This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford 3.5L Ecoboost King Ranch Pickup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford 3.5L Ecoboost King Ranch Pickup
    Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 9:37am
Morning AC Team: 

Am researching used Ford King Ranch P/U trucks with the Ford 3.5L V6 Ecoboost engine.  

Is the 3.5 engine capable of 250,000 with good maintenance records?   Am seeing hesitation, misfires and poor fuel economy show up on the engine forums. 

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated!  

~ Orangeman

Edited by orangeman - 17 Mar 2023 at 12:39pm
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 9:45am
hahahahahahahahahaha

though if it's got 250K on it, I bet it was never used as a pickup let alone pull a trailer.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 10:07am
Jaybmiller: So very true - this one has about 110,000 on it one owner with maintenance records.  My old 7.3 liter 4x4 rides like a lumber wagon! LOL
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 10:19am
I think they could, but here is what I have learned about searching for info. What YEAR is it ??    I know if the oil gets changed regularly (even sooner than Ford says to) and the correct oil is used (5W-30 synthetic) and correct oil filter (Ford filter only) that is a very good start. Never shutting them off suddenly without allowing for turbo's to cool down a bit is a very good thing to do. Lastly, as much as I know I would be tickled to own one, and it would meet my trailer towing needs easily, it would not fair well as a daily driver for me. They have a timing chain (and water pump) issue. Those driven 10 miles to work and 10 miles home every day will have timing chain failure before 100,000 miles. It seems to me the short trips and cold start-ups accelerate the timing chain problem. Now, if your general use is longer trips each time it is fired up, the longer it lasts without issue. I know of many that have made it a very long time (200K) without a failure, but they are a quick high/mileage vehicle. In the 2017 model year I believe they made a change to the timing chain arrangement, so they may be better.  You will be impressed with the power and trailer pulling power. No other half-ton can touch one in that category.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 10:49am
Dr.Allis:  The Unit is a 2013 with a factory towing setup with an oil cooler - 4 door cab with a 5 1/2 foot bed.   Am going to keep the old 1995 7.3l Turbo stroke as I have had them for several decades and am familiar with parts and maintenance.

I haven't yet checked into the Design Changes on the Ford V-6 ecoboost over its production period or the TSB's but plan to do so.  Am just trying to make an informed decision before investing.  Likely using it to make trips to Long Island  (son and grandbabies there) and Dayton, Ohio to check out my old stomping grounds at Wright Patterson Air Force Base.  Probably a half dozen times per year making trip on Interstate to secure Allis treasures. 

The old 7.3L continues to serve well but the ride quality! Dang- short distance OK i.e. around the farmstead.   On Interstate not so much.  Am probably getting old and soft. As always - appreciative of the sage insights! 

~ Orangeman
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 11:40am
http://youtu.be/4n4V3V4gTXA

Hope this helps.  Check out the comments section also.

Edited by NEVER green - 17 Mar 2023 at 11:41am
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 12:08pm
NEVER Green - Thanks Much - very helpful! Looks like the second generation engine might fair a bit better for long haul design. ~ Orangeman
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 12:27pm
orange... i got that same truck.. 2013 Crew Cab  4 x 4 with a 3.5 duel turbo and 6 speed transmission.... and 95,000 miles... I bought it when it had 75,000 miles..

I change the oil every 5000 miles and put new spark plugs in it at 90,000 miles ..  I have had no problems.. If your pulling a 8,000 pound trailer your in the 13 mpg range.. If your driving 60 MPH down the highway empty, your close to 20 MPG... The turbos kick in at 1400 rpm, so if you want to drive 75-80 mph, it starts dropping to 16 mpg.. or so.

There is a lot of MAGIC in any of the newer trucks, so maint is essential as DR said... I change the transmission oil when i got it..  The Variable Cam Shaft Timing is what scares me, but they ALL have that now... You just need clean engine oil, kept to the right level. .... Turbos were updated around 2012 with the earlier ones having some oil leak problems.. I think by 2013 that is all gone.

Edited by steve(ill) - 17 Mar 2023 at 12:28pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 12:30pm
OH... and if you want to be a race car driver, in a pickup truck ( NOT ME).... The Twin Turbos is  great for acceleration ! Wink

Edited by steve(ill) - 17 Mar 2023 at 12:35pm
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 7:48am
The Ford ecoboost 3.5 is really the only turbo engine I have seen that hold up very well as long as they stay on the oil changes. If they don't they won't. Turbo coolant tube seal leaks were pretty common on the earlier versions as well as rad hose seals and water pumps. Vacuum pumps are another issue. Had a few high pressure fuel pumps problems
but other than that.
They do run pretty well. Don't personally know about the towing aspect but if you say it's good for a 1/2 ton I'll take your word for it.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 8:26am
Dealer near here has a regular parade of Ecoboost engine warranties and recalls.  Know a mechanic personally in that shop.  Not sure could accept one as a gift as one seems fine the next ten to fifteen are problematic much as were the 6.0 and 6.4 Power Strokes.

Enganearing at its finest.  Check Out the way the engine blocks are constructed.   Sat with that same mechanic where the blocks are similar to the really bad designs of the past of Steel Sleeves in a Aluminum Block.   Connecting rods are Forged POWDERED Metal.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 9:05am
They do run pretty well. Don't personally know about the towing aspect but if you say it's good for a 1/2 ton I'll take your word for it.

What i like is the Horse Power down low ... more like a diesel.... It comes on at 1400 rpm and you got PLENTY when you hit 2500 RPM.... I had a 5.4 and the Eco runs circles around it... Same with the 5.0 .. to get any HP you got to be up at 4500- 5000 rpm..and you STILL are 50 ft # under the ECO at half that rpm........ look at the FLAT torque curve.

Even the 6.2L has to hit 4000 RPM to put out more power.

Edited by steve(ill) - 18 Mar 2023 at 9:16am
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 9:21am
Friend of mine had one. Blew up with no warning. Ford would not help one bit. It was out of warranty but I can't remember by how much. New motor for it was $21k. He had maintained it reasonably well. Never did a lick of work just like most of the pickup owners nowadays. Took him work and back - 1/2 hr each way!! Basically gave it back to Ford and got a newer one with the old 5 litre and is happy with it. This was at 120 thousand km. 

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 18 Mar 2023 at 9:31am
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 9:48am
4500-5000 is winding it kind of tight.
3500-4000 is enough for anything I would ever have and not very often.
Maybe because I'm getting into the old guy class now.

Had one younger guy tell me recently "you all growed up guy's sure know a lot"
I think he was trying to be polite.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 9:56am
I agree with that RPM ... thats my point.. Most engines have to be 3500- 4000 to get any reasonable HP out of them....... the 3.5 Twin Turbo gets it in the 2000 -2500 range.. I like that. ........... GOOGLE engine problems, you wont find much.

Normal driving, empty ... i hardly ever high 2200 before the trans shifts.  Does that mean im OLD ? 

Edited by steve(ill) - 18 Mar 2023 at 10:00am
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 9:59am
Originally posted by orangeman orangeman wrote:

Jaybmiller: So very true - this one has about 110,000 on it one owner with maintenance records.  My old 7.3 liter 4x4 rides like a lumber wagon! LOL

whoah you musta had the tires aired down.  I always said mine rode like a "log" wagon.  Tongue
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 10:05am
Wow what great information Steve, DMiller, Ed,Dr. Allis, Jay and fixer- appreciate the guidance on this engine!!

As I sort through the TSB's on the 3.5 it seems like as long as FoMoCo has been in business that they certainly have the engineering talent to make a long design life engine. It looks as though maybe the 3.5 wasn't one of them. 

That said, am concerned that Ford was a little loose on their Engineering QA/QC over the timing chain rattle slap and cam phase sensors issues that was a subject of a Ford TSB's.  Am wondering now if and when Ford conceived of the 3.5 if they did any long design torture testing of the Phase 1 motor exceeding 100,000 mile +?  

Phase 2 3.5 engines look to have covered some of the ills of the Phase I design flaws starting around 2017.  And again, am wondering if Ford initiated an engine test design for the Phase II 3.5's beyond the 100,000+ mark.  

Am beginning to see a picture of perhaps why Cummins powered Dodge Rams are so numerous these days.

Respectfully, ~ Orangeman

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 10:37am
I fail to see ANY comparison of a 2500 Ram with a Cummins to any F-150 with a gas engine, turbo'd or not.  The 3.5 EcoBoost was a pretty serious attempt by FoMoCo to provide great gas mileage (empty) at reasonable road speeds and plenty of torque/HP if the truck does some trailer hauling. They achieved both. Now, any time you have two turbochargers and (2017? and up) twelve fuel injectors, there are more things to potentially fail. More parts make for more chances of parts failure. The timing chain thing and water pump failures are weak points that maybe should have been caught in testing?? That is why I maintain timing chain (and cam phazers) failures are directly related to non- frequent oil/filter changes of 6,000 miles (instead of 3,000 miles) and using 5W-20 (not 5W-30) syn oil. Also, the constant short trips scenario clearly causes issues in the real world, which FoMoCo engine testing never would have done. Their testing would have been 24 hrs a day at highway and faster speeds, not starting and driving 10 miles and shutting down for the day and then the same thing again at the end of the day. Pretty hard to get any "time" on the test engine doing it that way.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 11:08am
DrAllis, is the very same aspects I note of the Current Tier Four garbage that works Fine for LONG Haul Steady State at power or Stationary engines but on Vocational, Ag, Construction or Lightly utilized equipment becomes a incessant warranty, until falls out of, nightmare, then is only a constant economic expense beyond validity.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 4:24pm
We inherited a 2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost 4x4 about a year ago. My FIL had it and passed away. He bought a camper that we inherited as well. It is a two axle and fifth wheel tow. I think the camper weights 3750 empty. It pulls it like a Champ. The listed Ford towing capacity is like 4250 lbs. So we are just in the envelope and have to watch what all we load in the trailer. I wish it was the larger engine so I had more towing capacity, but I am amazed at how much power that little engine has! I am impressed.
Pastor Mike

Edited by allischalmerguy - 19 Mar 2023 at 4:28pm
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Wispitfiremike View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wispitfiremike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 11:31pm
I have plenty of buddies with 3.5s who have 180k plus on them with no serious issues. I  had a buddy who was a Chrysler mechanic and he had an interesting point, He would say not to listen to the mechanic as the only ones they see were the bad ones, there were plenty of them they never saw. .  Is it possible there are some issues , of course but most other makes have their issues too. I just bought an F150 3 weeks ago and my list was 3.5 or 5.0. right truck and price would determine which one I got.  I also don't pull anything near the trucks max so really wasn't concerned. 
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 8:10am
Dr. Allis - I probably introduced a curveball in the discussion by mentioning the Cummins powered Ram and that was not intended.  

Was thinking about the 7.3L power strokes that are still here but getting on up in years.  As for a new used truck, I am open to either gas or diesel, but would prefer an American brand so long as the design longevity is apparent. 

That said, it appears that Ram trucks have gained market share that was formerly ground that Ford, GMC and Cheverolet held so am just taking note of their presence.   Am guessing with the economic stressors in the country that the initial price point is driving Rams popularity gain to a degree.  But, what else is driving that popularity?

Am just beginning to evaluate the secondary (used) American truck market to find something a little more comfortable to drive that has a good design longevity.  With the American built trucks there are numerous great options available for both transmission and engine packages - so am certain something will come up that will fit the bill.  

As always, appreciate all the good insights offered here by the forum members.  

Respectfully,  ~ Orangeman

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:42am
Originally posted by orangeman orangeman wrote:

That said, it appears that Ram trucks have gained market share that was formerly ground that Ford, GMC and Cheverolet held so am just taking note of their presence.   Am guessing with the economic stressors in the country that the initial price point is driving Rams popularity gain to a degree.  But, what else is driving that popularity?

~ Orangeman

I've found this thread to be interesting in the NEW technology put into 1/2 ton grocery getters that wannabe real trucks. 
 That being said; The popularity of Dodge's taking away market share from the others is all do to the Cummins engine, even if the truck itself may not be a refined as some others. The 5.9 & 6.7 Cummins are built as REAL diesels. Do you ever see a brand new over-the-road-truck with a V-8 anymore? Not one! It used to be done purely for cubic inches and now a 6 will outdo what V-8 were used for and more efficiently.
 Why do you think there are so many places that offer conversion kits to install the 5.9/6.7 Cummins engines in just about anything, but NO place has kit to put any of the Power Jokes or Duracraps in anything?
 Following that, I've been offered more for my 89 Dodge with 320,000 on it that My dad paid for it new. My answer is I wouldn't trade 2 new trucks for this old truck.  

Edited by PaulB - 24 Mar 2023 at 6:30am
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 3:41pm
In 2012 I traded out of a 08 6.4 diesel into the 3.5 ecoboost.  With the diesel I saw trouble ahead with Ford/Navistar poor enginering.  As a example is the fact that any major work on the 6.4 requires removing the cab.   I saw the 3.5 as a refreshing change and was really impressed with the towing ability of that little engine. I drove it 80k with no problems and would not hesitate to buy another one.    Now at age 75 I think I'm done buying new pickups as the price is way out of my range.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic