This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric car disposal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric car disposal
    Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 12:55pm
So how do you get rid of these things
Guy came in shop. He's a small time jack of all trades kinda guy. Any way he acquired an electric car he was going to scrap, took the batteries out and took to scrap yard, they wouldn't take them, he took to few places and nobody will take them. So how are these cars good for the environment. Anybody else try getting rid of them.
Maybe I should put this in political area

Edited by Mikez - 24 Jan 2020 at 1:23pm
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 1:37pm
Find a deserted road and park them! ---have ride pick you up and forget you ever was on that road!--Another way,--Deep six them in a hidden place!
The very best way is to not get stuck with them in the first place!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 1:39pm
Put them on eBay, Craigslist or Face Book Market Place.

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 1:50pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 4:00pm
Up here, take batteries back to dealership tht sells the car. They are responsible for them, heck we pay a TAX on those batteries as well as copiers,PC,paint,etc.

Frankly, just leave at roadside, put $50 sign on them , wait 2 hrs..they'll be gone !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:51pm
Wiggle a few wires around and make a toaster.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Up here, take batteries back to dealership tht sells the car. They are responsible for them, heck we pay a TAX on those batteries as well as copiers,PC,paint,etc.

Frankly, just leave at roadside, put $50 sign on them , wait 2 hrs..they'll be gone !

Holy crap I'm not sure what goes on up north but that sounds like another government tombstone.  Isn't there copper or such in these things thats worth something?
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:24pm
I'v been asking that question since they came out.  What is the real environmental cost of an electric car as opposed to the same car in a gas driven version. 
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Holy crap I'm not sure what goes on up north but that sounds like another government tombstone.  Isn't there copper or such in these things thats worth something?

No, I don't think there is appreciable copper. but what is in them depends on the technology used, lead acid would be mostly lead, and whatever lead becomes in acid. I don't know of any battery with copper but I could be wrong
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 4:07am
Not lead but Lithium.  And it takes tons of the ore, to make one battery, for an electric car!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 5:36am
I understand the battery problem but I've never looked at these cars I just figured there was electric motors to drive the wheels and wires feeding them that would be copper or aluminum but maybe those parts just don't have enough value to justify the expense of getting rid of the batteries.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 6:12am
clean (#1) copper is $3 a pound up here, CLEAN is the keyword, goes waaay down if not CLEAN. mixed tin is about 7 cents a pound. frankly it's not worth hauling junk cars to scrapyard.
Not a lot of $$ metals in an electric car unless you TOTALLY strip and sort. They're built light, lots of plastic, thin tin and lithium batteries are a PITB. Regular lead acid ones are tossed into shreder then magically sorted into plastic and metals, Lord knows where the ACID goes !!
Overall recycling is a joke up here,most gets repackaged and dumped into landfill. Guv PAYS retaillers to toss BNIB stuff into landfill, really, saw that on TV, read the tax forms online !
There's going to be 1,000s of them Ecar batteries to deal with though, only last 6-7 years up here, brrrrrrrr and salt !

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 6:16am
Our local Scrapper turned down FIVE wrecked Prius so far, cannot get rid of the Batteries so will not accept them unless the batteries are REMOVED. car itself whole(less battery) is worth around $50 as scrap per him.

Edited by DMiller - 25 Jan 2020 at 6:17am
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:22am
Put them for sale waaaaaay out by the road. The druggies will soon remove them free of charge.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 11:13am
Maybe park by the road with a "FREE" sign on the car???
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 11:44am
I'm always impressed with how fast stuff I put out roadside 'magically' goes away ! I used to put 'free' signs with the stuff, not anumore as the locals know, whatever's there they can have.
Bush cords of wood, live edge wood, skids, racking, riders,tires/rims,furniture(solid and ?? wood ) it all goes...might take an hour ,a day or a week..it ALL goes ! Saves me the $20 / load and hour for me to haul to 'dump'.

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 12:33pm
If I put something to the curb, within a hour the city will be whining on the phone about it. It used to take a few days to get a letter. Not any more.

Edited by chaskaduo - 25 Jan 2020 at 12:35pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 12:47pm
I've had better luck with a for sale sign. It gets stolen faster that way
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

I've had better luck with a for sale sign. It gets stolen faster that way

I once put a pickup truck for sale out in front of my place. One day I'm sitting in house and see someone looking at it. They were sure there a long time and not coming up to house, so I go to walk down. They take off.
When I got there I discovered they had all but one screw out of the grill.

What is wrong with people??
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:12am
In broad day light !!!!??
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:36am
Yes sir. While people were home and vehicles in the yard. Some people have nerve.

Only thing that saved my grill was one screw was seized and he couldn't get it out, LOL

Funny part is I had on the sign...any offer takes it. He could have gave me 5 bucks and drove it away, LOL

I just tried to list my Jetta on Kijiji (our Canadian Craiglist) and I had to remove the add after 2 days, I couldn't take it any more.

All I had was east indians that could barely speak english calling me and wanting me to put it in a shipping container and stupid stuff like that.
It can rot in my yard.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 10:21am
I would imagine that in order to take these electric car batteries they will have to be OSHA and EPA certified to do so.  What is probably going to happen is some new poor unsuspecting scrapper will attempt to take them apart expecting a gold mine inside and end up starting a fire that the fire department won't be able to put out for quite some time.
Maximum use of available resources!
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 10:33am
Electric car batteries are designed for fast charge/fast discharge.
When they no longer can do that, they are at about 1/2 life.
They can then be used in a solar powder setup. Slow charge/slow discharge.
That's one of Tesla strong points.
They are building up a large supply of 1/2 life car batteries, that will plug right into all  the solar units they are selling.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 12:06pm
JayB,

Leaving Kingston a few years back while visiting my son, took a drive out in the country where I knew I could catch up to the 401 eventually.
Seen a nice milk can with lid at side of road, stopped as someone was in the garage and asked if it was there as for sale?
Lady said her husband died, former dairy farmer and she was sitting it out at the road in hopes it would be taken by someone.

I was that someone and it is far and away the nicest of the four I have, zero rust and actually resides in the house at the front door.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 4:42pm
Dang Kingston a loooooong hop,skip and 2 jumps from FW !!
Got an arm's reach relative in Kingston, NOT the fed jail, either !
Can't be a lot of real milk cans left, yeesh.....I memebe rthe electric milk trucks though !

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:15pm

(Reuters) - General Motors Co will invest $2.2 billion in its Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant to build electric trucks and sport utility vehicles, a move that would create 2,200 jobs, the No.1 U.S. automaker said on Monday.

The company said its first electric truck will be a pickup, whose production will begin late next year and will be followed by a self-driving vehicle, Cruise Origin.

GM last week reut.rs/30V6MfE unveiled a prototype of a driverless vehicle for ride-sharing service.

Reuters had reported last year that GM plans to build a new family of premium electric vehicles at the plant beginning late 2021, possibly reviving its Hummer brand. The company had said it would invest $7.7 billion in its U.S. plants over the next four years. 

The Detroit-Hamtramck plant currently operates one production shift and builds the Cadillac CT6 and the Chevrolet Impala sedans.

The plant will be idled for several months at the end of February as GM starts renovations for the production of electric trucks and SUVs.

Ford is also expected to begin building premium electric pickups in late 2021 at a Detroit-area assembly plant. Ford and GM expect annual electric truck production to hit around 40,000 units by 2024, analysts have said.

Reporting by Ankit Ajmera in Bengaluru; Editing by Vinay Dwivedi and Arun Koyyur

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Jan 2020 at 7:16pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

(Reuters) - General Motors Co will invest $2.2 billion in its Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant to build electric trucks and sport utility vehicles, a move that would create 2,200 jobs, the No.1 U.S. automaker said on Monday.

The company said its first electric truck will be a pickup, whose production will begin late next year and will be followed by a self-driving vehicle, Cruise Origin.

GM last week reut.rs/30V6MfE unveiled a prototype of a driverless vehicle for ride-sharing service.

Reuters had reported last year that GM plans to build a new family of premium electric vehicles at the plant beginning late 2021, possibly reviving its Hummer brand. The company had said it would invest $7.7 billion in its U.S. plants over the next four years. 

The Detroit-Hamtramck plant currently operates one production shift and builds the Cadillac CT6 and the Chevrolet Impala sedans.

The plant will be idled for several months at the end of February as GM starts renovations for the production of electric trucks and SUVs.

Ford is also expected to begin building premium electric pickups in late 2021 at a Detroit-area assembly plant. Ford and GM expect annual electric truck production to hit around 40,000 units by 2024, analysts have said.

Reporting by Ankit Ajmera in Bengaluru; Editing by Vinay Dwivedi and Arun Koyyur

Ford and GM expect annual electric truck production to hit around 40,000 units by 2024, analysts have said.

Sounds like a pretty big sales estimate to me. How many of you pickup owners would buy a electric pickup?

"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 9:16pm
hmmm.. create 2200 jobs ? after killing 1000s up here in Oshawa....
all GM did was MOVE jobs ,south of the 49th... and save BIG on taxes,salaries and pensions...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic