This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flywheel and pressure plate bolt spec IB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flywheel and pressure plate bolt spec IB
    Posted: 27 Jul 2024 at 10:24pm
 I want to install the flywheel and pressure plate on my IB with new bolts. The existing bolts are not marked which leads me to believe they are Grade 2.   I'm told the flywheel torque spec is 50 lbs. which would be a Grade 5. The top 3 threads on the pressure plate bolts are flat and appear to be stretched which I'd expect on a 70 year old bolt especially if Grade 2. I'm cosidering at least a Grade 5.  What was the factory spec on these bolts?   
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2024 at 6:51am
Use gr 5 minimum or better yet gr 8.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2024 at 7:15am
With something like that no reason not to use grade 8
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2024 at 9:17am
I third the motion! I wouldn't use anything but grade 8 especially in the engine or drivetrain. Sheetmetal and or panels, grade 5 is fine.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Freewheeling View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2024 at 10:42am
I agree but I'm just wondering what the factory spec was.   The grade will also give me a clue to the torque spec.  For example, if the pressure plate spec was a grade 2 then I can use a grade 8 but would torque it to 9 rather than 25 lbs/ft . SAE J429f grade marking standards were first published in 1949 so its possible that no marking doesn't necessarily mean the bolts were grade 2. 
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2024 at 10:56am
A grade 8 bolt screwed into a cast iron flywheel is used is overkill. And in fact because it cannot be torqued properly, might be worse than a lower grade bolt.

I would use a grade 5 at most, and secure it with a bit of blue loctite.
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2024 at 6:13am
Go to Tractor Supply and get Grade 8 bolts and be done with it. Grade 8 may be a little overkill, but do you want to split the tractor down the road because of a bolt failure? A little Loctite is a good idea and will give you even more peace of mind.

Edited by Phil48ACWC - 29 Jul 2024 at 6:25am
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2024 at 8:52am
Sorry, but using Grade 8 bolts isn't overkill in engine, chassis or drivetrain applications. Use the same torque specs with either a shakeproof washer or locktite or both. You won't have any problems...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2024 at 2:38pm
Great discussion guys. I tend to agree that an 8 might be a problem if torqued to the max of 25 lbs/ft in cast iron.  Cast is weaker than the steel bolt and it's likely to strip the cast threads.  Also the 18 threads per inch on the 5/16 UNC is still quite fine for a cast application, IMO.  I'm going to contact a couple old Allis dealers and an even older Allis factory worker if he's still alive.   I'll share what I find.  Ermm
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2024 at 2:57pm
WOW !!!! This is not a Hi Performance machine ,grade 8 torqued to spec. in a good cast thread is all that's needed . Good luck on on your journey.

Edited by Fred in Pa - 29 Jul 2024 at 3:05pm
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2024 at 3:04pm
I know.  It's the old perfectionist gear head in me. Big smile
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2024 at 3:29pm
If you're worried about stripping the threads in the flywheel (and you SHOULDN'T BE) then, you better loosen all your cylinder head bolts because they are torqued to 75-80 ft lbs !!!!! and in a Harvey diesel engine the head bolts are 165 ft lbs and never have the threads give up in the block !!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2024 at 6:11pm
OK here's what I've learned.  New Agco bolts for the model B pressure plate are Grade 5. George, the Allis employee died last year at 92.  He started building B's and had a couple of hs own.  Grandson looked at his shop notes and found pressure plate torgue @ 15 lbs/ft.  though he said he never saw gramps use a torque wrench.  So Grade 5 it is gentlemen.   Cheers! Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic