This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Garage heaters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Garage heaters
    Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 12:21am
I'm thinking about putting 1 in the office, electric, mounting it to the ceiling. 7500 watt. With wall thermostat. Ive got plenty of volts and amps to run one. Any pros or cons on brands? Will have electrician wire it. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 3:46am
put it down near the floor, heat rises, get full advantage of your heater. maybe try the gas vent less that hangs on the wall?
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 4:32am
They make baseboard heaters that mount to the wall and you just plug them in.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 7:10am
con up here that'd cost me almost 2 Canuck an hour to run....30 AMPS min, 40A service !
think electrical dryer on..hmm, just wire a used,free dryer in !!
pro clean install, cept for the lint from my 'economical' version

if you have heat in winter, why not a/c in summer ?
use one of those 'through the wall' combo units 'as seen of TV' ?

need to think of space, shape, obstacles, etc. more details you supply, the more we can help.
I've got natgas in garage(24x30), cost me $2K for the new unit, installed.
best to think of long term options, weigh them out.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 9:47am
I have a 5k watt in the garage I got from Menards with a thermostat on it for $100.
Noisy as hell. Does the job. Just use my compressor plug 220.
May not be what you need just throwing it out there.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 10:45am
up here electric is kinda expensive. buddy has electric floor heat in his garage it works well. another buddy had hanging heater unit in his garage it worked but much slower recovery time than my 80K btu propane. last month I ran out of propane and put a little 1500 W ceramic heater in my shop overnight. put it by my orange tree it raised the shop temp from 45 to 55 overnight. as far a placing on floor Ill keep mine  mounted high it frees up floor space. I have a 55" stainless ceiling fan mounted in the center of the shop it moves the air around and helps keep all parts of the shop fairly equally warm.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 05 Feb 2022 at 11:04am
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 1:28pm
I am a strong believer in radiant type heaters if the space is used intermittently as they heat the objects below rather than the air.
Jack of all trades, master of none
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 2:26pm
My heated shop space has a Heat Pump PTAC thru wall unit, much as a Hotel Room unit.  Does NOT add that much to the cost to heat and cool the house where it keeps humidity down Winter/Summer for my machine tools.  Summer keep it set about 78, Winter at around 65.  Have a backup baseboard unit in the Shop Bathroom for plumbing but AFAIK has only come on when I cycle it just as winter starts.

The usage also is when I am running block heaters on the 180 and my pickup.

Edited by DMiller - 05 Feb 2022 at 2:40pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 2:53pm
Son has a hunting cabin and they used what Fixer is talking about... Small electric unit that hangs from the ceiling... 5000 watts is 3 TIMES as big as the 1500 watt Milk House heaters that run on 120v.... Put in a 240 v plug, same as air compressor or cloths dryer... 5000 watts at 240v is just over 20 amps.. Has its own thermostat and blower motor in a box maybe 15" x 15" x 15 ", or smaller........... all for about $100. .... cheap .... only used part time, not 24/7.

Edited by steve(ill) - 05 Feb 2022 at 2:58pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 6:26pm
I heat my office (well insulated) with a small ceramic heater, maybe about 800 W.  I bought 4 of them at auction for about $2.50 each. Thermostat controlled, work well, little cube about 8".  THink they are Sunbeams.  Anyway, just have to worry about paying the bill...Hug
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 2:10am
i use one of them electric heaters like Dave describes...in my well house. used a digital unit once, we lost power for about 10 mins, and when power came back on...the heater didn't. found that out when we lost water...pipes froze. now we use the ceramic one, it'll come back on by itself when the power does. i've thought about one of those heat/cool units that hang on the wall, i might still do it later in my cook shack, right now the grill heats the shack up pretty well if i can keep the old lady....ooooops....i mean the loving wife from opening the door all the time! me thinks she was born in a Canadian barn! and if i need a little extra help on heat in there, i have a Mr Heater mounted on top of a 20 lbs propane tank that heats the room pretty fast!  
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 5:54am
Steve that looks like what I have only black.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 10:00am
Tom... is your office in the house, a garage, basement, in the corner of a pole barn shop?

Hanging a resistive electric heater from ceiling is a cheap and dirty... almost as cheap and dirty as pluggin in an electric cube at the wall.  They don't heat the floor well... a radiant electric will heat the floor better... but they'll both heat your wallet really well, as electric heating is the most expensive method there is.  One kw = 3400ish BTU.  To get 3400bth/hr, you have to run 1kw/hr of power.  I don't recall what our most recent Alliant bill was, but I'm gonna stab at $0.20/kwh...  a little electric brick heater running constantly will quietly grind through $5/day, which doesn't seem like much until the additional $144 shows up on the bill in your mailbox monthly.  A 7500w unit, in the same service, would run $1,080...  and it'd be putting out 25,500btu/hr. 

I don't know the size of your shop, but 25,500btu is much higher than it should require for comfort in an office.  If my wild-guess of your office space is even close, what will probably happen, is the heater will kick on, make the area in front of it ghastly hot for a very short time, then shut off, and chill you.

The problem with most any heating system, in our vicinity, is a cold floor.  A room can be 60F, and totally comfortable, but even if the room is 75F, and the floor is cold... you'll be uncomfortable. 

IF you choose the electric option, and have a concrete floor, one thing you CAN do that will help tremendously, is to lay down a 1" layer of pink foam, and then put down tongue-and-groove plywood, with carpet on top.  That'll raise your floor by 2", but isolate and insulate your feet, furniture, etc., from that slab, and make the room substantially more comfortable.  After that, bringing up the air temp with the electric can be done with a whole lot LESS power, gently, and consequently, less money.

The OTHER really great way to do it, is put down a layer of 1" foam, and a layer of inset tiles for PEX tubing, then put your T&G floor with carpet on top of that.  Connect the PEX to a tiny water heater and run a Taco 3gpm pump to circulate pink RV anti-freeze through the pex.  Floor always warm, heater will run for about 4 minutes total on a day, the electric pump will run for less than 2 hours, and it'll be cozy.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 8:15pm
i would put it low theres no piolet light to cause an explosion . but the power will sure rise
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 9:29pm
Dave, I will be putting this in our honey processing plant office. 15' wide, 26' long and 10' ceilings. Its got 2" of closed cell spray foam on the outside walls, 6" of batt insulation in the ceiling between the floors and inner walls are also insulated. It never freezes inside, but it does get darn cold in there. I have a couple of those milk house heaters, a couple of inf red in the square boxes, and one of those things that look like old time steam registers. They take so long to heat the office up I thought I'd buy a bigger unit with a thermostat. Thanks everybody.
Chananain View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chananain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 3:45am
Electricity is quite expensive in this area. In his garage, buddy has electric floor heat that works well. Another friend had a hanging heater unit in his garage that worked but recovered much slower than my 80K btu propane heater. When I ran out of propane last month, I installed a small 1500 W ceramic heater in my shop overnight with help of https://fixgaragedoors.ca/. When I placed it near my orange tree, it raised the shop temperature from 45 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit overnight. In terms of placement on the floor, I'll keep mine mounted high to save floor space. In the center of the shop, I have a 55" stainless ceiling fan that moves the air around and helps keep all parts of the shop fairly evenly warm.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by Chananain - 11 Nov 2022 at 7:09am
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 8:40am
The title kinda throws me.  Why would you need to heat a garage if it is only for parking vehicles?  Just pit a remote start on the vehicle if you have to set your boody on a warm seat.  Confused
We did not even have heat in the garage in AK.  Did have a block heater for the sub zero stuff.  Wink

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 10:55am
a garage is for parking vehicles ???
really ??
 my 2 car garage hasn't parked a car in there for 5-8 YEARS.
It's a nice warm spot for the Kubota 24/7 as well as welding shop,woodworking shop, farm repair shop, small engine shop, steel storage unit, and a general purpose 'bodgers retreat'.

NO TV !!!, have laptop with music though !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 11:05am
I installed a PTAC heat/AC unit...12,000 BTU's in my small 12 X 24 shed (hate the cold weather and the hot) and, of course, it's a tad overkill, BUT...when I want cold air or hot heat, I have it! LOL! I keep it about 65 degrees in the winter time and about 72 degrees in the summer time...seems to do good at that point and the bill stays down fairly low...Rick
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 6:52pm
jay, I think you have a shop, not a garage.  Confused
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:45pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic