This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fall seeding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fall seeding
    Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 12:10am
I know it's probably been discussed before, anybody seed alfalfa over the top in the fall to improve tonnage? I let the first cutting go to seed earlier this year. The weed pressure is intense in this patch. I don't have a disk, plow, or harrow anymore. I kept all the hay stuff, even the old JD endgame seeder.
Sponsored Links

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 5:50am
If you have any Alfalfa left in your seeding and you overseed with Alfalfa the old stand will kill the new.Better to seed Clover. And you probably need to mow the field . I would surmise that the weeds have gone to seed by now so you will be reseeding them. Without looking at the field my opinion is spray and plow this spring if you want to establish a good seeding.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 7:18am
What Mark said.  I've read that you have up to one year to put additional alfalfa seed onto a stand, but even at that it's a risk that it won't do any good.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 2:20pm
and alfalfa seed is very expensive. If you want to plant it, do it right. Otherwise you can frost seed clover in the spring. Never seems to work for me if i seed in fall
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 2:37pm
Before you seed clover. . . . check with your market.  Many folks do not want clover.  I don't do much if any clover any  more.  My market doesn't want it, AND if clover is cut it goes to garbage with very little rain.  JMO.  
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 8:11pm
Clover is excellent hay if and that is a big if made right. Fortunately for me I have horse hay customers with no brood mares as Clover affects vitamin k in hoses and Cattle. Vitamin k helps blood clot so a foaling mare could hemorrhage while delivering. I always frost seed in March and that has worked well for me. My hay fields consist of Alfalfa, Bearcat Red Clover.Bearcat is a name brand of Red Clover that is supposed to last up to 3 years. The rest of my Hay fields are Meadow GrasS, Brome Grass and Timothy. I have weeded out the non paying customers and the rest like my Hay. With the price of inputs and the age of my equipment and operator I don't know how much longer I can do hay!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 7:06am
That's good Mark, you know your market, and that's all I'm saying.  I have horse hay customers who I couldn't GIVE clover too, brood mares or not, they don't want it!  I've had cow customers who don't want it.  Yet I've raised plenty of good cows with some clover in the hay.  I don't grow it anymore, because I can't rely on enough customers who want it, that's just me and my market, and Tom should check the same.
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 5:14pm
I have sowed clover in winter wheat in the winter.  Cut the wheat and bale red clover and wheat straw in august.   My cows love it, clean wheat straw and weeds up no left over.

We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 6:54am
Of course they love it!  Just like kids love candy. . . . .
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 7:03pm
I have heard of coagulation issues with sweet clover( that is actually where coumadin originally synthesized. ) but I didn't realize red clover could do that. Freedom from Brandenburg is a long lived variety I have had good luck with. Totally agree about rained on clover may be worse than combining oats when it comes to dust.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic