This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drive flange bolt loosening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhead1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drive flange bolt loosening
    Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 8:24pm
I have a HD6B.  The left drive flange that is connected to the steering clutch has had the large bolt loosen two times,  The last time i put a small amount of lock tite on it and it happened again.  Has anyone had this happen?  The washer has a pin in it and it has a bend washer to stop the self loosening.  Any one have a fix for this.  I have tightened the bolt with a 3/4" drive breaker bar with a pipe on it.  I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high (300 ft lbs).  Short of me getting really good at removing the steering clutch, it is really a problem.  The one thing that I didn't do is wack the flange after tightening it, such that I have done to the Drive Sprocket.  The flange is not over worn and it has about 1/16" protruding from the shaft. 
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 10:11am
is this the nut that holds the disk driven by steering clutch to the pinion shaft?    sounds like the splines are worn and its moving enough to back nut off?
not sure what would stop it short of welding or replacing hub/ shaft

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 11:51am
The bevel gear shaft or the hub stering cluch driving  splenne must be to worn.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 11:19am
think at this point i would use a wicking locktite on both the nut and the shaft -- another thing is be sure the washer is allowing itself to draw up tite to the flange to push flange home to bearing . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
rhead1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhead1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 7:53pm
Thank you all for the insight.  I will be taking it all apart again tomorrow.  I have some awesome locktite bearing retainer for the shaft and  locktite for the bolt.  
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:31am
Be sure to clean it well before locktite - they do have a primer also that acts as a cleaner 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 2:44pm
what Coke says... it gotta be REAL CLEAN of locktite to work.. and use the 'thread' strength NOT the 'permanent' version or it'll cost you large later.....don't ask...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 3:16pm
I would use green 680 loctite. It's supposed to be permanent, but a slight amount of heat will soften it enough to get a nut or bolt out after using.
 CLEAN is a must, we used to chase the threads, then spray with brake clean 2 or 3 times, blowing off with an air hose in between.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic