This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally looking for parts for the One Ton,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally looking for parts for the One Ton,,,,
    Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 10:14pm
  Well,,a bit of an update on the One Ton GMC,,,,
 Well, my initial thought was to upholster the 60/40 seat but after talking to two upholsters,,it didn't take too long to re-think my plans,,,!!
 One upholster quoted $600+/- and the other only wanted $850,,,,!!!
 Then considered some saddle Blanket seat covers and could not find the pattern I wanted
 My younger Bro called me and tells me there is a really nice complete seat on MarketPlace and a after pulling it up ,,,it is Perfect and the color I wanted for just $140,,,WOW,,!! G
 Gonna have to modify the brackets as it rides a bit higher than the original but an hour or two with a grinder and a welder oughta do the trick,,,,,Clap 
 The second part is to replace the tan carpet and I ain't had any luck on that one yet,,, I saw where JC Whitney was back in business but no luck there either,,,,????
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 4:03am
Try LMC truck...
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 7:17am
Am I gonna get to drive this rig?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 7:49am

Thanks Dave,,,they used to send me a catalog years ago,,,,
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 8:14am
I too miss JC Whitney.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Am I gonna get to drive this rig?

Why Sure, Thad!!!
 I think I am finally to where I can say my front and back yard are in pretty good shape and looking like they did before,,,
  SOoooo,,I been splitting my time between working on the one ton and also on the gray one of Pat's tractors  (?)  I KNOW, I KNOW,, Thad,,I'm hopeless,,ain't  I,,??LOLLOL and I hope she know's it,,,!!LOL
 ALSO,,,started to haul out some LONG stashed and hidden parts and pieces out of the garage from around Ole Red. I got to reclaim one of Ole Red's  660's  that I "temporarily" used on my Son's 351W that I rebuilt for his I/O,,,,what,,,two years ago,,,,Wink
 I've got some HI-PO parts mostly SBC that I am  going to post here plus the Craftsman 109 I told you about and two bench drill presses before I put them on Marketplace,,,,,
So much to do,,,so little time,,,,,
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 8:20am

Hey DMiller,,,I used to buy a lot of stuff from JC Whitney, and looking to restart again. I have checked their web site and they are just getting started and web site still needs some fine tuning.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 9:11am
Thought had completely closed, will look as to website.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 12:05pm
Use to buy from their other catalogue - WARSHAUSKI - was the business side seller for Whitney . Some good stuff and many questionable items from both companies . 
  Bought a cam and solid lifters for my 324 Olds engine I had in my 50 Olds - got at least 3,000 miles from it before lobes went flat and lifter bases collapsed from wear . 
  Then mechanic in station was running a cam from them in his Plymouth 6 cyl flat head in his stock car and it worked great . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

Use to buy from their other catalogue - WARSHAUSKI - was the business side seller for Whitney . Some good stuff and many questionable items from both companies . 
  Bought a cam and solid lifters for my 324 Olds engine I had in my 50 Olds - got at least 3,000 miles from it before lobes went flat and lifter bases collapsed from wear . 
  Then mechanic in station was running a cam from them in his Plymouth 6 cyl flat head in his stock car and it worked great . 

My 54 had a Rocket 324 in it, cam and lifters were bad, went with JCW and was ok, seems those engines were poor overhead oilers so destroyed themselves.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 12:20pm

Well,, I've come to yet  another road block on parts for the One Ton,,,!!Angry
 I had decided to change oil and filter on The TH400 transmission plus the modulator and No problemo getting the correct filter and gasket from Amazon, but that modulator is another problem. I ordered the  modulator that Amazon recomended for for the transmission altho, it don't look like the OE at all.
 The numbers stamped on top are 3027221  plus HRD  plus M2. I run those on my search engine but NOTHING comes up,,,???? Tried those numbers on Amazon and Ebay and again nuttin,!!!!
 Where is ole Steve with that magic Search wand of his when I need his books? The trk is a 1988 GMC  C3500 with a 7.4 (454) and TH400 transmission,,,,,,,,
 HELP,,,,!!!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 1:42pm
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 8:13am

pics
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 8:16am
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1988,c3500+pickup,7.4l+454cid+v8,1034334,transmission-automatic,governor+/+modulator,8500

they call it a GOVERNOR/ MODULATOR if your looking under the C3500/7.4.TM400 catagory... a couple of them say "adjustable".. so they have the screw ( maybe inside the base).

Edited by steve(ill) - 17 Jan 2024 at 8:27am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 8:21am
I dont think the SHAPE is a probleml.. One end fits in the bore and as long as that is the right size, if its round or square i dont think it matters... the hose is one the end instead of the side.... i think the adjuster screw is on the other end, instead of the top ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 17 Jan 2024 at 8:25am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 8:32am

Yeah Steve,,I've about decided that you are exactly correct. All the 15,256 modulators I've looked at are ALL shaped the same except for the number of colored strips and none look like what came out of the trk,!! The old modulator also had an adjustment screw to adjust the shift points up or down.     
 Amazon has a good "Verify your Part" checker ,,so I guess i'll have to go with that.
 Many THANKS for al your help,,,!!ClapClap
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 8:49am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 8:50am

CHIT,,,I always have SO much trouble uoloading pics on this site ,,it's always a dufferent thing,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 4:58pm
The adjuster screw is inside you stick a allen wrench in thur the vacuum line hole.at least thats the way adjustables worked when i did trany work in the 70's and 80's
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 8:23pm

Hey Dakota,,,,yeah, I just made myself worry bout trying to replace the vacuum regulator with one that was an EXACT duplicate but finally decided that a 35 year old trk is not gona have very many "In Kind" parts ,so I just looked the other way and installed the one Amazon sent me after supplying them with all the pertinate info,,,,AND,,,,,,,,,,and,,,,,, it did work like a new one ,!! The shift points were spot on and the tranny shifted to suit me OK,so I won;t have to do any adjustments,,,,Clap
 Since you are an ex -trans Guru,do you know if the TH400 has external band adjustments,?  The  reverse gear still hesitates a tiny bit before it starts forward. THe first forward gear snaps into gear as soon as you put in Drive,,,,?
 Another thing is that the small piece of hose going to the modulator was very lose on modulator and had been that way for many moons ,,,,??
 Thanks for any help.....ClapClap
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 12:06am

On one of the front wheels of the one ton,I noticed a metal ring of about 1/4" thick metal that had all the bolt holes drilled with a pretty sharp bevel,,,,? This "spacer is only on right side,,of trk,??? 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 8:45am
If your talking about a plate that sets over the lug studs... 1/4 inch is not much. Normally that would be used when aftermarket wheels are used and the clearance to the brake caliper or steering is too close. NEw rim might have had a different Stand Out... Why one side ? that would be odd.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 9:55am

Yeah, Steve, when I was checking all the Amazons of the world for new lug nuts,,I read something where they offered similar but have not found any since,,?  The 7 wheels are the factory Budd type wheels and the chrome lug nuts I got have the same taper as the wheels so I don't know,,,? It's just odd that there is only one of those spacers,,,??
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 10:43am
Those "spacers" are not that at all. They are a way for the OEM to allow stud pilot lug nuts to retain a "unimount" wheel. These later design wheels do not have a tapered lug nut seat and are centered with the hub thus called "Hub Piloted" Those plates are not required if using tapered lug nuts on taper seat rims.

Kinda/Sorta like this:

A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 1:51pm

Well Codger,,,,many thanks for that heads up, Guy,,,,Clap
 Kinda weird it was even there, huh,,,??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 3:48pm
I understand what your saying Codger... but why would you not just buy the right lug nuts ??  Adaptor plate seems like an odd idea ?
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 4:22pm
Cost of production and use up existing stocks I'm certain. GM is the cheap of cheap when it comes to building cars in those days and swiped the idea straight from the trailer manufacturers which still go that way. Unimount nuts cost about five times as much to procure so the adapter plate was probably an easy offset pertaining to cost. Drums and rotors are also different between the two mounting styles, (hub, or stud pilot).

As a much younger kid back in the early 1980's when I was working at Friendly Chevrolet in Springfield, I got to mount an unbelievable amount of them; so quite familiar. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic