This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

farmall h connecting rods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: farmall h connecting rods
    Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 10:28pm
just wondering if connecting rods from a w4 be the same as farmall H since they were basically the same tractor .. h being the row crop version of the w4 standard.. i was just looking for a set of 4 for future use
if farming was easy everybody would be doing it
Sponsored Links

Tony OR View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony  OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 10:40am
Rob !!  Yes  rods  are  same for  W-4  as   H.  Tony
To visit our web page click here:
http://www.tonystractors.com
Thank you and have a GREAT day!!
Tony & Barb
BrianC,Ont View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC,Ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 4:21pm
Rob; Going to put some more compresion in the 226.
farmer_rob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 4:30pm
not the one im running now but the  one im making for my father .. im just gathering the parts i need now .. i have a  E226 and have 15.5x38's.
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 5:10pm

I would like to know the dimensions of those rods, if you fellas would share?  Do they have the same bearing width as a WD journal?

My purpose is buliding a farm engine that is compressed for alcohol.  I had much rather accomplish that with a compatible, longer rod than a taller piston.
There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 6:04pm

h rod center to center 8 inches long  rod journal 2.250 if my notes are right.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 9:07pm
Thanks Pankey.

You wouldn't happen to have the notes on a 135 Massey Ferguson 3 cylinder gas rod would ya?  Seems I remember them to be real close to the same crankpin size as the Allis 226, diameter and bearing width.  I once knew, but did not take notes on it - the folly of youth!

WD's just do it better.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 10:13pm
mlpankey i know there is more to stroking then just droppin in longer connecting rods.. does the crank have to be reworked so the throw would be longer .. i know there would be clearance issues with the block itself so there would be machining needed
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 11:25pm
What???
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 7:00am
I think that you need to offset grind the crank, but Pankey knows for sure. I dont know how much or where exactly.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 12:00pm
standard 226 crank is 2.375 working from memory here at work the h rod is 2.250 . so the crank would have to be turned down you could pick up a slight increase in stroke if you offset ground it and picked up the whole 1/8 inch. If i was wanting to add stroke I would use the d19 gas or diesel rod wd45diesel rod etc you could pickup 3/8 stroke by going to the 2 inch rod journal or you can use the farmal c rod with a 1 3/4 rod jpurnal and pick up 5/8 stroke. now heres the kicker allis 226 rods are 7.5 iches long the h rod is 8 inches long the wd45 diesel and d19 rod is 7 3/8 long the c farmal rod is 7 1/4 long. I think the massey rod hudson asked about is the one jim headrick used in his 292 drag motors and i am thinking they are 7 inches long could be wrong on that . offset grind the crank for the h rod with the 4.125 bore is 247 cubic inches d19 wd 45 diesel rod crank offset ground for that rod is 260 cubic inches same bore 4 1/8 . c farmal rod offset ground crank 273.9 cubic inches with 4 1/8 bore.

Edited by mlpankey - 15 Jan 2010 at 1:56pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 8:46am

The 135 Massey rod is much bigger than what can be used in a 292 chevy.  I rebuilt one several years ago and noticed the rods would be a good cross-breed for the Allis, but never wrote down the measurements. In the years since, I've forgotten what they were.  What I do remember was that the rod bearing was a close match in mm to the 2.375" journal with a very close match on bearing/journal width as well.  I'm almost certain they were 8" long or over - but wouldn't swear to it.  Very large/heavy rods, not really suitable for pulling, but perhaps good for use in a modified engine to farm with (which is what I'm after).

The mopar flathead rods are a good bunch of rods to consider, mainly because they're plentiful.  The smaller versions have a 2" journal 1.625" wide with the bigger 237/251 CID versions having a 2.125" diameter journal.  For some reason mopar used a single piston compression height, and varied the rod lengths for various strokes.  Makes for some variability that helps tailor a build.  I copied the following information off the Vintage Power Wagon site.  The CID, Stroke, and corresponding rod lengths for the mopar L-6 type engines.

Piston Displacement 218 cu. in. 230 cu. in. 237 cu. in. 251 cu.

Stroke                    4 3/8”       4 5/8”        4 1/4”      4 1/2”

Rod Length           7 15/16”   7 13/16”          8”         7 7/8”

WD's just do it better.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 10:11am
so how much material is left between cylinders if u bored it out too 4.5"..if thats im thinking i would have 350 if it stroked to 5.5
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by farmer_rob farmer_rob wrote:

so how much material is left between cylinders if u bored it out too 4.5"..if thats im thinking i would have 350 if it stroked to 5.5
  theys a little bit so youre planning on welding a crank up also
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 4:27pm
thats interesting hudson i would like to see how beefy the mopar rods are .  headrick used some type of massey rod  may have been a different engine than the 135 before they went to aluminum to absorb some sock to try to keep  the 292 crank from breaking.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 9:53pm
Fairly beefy rods for the journal size.

Actually, they were manufactured by Atlas - same company that made the Allis rod. Both engines were initially designed about the same time, very similair looking through the "I" profile of the rod.

Best part about the mopar rod is that they are common.  You can buy a remanufactured rod over the counter at the NAPA store and not even need a core.

WD's just do it better.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Hudsonator Hudsonator wrote:

Fairly beefy rods for the journal size.

Actually, they were manufactured by Atlas - same company that made the Allis rod. Both engines were initially designed about the same time, very similair looking through the "I" profile of the rod.

Best part about the mopar rod is that they are common.  You can buy a remanufactured rod over the counter at the NAPA store and not even need a core.
  that 7 15/16 rod with a two inch journal would give 3/8 stroke and allow higher compression due to the increase in rod lenth as well as 3/8 additional stroke. wonder what the pin size is mopar liked 1 inch pins . I actually had the wrong thinking on pins and thought a 1 inch pin would add more weight over a 990 pin but after it was explained to me that the distance the pin had to go to cover the diameter of the piston had to do with wall thickness of the pin. meaning a 1 inch pin could have a lower wall thicknes and have the same stentgh of a .990 pin with a heavier wall thickness.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 9:32am
My redneck automotive engineering tells me that to figure my true compression ratio I have to take into place the measurement of my first compression ring placement. So if I was wanting to yeild every smigen of hp i could from compression i would have to use a flat top piston because the first compression ring would have to be in the highest position of any other design. I dont think anything is gained from the gas that ends up between the piston and cylinder wall even though a multi spark ignition could take some of this out in under 3000 rpms I still think some of that gas trapped between the piston and cylinder wall will only be burnt when its pumped out into the hot exhaust system.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 10:07am

The pins are 55/64" or 0.8594".  Like you mention regarding pin dia. vs. pin length, the original application for that pin was in a 3.25" diameter piston.  The rod's pin hole is bushed and is meaty enough to enlarge and rebush safely up to .998-1.00".

You can get tapered pins to save on weight, tapered inner diameters of the pin itself.  They are usually thinner the closer you get to the cylinder wall.  Thickest where they go through the rod.  That's a tough call on an Allis due to the rod offset from the cylinder centerline, which is a fairly unique characteristic to Allis 226-type engines.  It would be safer/cheaper just to use a straight pin of sufficient thickness and not have to worry about where the rod was on the pin vs. the taper.

WD's just do it better.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 10:14am
That's a tough call on an Allis due to the rod offset from the cylinder centerline, which is a fairly unique characteristic to Allis 226-type engines.... i didnt know about this could u explain alittle more please.
thanks
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 11:32am

I am getting thouroughly confused Rob I thought you were going to use the H rod.

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 12:33pm
The piston pin off center or the crank shaft not in line with the centers of the cylinders are two ways to cut down on piston slap. The geometry of either pushes the piston from side to side on the cylinder before combustion when the pressure is smaller. That keeps the noise of that shift quieter. Crankshaft offset can also improve engine performance by reducing the side thrust at the piston during the power stroke, e.g. the piston, rod, and crank journal are closer to parallel with the cylinder bore.

Gerald J.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 2:55pm
yes mlpankey my first question was about the H rod because from past post everyone mainly used H rods to get the extra stroke. between the H rod and the normal 226 rod doesnt seem to be much difference in lenght . i was told that the main difference between the 2 rods are that the H rod the main cap bolts r off set  or not level unlike the 226 rods.. this off set would lend itself better for having less clarence issues..am i right?.
sorry for the questions and confusion but i havent built an engine YET but will once time and money permits.. hoping for winter of 2011

thanks rob
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 3:10pm
yes the caps are offset  the rod is a half inch longer. the rod it self does not add any stroke . the stroke comes from either offset grinding the crank to a smaller rod journal or welding the crank and then offset grinding to a smaller journal. If youre only going to stroke it to 5.5 which requires welding material to the crank then offset grinding the crank. a straight cap rod will clear the camshaft .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by farmer_rob farmer_rob wrote:

That's a tough call on an Allis due to the rod offset from the cylinder centerline, which is a fairly unique characteristic to Allis 226-type engines.... i didnt know about this could u explain alittle more please.
thanks

One of the things about the Allis engine, that lends itself to larger bores for its overall size, is that the bores are equally spaced in the block.  Most engines of the era were not, but were grouped in pairs based on the crank's main bearing placement.  Two cylinders close together, a space that corresponded with the main bearing, then two more cylinders - etc. Such as a stock H or M farmall, a quick look underneath thoese engines reveal the rods in the dead center of the wrist pin bosses, every thing is on center in relation to its respective "pair".

If you look at the 226 from the underside with the crank, rods, and pistons installed, you'll notice that the rods are to one side of the piston rather than splitting the center of the piston's wristpin bosses.  That is what I was referring to.  It would be hard to have a tapered wrist pin made that corresponded to the rod offset between the wrist pin bosses.

Its not that big of a deal until you order a custom set of pistons, then realize you can't get your rod to move over enough to align with your journal.

WD's just do it better.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 5:22pm
still nothing a little milling on the pin side of the rod cant take care of.

Edited by mlpankey - 17 Jan 2010 at 5:35pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 8:03pm
hudson most the massey 135 ci 144,152,192,201,208,232,242ci  used a rod bearing size 2.2485 176continental 2.0615  193 ,212,236 used a 2.4490
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 12:23pm
[QUOTE=mlpankey] yes the caps are offset  the rod is a half inch longer. the rod it self does not add any stroke . the stroke comes from either offset grinding the crank to a smaller rod journal or welding the crank and then offset grinding to a smaller journal. If youre only going to stroke it to 5.5 which requires welding material to the crank then offset grinding the crank. a straight cap rod will clear the camshaftQUOTE] Sorry, but i am confused about this paragraph. Could you clear this up, please. This has been very informative.   At what stroke would welding be necessary rather than offset grinding alone?   THANKS!!!!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 12:36pm
well you only achieve 90 percent for stroke of what you remove . So if I offset grind a true 2.375 crank journal to utilize a  farmall c 1.750 rod journal that would be .625 at 100 percent but we only get 90 percent so that would be a 5.0625 and have a standard rod journal now if we went fourty under it would be close to 5.100 stroke. That is as little of rod journal I know of that you can use . So any more stroke would require welding material to the rod journal itself.
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 1:34pm
O.K. that makes sense. Thanks a lot for your help.   Jay
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic