This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dutch white clover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dutch white clover
    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:45pm
For many years we had a 3 acre patch where we raised organic sweet corn. Did that for 2 or 3 years then I would seed it to alalfa/clover mix. Then back to sweet corn. Then she got started with honey bees. So We replaced the west line fence and seeded Dutch white clover and pollinator seed around the outside of the patch.   3 years ago I plowed this patch up, leaving about a 6' strip around the patch. Then seeded Pioneer alalafa. It did not grow well. But I have a great crop of Dutch white clover all over the patch. I'm thinking the Dutch white had crowded out the majority of the alalafa. Used to get 10-15 medium sized big bales off this patch. Got 3 this first cutting. I do have a lot of Dutch white in the yard, It might get a shot of 24d this fall. Has anybody heard of Dutch white being toxic to alalafa,? Thanks guys

Edited by HD6GTOM - 28 Jun 2020 at 8:48pm
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 9:12pm
Dutch white clover is toxic to almost everything given a chance itll push out even weeds. I had a large patch of weeds when i bought this place i mowed around the small white clover patches in one year it crouded out every thing else.some grasses survived but every thing else was gone.a couple years later I kept mowing it weekly before it could seed.2-4D wont kill it

Edited by Dakota Dave - 28 Jun 2020 at 9:19pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 9:33pm
24D will give clover a hard time, but will not kill it......... You need something that has 2-3% of DICAMBA (sp?) in it.... I buy these 40 oz bottles at Menards that has about 7% 24D and 2% DICAMBA in it... Kills everything but the grass.  Takes about 2 -3  oz per gallon.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 9:39pm
Its the MCPP and DICAMBA that kill clover

Edited by steve(ill) - 28 Jun 2020 at 9:45pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 11:13pm
Hi all you could try Versatill active Clopyralid it will nail the clover i have grown clover for seed for the last 23 years so know it works just be careful on what you plant after spraying Peas,Beans, Potatoes, Toms,Carrots and Cucumber you have to wait 6 mouths before planting 
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 5:44am
It is also toxic to ruminants if it gets moldy. The active ingredient in coumadin is extracted from sweet clover
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 9:22pm
is that white clover that little short stuff that grows all over on the farm yards? sheep love that stuff!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 10:09pm
Yep shameless it is. We had sheep for 10 years. Nobody around here to sheer them now. I try'd it one time when I was 15 or 16. Dang old ewe was skinned up pretty good. Ain't gonna do no more. Ain't gonna milk another cow either.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 12:33am
the dude that rents one of our houses raises sheep, and he does shearing too, has a semi trailer he puts the wool into, when it's full he ships it out somewhere. 
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 5:23am
Your Wife's honey bees will work the clover and in my area there is a good stand of White Dutch clover everywhere this year. Here in my area I am not having good luck with alfalfa as I did years ago, after 3 years and the stand is pretty thin.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 9:55am
WinkWell there are sheep called hair sheep that don't need any shearing.LOL But they look more like a goat than a sheep.Wink But nice young grain finished ones tasted real good.Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic