This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

engine horsepower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine horsepower
    Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 2:00am
I am building an engine with a '45 crank and 4.125" WD pistons with around a 10:1 compression ratio and a D17 governor spring. I think it would be 240 cubic inches. What would be a good estimate for horsepower?
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
Sponsored Links

cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 5:47am
I had one built that way last year,  65 to 70 HP. Not sure if compression ratio was 10:1, don't think so.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 8:15am
yeah i would say cotncrazy's estimate is pretty close, depends on a lot of things, not just bore and stroke, what kind of pulling are you building it for, stock class? high speed? 
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 8:42am
If its 240 with ALL STOCK components, id hope for 65 and be ready to accept 57- 60.  Ive seen dynos with alot of slip. Mine is very conservative. Its hard to compare.
XT in pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XT in pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 8:51am
My farm 17 dynoed 64 with only 6 hours on it. 41/8 17 kit and big head.
190XT,D17and 7045
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 12:32pm
yea you are about right. I have build two of these. Both with different style porting done to the heads and I have seen 65 on the conservative ported one. And that is on a dyno at the JD dealership I work at so it is pretty accurate
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 12:47pm
But, also a thing to consider, 540 power will be less in a wc-wd-wd45 than a d17 because of the rated rpm difference. If memory serves 540 in a WC is 1300 RPMS while 1650? is D17 rpms. It had certainly make more power with 350 more RPMs. Its all relative to your desired rpm range and chassis.

Another thing to consider is this, Id defiinitely install at least a d17 cam in that engine while you have it apart. Its a better grind.  Not as old ( less wear, possibly)and designed around a motor that is certainly closer to what yours will be than a '45 or wc EVER was.
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 5:13pm
It will be pulling in the paced classes and some open classes. With the D17 gov spring it should turn 2000 RPMs. I think a D17 cam would be a good idea also.

If XT's D17 with 4.125x4.5 with D17 crater pistons put out 64 hp at 7.25:1 Compression Ratio, then this engine with 4.125x4.5 with WD flat top pistons at about 10:1 CR should be around 70hp, am I correct?
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 5:59pm
A stock D-17 (not a series 4) was rated at 52.70 HP @1650 RPM by Nebraska test. If you installed a real set of M&W pistons and sleeves (4 1/8" bore with 7.5 to 1 compression) they claimed 57.1 HP @1650 RPM. There's no way a set of 4 1/8" pistons with farm gas compression makes 64 HP.. I'm sorry, it ain't real regardless of what the dyno says. This of course assumes a stock carb and camshaft are being used. The 1/8' overbore only gained 4 HP by M&W's specs, not 11 HP.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 8:27am
I put together a 4 1/8 x 4.5 engine with a little higher compression, late model camshaft degreed to a different spec, very good head, manifold and carb work. I went to my friends implement dealership and put it on the dyno and it made 52 hp after I tuned it in. Pretty nice newer A&W dyno, probably works great for 180 HP tractor.

All that work for 52 hp, that is what the dyno said.

We have a 2510 John Deere diesel that has about 50 hp (guessing) used for odd jobs. The driveway at the farm is a pretty steep hill. If I'm lucky that little John Deere will go maybe 14 MPH up that driveway with a light load behind it, working for all it's worth.

The 52 HP Allis will pull way more weight up the driveway faster, and not work hard to do it. I can take the 52 HP Allis to the local pulls and in the 4500 lb "farm stock" classes usually paced at 4mph. It will hold it's own and usually end up in the top 25% of the class and sometimes take a 2nd by just a few feet. Some of the locals at the pulls have 70-80hp they think, some might have 100hp. There was a tired and ugly D-17 diesel around that wouldn't register 50hp on a loose dyno, it had good tires, slow enough gears, would never kill, it would outpull a lot of tractors with 50% more power.

I'm not going to put a lot of stock in dyno numbers from some old dyno that someone's friend has, or a new one that the local dealer has. I don't care if it says 45 hp or 90 hp.

What can you expect for an honest HP number? You're carb will only support so much, your manifold is poor and the cylinder head sucks. I don't care how fresh the engine is, it's lower compression and getting less air to make the power with. You're going to make an honest 50hp. You may hook it to an old M&W dyno and get 65, you may hook it to a new A&W dyno and get 48. It's best if you don't know the number, that way you can't be disappointed.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 8:38am
here's what i would do (and will do this winter when things slow down) my grandpa's friend has a dyno, so it is readily available to use. we are going to dyno the tractor before we tear it down, than after we rebuild it do all that fun stuff (for once i actually want it to snowTongue) we are going to dyno it again, on the same dyno, that way even if the dyno isnt accurate it will at least show how much power we gained. if you dont have acces to a dyno use another method of testing it, like was previously done, you could haul a load of corn up a hill before and after, you could pull a disk or a plow or something like that before and after, i dont know what class you pull in, but i pull in farm stock, which is a class where hp is just a number, i prefer lug and torque, love to listen to that allis pull way down and then hit that sweet spot, where it doesnt lug down any more for a ways, until i finally choke it out to where the only reason the engine refired when i hit the clutch was because the pistons were still moving, but thats just me, and what i would do to measure your improvements 
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 9:11am
That's a good idea. Just make sure you have the same air temp on each run. Humidity also plays a part in overall HP numbers, but 30 degree air versus 70 degree air makes more difference.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 9:45am
Horsepower is a simple number right? (torque X speed)/ 5250= hp

What makes horsepower? A chemical reaction, it's the burning of fuel.

How do you burn more fuel? You carry it in the cylinder with more air.

As your engine slows down, the cylinders get more time to take a breath of air. They are already restricted so giving them more time to take that breath will help them to fill better. The more air they can take the more fuel the engine can burn. But the speed has dropped now hasn't it, for the horsepower to stay the same the torque output has to rise. Torque is made from airflow. Unlike many believe that stroke makes torque, it's really the increase in airflow. The stroke length is part of the equation, but weather you have a 4.5" stroke or a 5.5" stroke, you only use part of that for the actual "lever". Meaning that a 4.5" stroke crankshaft only has a lever of 2.25", or half stroke length. The real kicker here is that the effective stroke length of say that 4.5" stroke crank isn't 2.25", it's much less than that. Why?

The power stroke is only for a few degrees of crankshaft rotation, this all happens when the piston is pushing off of TDC for a few degrees of rotation, so your "stroke" has became almost useless, as it's only pointed straight up. Effective stroke length is the same on a 4" stroke crank as it is on a 6" stroke crank WHEN the piston is at TDC, as the piston is pushed down and the crank rotates, the stroke length becomes a tangent of the angle that the crankshaft is at during it's rotation. Now a 6" stroke crank has a more useful or a longer lever than a 4.5" stroke crank for this time. But this is only true ATDC (after tdc). Now when you light your fuel charge BTDC, (before tdc) lets just say 20 to 25 degrees of crankshaft rotation this force is negative. It's only useful ATDC when the piston is pushing down on the crank that the increased stroke length is useful.

None of this matters if the cylinder doesn't have much fuel to burn, or much air to burn it with. The speed is going to drop until the point where it can take in enough air to make the torque to maintain the speed and load that it has to or it will kill. How can you increase your torque output? Increase your airflow.

You want to put in a D-17 camshaft. Others always say on here they want a "170 cam". But very few know what it is, or how to phase it to the crankshaft to take advantage of it. You're trying to fill your cylinder with a cam moving the valves at the wrong time, and for not long enough no matter what cam you have laying in the shed or at the salvage yard. Some of them are better than others, but they are all like trying to fill a 5 gal bucket with a spoon. You need a bigger spoon, or more time to fill the bucket.

Your camshaft it timed to the crankshaft, it's currently a little late in getting the valves to move. It would help if the camshaft was moving the valves a little earlier in relationship to the piston movement. You can simply jump it 1 tooth, or advance the camshaft 1 tooth when lining up the timing marks. This isn't the best solution but it's better than nothing. Your stock timing marks are timing the cam a little late, jumping it would time it a little early, but it's better than being late. Ideally you need to be abut half way in between, but this is going to take a degree wheel, indicators and some knowledge to accomplish. If you can't do this, then advance the cam 1 tooth, it's simply better than where it's at but not quite optimum.

The camshaft is still to short of duration, meaning that it's not holding the valves open long enough to fill the cylinder. We can't hold the valves open to long though, as the engine slows down in speed we will loose the air we are trying to trap to burn the fuel if the valves are open to long. It takes time to get the air charge moving into the cylinder, if the cam opens one valve to early and closes the other one to late we loose what we are trying to gain. If the cam does this at the wrong time, there's no cylinder for the air to try and fill, or we open the exhaust valve to early and bleed off pressure pushing on the piston.

My point here is that you need a camshaft with about 20 degrees more duration or time to breathe than whatever is on the shelf at the salvage yard or laying in the shed . Much more than that and you will go backwards. Your stock cams timed in correctly will help, but not quite as much as having one ground correctly and installed correctly. It'll be more useful than any other thing you can do on your engine.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 11:27am
I would like to point out that the effective stroke is measured at the atdc intake closing point of cam card. A 4.5 stroke vs a 6 inch stroke crank will have different effective stroke due to the simple fact of having a different rod stroke ratio.piston position times half the stroke then added rod length is used to figure effective stroke
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

That's a good idea. Just make sure you have the same air temp on each run. Humidity also plays a part in overall HP numbers, but 30 degree air versus 70 degree air makes more difference.
yeah i was thinking that after i had posted, that you can get more hp on colder days, didnt know about the humidity making a difference though
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 3:29pm
Funny how suddenly the VI has become an effective stroke expert on the same day Marty brings it up,,, same as he became a Gleason expert on the same day I brought them to his attention on here.  

Whats that Marty's sig line says? something about making a fool of yourself on the internet?? The change of name doesn't hide the MO Plinky, your  still just a troll. 
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 4:23pm
Its no suprise that Pank is the STROKE expert, Butch...judging by his posts on here it seems all he does is....well.....you get the pic
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 11:14am
6 inch stroke on 4 inch bore 301 cubes crank can be done by some for 1000 .best bang for bucks. No replacement for displacement. Its all about volume.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 11:24am
What happened to compression is king and Nitro is the fuel for power Mr Kinkrod??LOL

Edited by Butch(OH) - 06 Nov 2013 at 11:26am
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 11:38am
Since you asked and the original poster did to. M@w sp48 pistons give a compression ratio of 7.3 tested at the belt on a wd 45 m@w claimed the sp 48 at 240 ci horspower was 49.7 so going from 7.3 to 10.1 and no other changes other than carb tuning should see 54 horse at the belt.
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by THE-MAN THE-MAN wrote:

Its no suprise that Pank is the STROKE expert, Butch...judging by his posts on here it seems all he does is....well.....you get the pic

Spunks theme song: Clarence Carter, Strokin! 

When Wi posts pic's and video, spunk's be Strokin! 

Where's the Gleason?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

A stock D-17 (not a series 4) was rated at 52.70 HP @1650 RPM by Nebraska test. If you installed a real set of M&W pistons and sleeves (4 1/8" bore with 7.5 to 1 compression) they claimed 57.1 HP @1650 RPM. There's no way a set of 4 1/8" pistons with farm gas compression makes 64 HP.. I'm sorry, it ain't real regardless of what the dyno says. This of course assumes a stock carb and camshaft are being used. The 1/8' overbore only gained 4 HP by M&W's specs, not 11 HP.

So a stock D17 with 7.25:1 CR makes 52.7hp @1650 RPM and if the compression goes up to 7.5:1 it makes 57.1HP @ 1650 RPMS. So lets say that the additional 14ci's add 4 hp, then the increase in compression by .25:1 would yield .4 more hp. So if the CR increased from 7.5:1 to 10:1 that would be 6x.4. Which would add 2.4 more hp to the 57.1 being 59.5hp with 10:1 CR @ 1650 RPMs. Is that logical?
** I am not using M&W pistons, just flat top overbore for a WD.
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 6:44pm

Theroretically, maybe. You will need to "time" the ignition later than 30 degrees BTDC with that compression ratio. I'd guess 20 degrees BTDC, but dyno tuning for the most HP is the best and fuel of over 100 octane will be needed.  Better make extra marks on your flywheel or have a timing light with degree calculator built into it.  And when you get it running, run a compression pressure test and see if it is really 10 to 1.  I'd expect more than 200 psi, probably 220 psi.

THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 9:51pm
.....And along with what I said from the get go...hope for 65, expect 57-60.

You will have to play with the higher octane fuel as the doctor said. A good starting point for 10:1 would be half 110, half 93. Tune it with someone who knows what detonation sounds like.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 9:54pm
So with a D17 cam and rpms up 21.2% from 1650 to 2000 theoretically you would gain 21.2% more HP?
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 6:36am
Late WD45 and D17 cams are the same p/n and same grind. It's a myth that the grinds are different. 175 cam is a different grind and 175 only. These are FLYWHEEL HP readings from A-C Power Unit book....61.7 HP @ 1600 rpm.....63.2 HP @ 1650.....64.5 HP @ 1700.....67.0 HP @ 1800 rpms.......from a stock D-17 engine.......no readings given above 1800 rpm.
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 6:36am
I guess ..in a d17.

But I dont think that is a solid enuf theory to build on, or apply generally.

Its like saying that my F250 makes 400 hp @2500. It will make 800 at 5000 rpm in the same form. Aint gonna happen no wa,y no how. Only in a Fantasyland.

These close to stock motors will make a little more hp if you turn them on, but who cares what it makes at 2000,  or even 2500 if it cant hold it there! Find where your power band is, figure what gear you run and what speed you need to be at and work on bettering it where you need it. I broke down and bought one of those Zack Peterson TRACTOR SPEED GUIDE spiral bound books. I can figure speeds mathematically, but its nice and easy to open the book up and get a close idea. It also helps you calculate based on loaded tire hight n stuff.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 9:20am
Well thanks for all the information guys, it will definitely help Smile
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 9:24am
One way to look at it in perspective is to take 49.7 hp/240 cubic inches for. 207 hp per cubic inch. So a 6 inch stroke 4 inch bore 301 at 7.3 compression would have 62 belt hp. 400 inches at 7.3 comp 82.8. Now most 392 or 400 ci puller motors from a 226 go 100 hp. They have 10 to 12.1 compression to do so.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic