This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally Found One!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally Found One!
    Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 9:38pm
I've been wanting a WD45 for a looooong time - finally found one for sale that wasn't snapped up by the time I called. Tractor has sat for at least two years. Engine turns over but doesn't fire, doesn't have much compression. Spark at the distributor, rust (and no gas) in the tank - fair amount of rust washed out into the sed bowl when I put some gas in her. No suction at the air intake. Clean oil, antifreeze in the radiator. Curved shifter, factory-built loader frame (trip bucket). Some CaCl damage to the rear rims but not too bad. Not sure what serial # - fellow who went with me thought I had written it down and vice-versa! Rubber is decent with some UV cracking, very good tread. Tin is good except for the fenders which look like that had a very bad day somewhere along the way.  Gave $800 for it.....pictures to come once I get her loaded and home.

I've read about the curved shifter tranny but don't recall the significance of it - can someone fill me in? Thanks!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Sponsored Links

Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 9:46pm
congrats
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 9:47pm
It wasn't this one, was it?
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 9:59pm

Thanks,  Rick. Dream - it's in southern NH and has the 4-bolt wfe.

WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 10:09pm
A couple of questions....

Are there used WD45 fenders out there? I think I'll need at least the rhs, maybe both.

Is a possible cause of the low compression when I hand-cranked it because the cylinders are totally dry?

This tractor was bought new by the seller's grandfather and from what he described was used pretty hard over its life - will be a fun project to bring it back to life!

Thanks......
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 12:37am
Try putting a tablespoon of motor oil in each cylinder and see if that doesnt bring compression up.An older farmer I worked for had an old Oliver combine that would not start.The oil trick worked then.Just a thought.Also have heard someone say to use ATF instead.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 6:15am
Dave,                                           Good find!
I have found that looking for "the tractor " is like mushroom hunting, just stop and look around where you think it "or they" should be and there it "or they" will be looking right back at you! LOL
Maybe I should go mushroom "or tractor" hunting today. lmao

Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Chad(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 6:38am

Sounds like you did good Dave. With no suction and low compression, I'd say you have some valve issues. Pull the valve cover off and let us know what you find.

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 6:47am
The curved shift lever indicates the newer transmission which was used on the last of the WD's and all of the WD-45's.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 6:51am
Hey Dave! First of all Congrat's for finding a 45'! I'm sure you'll have a ball with that. I was thinking the same thing as Chad mentioned with having valve issues, especially if she was worked pretty hard most of her life. That's great that you finally grabbed one. I'm sure you'll want to get it fired up this summer, then you'll have a good reason to go out to the new "man cave" this coming Winter to turn the heat on and tinker!!  LOL!
Steve@B&B
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 7:48am
You will like that 45. I love mine. There are some fenders out there. Just got to keep your eyes open. I would pop the valve cover off and see what it looks like in there. Stick a little oil in the cylinders as well. Sounds like a fun project!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 8:11am
Thanks everyone - stuck or burned valves sounds like a real possibility. Dusty, thanks for reminding me about the curved shift lever.
Bringing the mostly dead ones back to life is something I really enjoy, so I'm looking forward to getting into this one. I'll let you know what I find inside that valve cover.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 4:01pm
If it has sat long enough, the dry cylinder idea could be possible.  My WD45 had been setting for a long time, and when I put the hand crank to it you could just spin it like nothing at all.  After the oil got to flowing again, it runs great, doesnt smoke, etc.  Good find and good luck!
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 4:09pm
Dave you will love the 45 even if youi have to spend some money to get her going. they are great for work or show. Mark
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 4:56pm
Boy, every time I read another post on this thread I'm more and more eager to get this one home and into the shop! I'm looking forward to taking it to our local "just for fun" pulls - will have to take it down to my friend's farm and give it a workout or two.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 7:46pm
As to the curved shifter.  Remember the curved shifter had the constant mesh transmission whereby the helical gears stayed in "constant mesh" and collars were shifted onto splines at the end of the gears.  Misuse could cause the tractor to "Pop out of gear.  Whereby the splines on the gears were rounded. 
Just keep it in mind when you get it up and running.  You may try running downhill and slacking off the throttle or pulling under load and you will see the popping.  Hope you don't.
Sounds like a good tractor.  Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 8:36pm
Hi Bill - I hope the tranny turns out okay. Both my CA and D14 had tranny troubles.... am crossing my fingers that this one was not abused too much. Will let you know!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 8:43pm
Good find Dave! I had just read the other post on here that Chuck had a WD for sale, and it was very similar to your 45 by the way you were describing it, right down to the beat up fenders. That's why I asked. I'm wit hte rest on here. I would put a little oil in the cylinders just because it's been sitting awhile. Then I would pull the valve cover. I'll bet you have some issues under there. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 8:43pm
It always seems like a good idea to go ahead and pull the head for a real look.  My WC probably would have started but the  oil rings could have broken and tore up the cylinders at any time.  While it was off I cleaned up the valves a bit.  Head gaskets are cheap.   
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 9:05pm

We'll load it by pushing it onto the trailer, get it into the shop and pull a few bits off to see how things look. Will let you know. Dream, the fender on this one is unlike anything I've ever seen - looks like a giant reached down and crumpled it in his fist! My buddy says that tire chains can catch on the fender and do a number on it. 

WC, CA, D14, WD45
JCinPA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCinPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 10:00pm
Dave, the fenders on ours usualy got bent from turning to short with the Drag harrow.  This would bring the chain links right up the back tire.  Buy the time ya got her stopped the fender was folded.  Just sayin, not that I ever had this happen 2 or 3 times.     JCinPA
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 8:24am
Just talked with the seller. Says that the tranny is good. Good start! JC, I can just picture that chain crawling up the back tire! Nasty but bet it happened a lot.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
JCinPA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCinPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 11:00am
Dave you're gonna love that tractor.  Always will have a soft spot for the ol 45.
 JCinPA
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 12:56pm
Funny you mention the chain crawling up the back tire. 

Dad and I went and picked up a new rim for my 45 today and when we got back he noticed a three section 12 foot drag I brought home last week. I had a couple chains wrapped around it as the rods for the hitch are missing. He said, "Be careful turning with that thing, the chains will climb right up the back of that tire". Almost sounded like he had some experience with that sort of thing.

Where are the pics Dave? Your slacking. All this talk of new 45's and no pictures yet.... 
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 2:12pm
Glad you found one. 45s are hard to come by around here. Had a guy over in Carolina had 2 WDs for sale, one for parts, other could be a runner. I want a 45 one of these days. I need to get finished with my C first, and then redo my grandads' C. At the rate i'm going, I won't live long enough to worry about the 45.LOL!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 3:29pm
I'll have pictures after Tuesday - pick up is that evening. Sorry to keep you guys waiting! I caught a lot of flack at home because I forgot to take a camera with me Friday. Won't make that mistake next time. I'll bet that a lot of farmers have experience with that chain crawling business!! It'd be easy to have happen.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
dannyraddatz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 6:52pm
Dave,
Welcome to the family of A.C. WD45 owners! I just passed 1 year of ownership this February and have loved ever minute on the tractor!
Danny

Edited by dannyraddatz - 02 May 2010 at 6:52pm
Danny Raddatz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic