This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Florida bridge failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Florida bridge failure
    Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 9:38am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 11:15am
What is the deal with that,, something went horribly wrong
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 1:12pm
I heard on the radio yesterday they erected the bridge on Saturday then went to tighten the cables a few days later and down it went. Surely this wasn't the case but I hope it wasn't somebody took a cable loose prematurely and down it went. I can't imagine trying to live with that
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 2:15pm
Today they are saying someone seen cracks in it a couple days ago
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 4:12pm
I'd have ALL the 'engineers' who signed off on it up on murder charges. And I'm going EASY on them !!! With today's 'technology' and computers there is ZERO EXCUSE for those people dying !! A WHOLE lot of people need to be held ACCOUNTABLE.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 4:33pm
We had a road bridge built here a couple of years ago to replace a perfectly adequate one that was over 100 years old. The new one collapsed before they even got it finished and it had to be re-designed and done again!  I'm still afraid to drive over it or under it!!!
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I'd have ALL the 'engineers' who signed off on it up on murder charges. And I'm going EASY on them !!! With today's 'technology' and computers there is ZERO EXCUSE for those people dying !! A WHOLE lot of people need to be held ACCOUNTABLE.

Hang tight there Jay.  Please remember the construction crew was performing post tensioning activities, "AT the TIME of the collapse".  Something tells me we are going to find out, the work crew had no clue what they were doing, or had dialed in incorrect values.

All my years in construction have taught me one thing......Communication ends with the first person told, and the lowly person performing the actual work, has no idea of the requirements.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 6:14pm
Why did they have people driving under it, while working on it, would be the question needs to answered.

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 6:27pm
In New York State, anything that involves a state highway, construction or maintenance is overseen by (NYSDOT) state inspectors. I know that government doesn't always do things better than the private sector, but in this case, I, personally, think it's a better way to go. State inspectors don't care about costs. I sure hope someone didn't take shortcuts to save a few dollars on the construction of this bridge.
Originally posted by Alberta Phil Alberta Phil wrote:

We had a road bridge built here a couple of years ago to replace a perfectly adequate one that was over 100 years old.

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you. Any 100 year old highway structure, especially in climates where there is snow, and thus anti-icing chemicals used, has outlived it's structural life (by far!!!).

In my over 30 years of experience in highway maintenance, I've seen many bridges that were built in the 1950's that were structurally deteriorated to the point where they were unsafe. Some had weight restrictions imposed and others were permanently closed. Some that remained open, scared me, after I had been under them and saw the shape they were in.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 8:27pm
My thoughts are the same as Richarmo...why were they "doing stuff" when traffic is around...under...
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 8:45pm
I was under the impression this 'high tech' bridge was built offsite ,then hauled in, lifted,rotated and sat onto the 2 support columns(though not secured to them). If this is correct, the bridge is nothing more than a simple beam, a dang heavy one, especially for just people to walk on. I'm thinking it  'should' have already been 'post tensioned' or whatever the jargon is to make it stong. Yeesh they somehow moved it from 'A' to 'B' so perhaps it wasn't hauled properly(say 3 point support((ends and middle)) and something went wrong inside it. I've seen far larger pieces made and installed  and those bridges are still standing. Since the media here changes feet to metres( usually wrong) or they mix the two, reports here are confusing but again, I'm led to believe this thing was 100' long and weighed 950 tons ! That alone sounds bad to me as the two end columns need to support 500 tons each. Have to wonder how deep they drilled to find solid bedrock. Another isssue I saw was the uncoated rebar. I don't know how salty the air is there,but I KNOW up here CaCl used in winter EATS rebar and destroys bridges. Water + salt = saltwater, seeps into porus concrete, finds rebar, turns steel into rust and expands making bigger cracks, makes it worse, repeats, then gee the bridge failed .... 3 local ones here have been 'rebuilt' since 1967 yet the 100 year old dam took the jerks 2 weeks to break apart!
I'd like to know if there is a real 'test' bridge somewhere of this design, that's been erected and monitored, or if this was approved solely based upon a 'computer simulation'. If only a simulation, then I understand exactly WHY it failed. I deal with simulators everyday and NONE can properly simulate the REAL World, NONE.
Someone has to be made accountable..this was NOT an accident.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 8:48pm
the walk bridge cost was 15 and a half million $$$. "new and improved" didn't help on this one!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 9:11pm
There is no alternative but to build bridges in major metropolitan areas using ABC (Accelerated Bridge Construction). Have you ever driven in Miami at rush hours? It is a giant parking lot with all highways open. Imagine closing down a major highway. That's why most of their construction is done at night.

Bridges are built all the time using ABC. Most of the newer major bridges around New York City (and I'm sure other major cities) are built using ABC. Some of these bridges are multi-lane and even multi-level. My point is that much bigger bridges than this pedestrian bridge are built using ABC and set in place on weekends or nights when traffic is diminished.

My bet is, when the investigation is complete, it will come out that someone cut corners, either on materials (concrete, reinforcing steel, cable, etc.) or someone did not follow proper engineering specifications or practices, probably in the name of increasing profits.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 12:02am
I heard the bridge was 950 tons and 175 ft long.. There is suppose to be a TOWER at one end and cables run down to the bridge center to support it UPWARD........ that was not installed "YET".......... With 8 lanes of traffic, I think there should have been a BASE installed in the median between the 4 lanes each way so you were spanning just 90 ft... Could have been removed AFTER the tower and cables were installed....... but WHY not leave a center support forever ??

Edited by steve(ill) - 18 Mar 2018 at 12:05am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 12:45am
cuz someone would hit the center support and prolly gits killed! we always observed at our office, that if there was anything close to a roadway....it's gonna get hit by someone in a vehicle! one really weird accident comes to mind, the only power pole in a several acre area on top of a steep embankment, a van went off the road, climbed the embankment (about 70 ft on about a 45 degree angle) and hit that pole!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:29am

Well,,,I must be one of those people ole Shameless is talkin bout,,,,, they just finished up a "Total Renovation" on the local KFC in town and they put in a NEW 6"X6" metal post where you have to drive around it to get to the pay window,,,and,,,,and,,,you guessed it,,,,they painted the blame thing BLACK,,,!! I almost hit the dang thing the other night cause I did not see it till almost right on top of it,!!
The night manager said she had nothing to do with it being black,,I told her I would bring some white paint next time I go by,,,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 1:55pm
the local phone company buried their line past a buddies driveway, and they put one of them above ground junction boxes right beside the driveway. he went in and told them they gotta move it. they said it had to be there! so when he pulled out of his driveway with his big disk, guess what gots hit and bent to chit? they moved it!
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 3:00pm
The same company designed two local bridges. Both cross the Mississippi river.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

cuz someone would hit the center support and prolly gits killed! we always observed at our office, that if there was anything close to a roadway....it's gonna get hit by someone in a vehicle! one really weird accident comes to mind, the only power pole in a several acre area on top of a steep embankment, a van went off the road, climbed the embankment (about 70 ft on about a 45 degree angle) and hit that pole!

The neighbors with a big cattle ranch have had a contractor put a lot of new oil field pipe H braces in the fences along the county road. Being thrifty they did not put in new wire or T post. The daughter calls the pipe posts "car magnets". Seems every car that hits the fence always bends a pipe over.   
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 6:11am
[TUBE]Ucflj-MsJBI[/TUBE]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic