This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fertilizer cost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fertilizer cost
    Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 5:51pm
Just wondering if fertilizer is up 1/3 across the country? Will be hard to make a profit this year if inputs are this high. May need to go another direction here shortly and start considering human waste. Just seems like another way the government will have more control at the end of day.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 6:07pm
Most fertilizers are Petro Chem derived, that is due to SCUPJoe's Oil Gambit.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 7:31pm
Was told by a fertilizer dealer years ago, the price will be as high as the farmer will pay.  When he stops buying it will come down.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

Just wondering if fertilizer is up 1/3 across the country? Will be hard to make a profit this year if inputs are this high. May need to go another direction here shortly and start considering human waste. Just seems like another way the government will have more control at the end of day.

Heard all that whining about fertilizer prices back in the “ethanol corn boom “. Right before everyone made record farm profits.

Do your math, plan accordingly. There are worksheets available that calculate N requirements based on price of corn and price of N to arrive at optimal return on investment., rather than just pouring to it for max yield in bushels. Net dollars per acre is more important than bu/acre.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 8:01pm
I didn’t mean to sound harsh like that. Just saying, there’s options.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:23pm
jim, be careful on the city sludge... it can contain a lot of chems and heavy metals that are not conducive to livestock feed... 
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:24pm
A few things come into play I guess. Ground here takes a good shot to make any yield. When I was a kid, corn did 60-80 bpa, now with a good nutrient plan, can do on the plus side of 200bpa and have seen some recordings toward 300, soybeans were not hardly grown at all, now have made better than 75bpa when all the stars align. Small grain does the same mostly because the newer machines spit more back for the birds. Cattle are becoming extinct because we lost the dairy industry years ago. Beef seem to do ok but still small herds for the most part. Turning to horse country because we can grow hay without irrigation and most larger farms have been divided up over the years for homes. Ground rent has shot through the roof because the government is paying 300$ an acre not to farm it. Not sure I buy into the high fuel as the only reason because have seen it much higher, but fertilizer has only increased. Tbone, your point is well noted but have been using a pencil for several years to make a good number out of losses and it’s getting harder. Just me ranting a little as I like watching crops grow. Just think it should be worth a buck or two for the efforts.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 5:46am
re: May need to go another direction here shortly and start considering human waste.
1st I thought, start with the corpses taking up space in guv bldgs in DC......

then, wondered if it's agin the law to use human excrement as fertilizer ( though it is used )

I know,it'd take a heckuva LOT of leaves and grass clippings to  boost a few acres, let alone 100s, but I've SEEN what it's done for the wife's old 1/2 acre here. Cities here collect 'green waste(leaves,grass,kit scraps) but should GIVE it to local farmers for free ( it gets dumped...sigh)

Edited by jaybmiller - 15 Apr 2021 at 5:50am
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 6:48am
Corn is tickling $6.  200 BPA is $1200 per acre.  Again, I did not mean to sound harsh....I recall the ethanol boom I mentioned.  I was at a wedding reception, a guy talking.  He was a school teacher, by then retired, had always been a part time farmer.  He made the comment (about diesel cost) 50 more cents a gallon and I'm done farming!  I thought....really?  At the end of the day, fuel cost per acre is relatively minor.  And that following fall and the 2 years after, people profited at record levels.  Just saying, potential of $1200 per acre gross seems to give you some wiggle room.  

Jay, in Michigan, you can use human waste, but it must be directly injected, cannot be spread topical and worked in later.  I've never done it....not really all that interested. 

As for leaves and clippings etc., well, that's what crop residue is for, building organic matter.  Straw from oats, wheat, etc. is not waste!  People wonder why you charge so much for straw sometimes.  Well, it's because it contains nutrients, and if you bale it off and remove it from the field you're removing nutrients.  With livestock, if you bed them then spread the manure and bedding material back out into the field, then it gets put back.  

Edited by Tbone95 - 15 Apr 2021 at 8:23am
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 8:30am
At 12K there would be a lot ( think you typed an extra 0), but yes at 6$ corn & beans there is still a little room. They hay ground is a different story unless all turns to premium hay. I would say on average, 30-40% is perfect 40-50% is fair, 10-20% is poor( rain etc..).
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 9:49am
re: As for leaves and clippings etc., well, that's what crop residue is for, building organic matter.

I just figure the more variety and volume of 'compost' onto the fields, the better. I know my 15 year 'study' of dumping 'anything/everything' sure helped the garden !

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

At 12K there would be a lot ( think you typed an extra 0), but yes at 6$ corn & beans there is still a little room. They hay ground is a different story unless all turns to premium hay. I would say on average, 30-40% is perfect 40-50% is fair, 10-20% is poor( rain etc..).
Yes, had fixed that, looks like at the same time about!Embarrassed

Edited by Tbone95 - 15 Apr 2021 at 10:27am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 10:26am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: As for leaves and clippings etc., well, that's what crop residue is for, building organic matter.

I just figure the more variety and volume of 'compost' onto the fields, the better. I know my 15 year 'study' of dumping 'anything/everything' sure helped the garden !
You mean like crop rotation?  Hahaha

Yes, I get your point.  

But as you yourself said, access to it is one thing, then any sort of hauling / spreading / incorporating...
soggybottomboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 9:59am
Well, tickling 6$ sounds like a windfall, and it is if that is what you got for your corn. For the last 6 years corn has seen a lot of 3s in front with an occasional 4 and up to about 4.40$ after you subtract the basis which has been from .20$ to .33$ a bushel here. I sold corn for $3.12 last summer so when the price hit $4 here i figured i had better sell some because historically that has been an excellent price. Figured that price wouldn't last very long. Well what do you know, it went to $4.15 so i sold some more. Sold some more for $4.33, the highest price i have had for several years. I was feeling pretty good about it, and all the "experts" were saying "don't let this tremendous rally pass without selling your crop". Well, corn hit $4.50, so i sold some more. By the time i brought it in they were paying$4.75. Decided to hold out for $5 for the rest of it, and i really didn't think it would get there. I guess i am a poor marketer, but this gives you a bit of an idea why even tho corn is $6 that is not neccesarily what we sold for. They say the market takes the stairs up and the elevator down. It's more like and elevator with a broken cable when it starts going down, and you never know what small geo-political event will set that in motion. It just does not sit well when you have worked hard to make that slim profit over the years, and when the market suddenly rewards you every input supplier jacks the prices up on their products. I wish we could do that.

allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:41am
I believe Tbone is looking at current prices, corn is over 6$ here now, have seen one place local offer 6.41$ , beans are over 13$. You are correct though— true figures are what you actually get when selling (low 4’s here at market before deductions last fall)

Edited by allisbred - 18 Apr 2021 at 7:42am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:57am
Well yes, actual sale price varies. Your local basis could be different than mine. Moisture, FM, etc etc...so market price is the starting point we all can use. That’s what I meant, starting with that, there’s room to work with.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:22am
AG News here noted China bought EVERY Available Soybean last year that was in marketers hands, then tried to buy ALL the US Corn reserve stocks, stopped as prices escalated out of their reach.  Wheat is gonna be slim this year as the Upper Central Grain belt states ride out a SEVERE Drought and have stopped planting.  

One major Flood MW USA, a round of disastrous weather events that tend to occur regularly and are due NOW could wipe out much of US Production this year was a key point in the dissertation I heard.  Chinese markets could see a withdrawal of US Availability this season of any and ALL crops.
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:19am
I've always seen the fertilizer prices follow the grain prices to an extent. It seems the fertilizer price will rise with the prices of grain but then not decrease as fast as the grain prices.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 4:41pm
Well Farmboy your observations are 100% correct   That has been my experiences 
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 6:02pm
I wouldn't SELL the Chinese one damn soybean until 366 days without  having to wear a mask......

jes sayin....

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I wouldn't SELL the Chinese one damn soybean until 366 days without  having to wear a mask......

jes sayin....

Got enough money to live on and service all of your debts and fulfill your grain contracts all by yourself eh? Well good for you. Most farms aren’t in that condition.

Edited by Tbone95 - 20 Apr 2021 at 7:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic