This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FA 10 Final Splines and Seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FA 10 Final Splines and Seals
    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 5:40pm

We've been part way in here when we were rebuilding the track gear.

When the sprocket carrier is pressed on the inner spline end is supposed to be Dimension "h" - 2 - 4 mm inside the outer spline.

This one must have been run with the sprocket loose, as the inner protrudes maybe 1 - 2 mm (IIRC from about 10 years ago).  The nut has been built up and lathed out to provide clearance when it is tightened.  We didn't have a press to check but it passed the "rings like a bell" hammer test and doesn't move now.

The sprocket seals are duocones. 

So that (seems to me) means that the inner seal is compressed maybe 4 mm more than design and the outer less - unless there has been some "farmerizing" that I'm not aware of.

It survived like that for quite a while.  We've done around 3000 hours since the tracks rebuild.  AFIK the two previous local owners weren't in there (by the state of the track gear when we got it) so maybe the third owner back.  Someone back in its pedigree had a lathe, as there was 20 mm machined off one bearing surface on the blade cylinder pivot shafts to fit bushes that came from "somewhere".

So are new seals likely to last?  I don't want to have to do this twice.

Or should I look at finding a second hand set for the sprocket carrier assembly?   There don't seem to be a lot of FA 10's in wrecking yards down here.

I don't know if the finals case has been opened before we got it.  It is an early serial where they used gaskets there, later ones have no gaskets and use Cat Red gasket sealer.  These earlier ones got a spacer instead of the gasket between axle case and the inner finals case.  One clue might be that  the part numbers for the gaskets are crossed out in ball point in the parts book.

Edited by Ian Beale - 05 Aug 2020 at 5:49pm
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 6:41pm
I would have thought that 4 mm ( .170 inch) was too much compression for the inner seal, but  apparently the rubber will give that much .... unless they have done some trimming... I guess my concern would be the outer seal having enough compression to seal. If they didnt put a space or washer under the seal, then them must have ASSUMED the rubber did have some compression to seal.  I would not have guessed that, but if you have 3000 hours on the seal and it was working, that tells you something ..... getting that sprocket pushed on TIGHT is the real deal.. Maybe you can use a couple all thread rods with a backer plate and use a small hydraulic jack ?    I have also seen guys heat up the spline center to expand the metal, then push it on.. Its hard to use the nut to do all the pressing, but if thats all you have, make sure it is slugged down GOOD.. Antisize on the threads may allow you to get more "torque".
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 6:51pm
The problem we use to have with the bigger tractors was not seal compression, but keeping the sprocket tight.. After it starts to work on the shaft, it gets some wear and the pattern is not quite right.. You push it on further, but the spline "FIT" seems to be the problem.  One thing we were doing was spreading BELZONA ( liquid metal) on the splines prior to pressing them on... That was suppose to fill in any imperfections and make a better seal.. It did seem to help long term.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 7:19pm
Steve

Thanks.  The press on is 40 - 50 tons.  We can handle that as one son is a Cat trained big machinery fixer with his own business, service truck and plane - "Have spanners, will fly".

I've got a spare nut from which to make the adapter.

I've also got that question in with one of our long-term Fiat suppliers who have worked on them for a long time.  No answer back as yet.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 3:14am
Better news.  It is most likely the sprocket side that is worn.  And they're available new.

Also assured that the FA 10 parts supply situation is good.

More when we know more.

Edited by Ian Beale - 07 Aug 2020 at 4:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic