there. Me bein right handed,,and,the splinter is in the very tip of  the index finger of my right hand makin it very dificult to do any explorin on it with my left hand,,,SHEE,,it,,!!!! 
 I'm pretty sure it is a metal sliver as I been using the grinder workin on my car hauler trailer.  DANG,,,it sure hurts to do my two finger speed typing. Tried some old family recipe poultices, like baking soda paste and didn't do chit,,,Wink Right now I got another poultice of bar soap mixed with sugar and band-aid,,if that don't do it by mornin,I'm gonna go buy a new set of clippers and dig thet sob out of there,,,,,
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:51pm
Sharp utility knife or needle
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

Old gal does mine, she takes pleasure in digging them out, always digs far deeper than necessary.

Reminds me of one of my grandfather's stories...

Ole doc Lancaster was the only doctor within local distance, back in the old days.  Him and my grandfather were good friends.  One day a brotha comes into the practice, fulla buckshot, from about the waist down. Doc calls my grandfather and asks , Joe, did you fill someones pants with buckshot, last night?  Yeah was the answer, he was a chicken thief...

Doc says, I thought that might be yer handywork, joe, sos I dug extra deep!Wink
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:18pm
I agree with JohnCo Gloves! That being said I use hypodermic syringe needle. Usually a 20 or 22 gauge that can be bought at a farm livestock supply. Sometimes I have to soak the appendage in Epsom Salts to help see the sliver and guard against infection. Metal slivers do work themselves deeper and sometimes I have to open the wound and use a heavy magnet to remove the splinter unless it is aluminum!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 11:29pm
and I hope you have eye protection too? are you sure a hot metal ember didn't just fly on there and burn ya?
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 11:30pm
oh....I use a razor knife too, just scrape it back and forth, usually pulls it out
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 7:29am
Speaking of hot metal embers. I was welding overhead once on a manure spreader ( A side slinger) when a hot ember from the stick dropped down the bib of my overalls and landed on my left testicle! Klinemar learned how to dance the Highland fling real quick!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:30am
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Speaking of hot metal embers. I was welding overhead once on a manure spreader ( A side slinger) when a hot ember from the stick dropped down the bib of my overalls and landed on my left testicle! Klinemar learned how to dance the Highland fling real quick!
Oh NUTS!Shocked
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:38am
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Yeah,,Klinemar,,I've had that happen lots of times too,,,,LOL Fact of the matter,,just yesterday had something happen that never had before,,,,My Brother had brought me 3 big pieces of extra heavy cardboard,,I mean like bout 1/4" thick,,he says you can use that to lay on whilst mechanicin instead of layin on that cold azzed concrete floor. I thought,, "Thas a great idea",,, I was welding on the trailer while layin on one of those pieces of cardboard when I kept feelin some heat by my pants pocket,,reached down and my pocket knife felt some warm,,so moved it around and kept on weldin. Dang knife kept get warmer and then hotter,,,Finally couldn't stand the heat and looked and the friggin cardboard was afire,,,ON THE INSIDE, kept mashin the fire but finally got so big I left it  and come out from under the trailer,,!! Sure was weird that it was burning following the runners INSIDE the cardboard and every so often would burn out and go to smokin,,,Had to run go get the water hose before thet sob burned my trailer boards down,,,,,LOLLOL Ruined my good pair of jeans too,,,PFFFFTTttttt
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:58am
Yeah Joe I burned up a perfectly good Carhartt Coat with me in it welding a hitch on to the back of a truck! I could see a reflection on the inside of my welding helmet. When I finally stopped and raised the helmet I could see the flames we're what was reflecting on the inside of the helmet! Last time I laid under something welding with my coat opened!
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:13am
Few years back, before my mother passed I called and asked what other name there was for what we used to refer to as "drawing salve" growing up on the farm.
Wally World had to order it but that stuff is neat.
Had a sliver I could not get ahold of and did not look forward to the Dr. visit if it started to get infected.

Ichthammol Ointment 2% is what you want.
Put a good dab on the center of the band-aid, center it over where you think the sliver is located (best done after a bath/shower to soften the skin) before goin to bed.
Next morning, peel the band-aid off and more times than not, you'll see the little bugger in the band-aid. Amazing stuff, looks like tar and a tube will last for years.

Worth mentioning, wire "wicker" in my eye once working in the Middle East and overseas, you tend to not look forward to going to a local DR.
Felt it scratching when I blinked the next morning so off to the camp infirmary as the last thing you want is an infection at those temps.
Indian Dr. looked into my eye with a scope, grabbed a magnet off the refrigerator, held my eye open and swiped the magnet back and forth just above the eyeball. Showed me the wicker, gave me eye drops and off I went.
Yes, I was using a face shield while buffing but after that, also used goggles to be safe.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:45pm
Metal and glass will work themselves OUT of your body.  Wood will work itself inward, toward the heart.
You can try some gorilla tape and see if that works, but I doubt it.
The best advice upwards is to use iodine on it.  It works best with wood, but should work with metal.  Get yourself a GOOD magnet, that'll pull it out.  I also had the Doc do this to me once with a piece of metal.  I also was (and always will) use a shield when working upside down.  I have a piece of old rusted iron (I was re-doing an exhaust system) and the doc said to just leave it alone, as the rust had already gone away, but the residue would always be left in the eye.
Iodine will highlight the piece and you can then see what you are doing.  You'll be amazed at how it sticks out visually now!!  I usually get by with a tweezers (really sharp pointed ones) and a properly sterilized needle.  Put the needle into the flame of the stove for a few secs.  AHEM,,,,,,let it cool off before you first use it please......

WARNING to anyone who has EVER had a metal sliver in their eye,,,,IF you are going to go into the tube for an MRI,,,,,,,, TELL the Doc as some of them worry about the piece coming back through the eye and blinding you.  They will then do a thorough eye test to see if anything is still in there.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by TimNearFortWorth TimNearFortWorth wrote:

Ichthammol Ointment 2% is what you want.

This was used for ever, as far back as I can remember, and that is too far to suite me! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic