This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fiatallis FR220.2 Wheel Loader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiatallis FR220.2 Wheel Loader
    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 2:12pm
I recently came into possession of a FiatAllis FR220.2 Wheel loader. Most everything seems to work and the machine moves and functions as you would expect however the travel speed is ungodly slow. What would a person look at in order to troubleshoot the slow speed? The service manual has some trouble shooting for shifting problems however nothing for the slow speed.

Sponsored Links

NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 2:36pm
does it have a high and low range?
HD3
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 3:53pm
Filters and flows.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 4:22pm
Power shift 4 speed with Fwd- Rev clutch.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 4:34pm

How do you shift the transmission ??  Older units had ONE lever to pick 1-2-3-4 gears, then a SECOND lever to pick FORWARD or REVERSE... You may have that all in one JOY STICK ?? ............. are you only using 1st gear ??

Service manual ........... Looks like a joint venture with Hitachi, or rebadge.

Edited by steve(ill) - 25 Nov 2020 at 4:36pm
sum1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 6:16pm
The transmission is an auto shift and also has the gear selector on the steering column. It will shift all gears however the travel speed in each gear is very slow. I would say the max travel speed is maybe 15km/hour less then half of what its rated at.

It has both Fiat Allis and Fiat Hitachi on the machine i'm not sure which brand it actually falls under. The loader is what Steve has pictured.

sum1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 6:30pm
Not sure this will help however here is the machine digging. The wheels will not spin or spin very little when digging the transmission almost powers out.

levipatch View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levipatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 8:13pm
Sounds like no throttle up of engine
Billy..Big cam 300, bcam 400,,941 CAT.,,Deere excavator..900 row crop.. 66 D 17 diesel IV... 985 Pratt and Whitney..4360 Pratt and Whitney... gitten tired !
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 8:17pm
IIt may not be the transmission, it may be the torque converter slipping and not enough transfer of power....... I think i would look at the manual and look for FILTERS and SUCTION SCREEN on the torque converter system... may actually be the TRANS filter and screen... inspect/ clean / proper oil level............ If all that fails, you might have a leaking seal ring / etc on the torque converter.... could probably test with  pressure gauges on test ports.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 7:20pm
I agree with Steve, seems likely it's the torque converter.  I've got an AC 545 that gets slow the longer it is run.  I know what is wrong, just don't have the ambition right now to tackle the job.  The intake tube in the transmission is cracked and it doesn't get a full supply of oil.  If it overfill it to cover the crack it works better but as it gets warmer, it moves slower and slower.  Fixing it is fairly straight forward, remove the cab, remove the hood and radiator, remove the engine then you can remove the transmission and spend an hour or less putting in a new intake tube, then put it all back together!
sum1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 2:52pm
The issue was with the throttle cable. I made some adjustments now it revs up and runs like a new machine. Night and Day difference. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic