This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dr. Allis...I have a question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinC(MD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dr. Allis...I have a question
    Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 12:09pm
Sir, help me out a little on this spring from the vertical arm to the drain plug.  I'm having a tough time keeping my rpm's low enough to stay under 1890 fast idle while allowing my carb to open up under load.  The only method I see working "better" is making the adjustment on the carb side (even though I KNOW this isn't the right way).  Yesterday, my rpm's were spot on high idle, opening up on the carb side wide open under load, but my carb wouldn't really open up until I was at the end of the pull and lugging...too late!  Would an extra spring on the carb side help?  The one I saw yesterday was from the carb linkage to the drain plug.  Yours seems different?  Thanks very much for your help. Kevin
Sponsored Links

Dave (Mid-MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (Mid-MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 12:27pm
Will Dr. Allis know what model of tractor you are asking about? There might be others on the forum that could help if you included more information.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 12:45pm
I'm going to try and make this simple and to the point. Engine off....throttle wide open....adjust (bend) the vertical governor arm such that the carb link rod just slides into the arm hole or be even 1/16" too short. DO NOT EVER DEVIATE FROM THIS SETTING!!! (1/16" short will not affect the HP output) This is making the governor as "quickly" acting as it can ever be while still allowing for full open at the carb. If you need more (or less) rpms change the spring/plunger inside the governor OR add an external spring like I said earlier to the governer vertical arm, remembering to make the extra spring as long as you can and keeping it down low (1 to 2 inches max from the bottom) on the arm. Some of the 201/226 engines have a high idle rpm stop screw/bolt on the top off the governor front cover to be able to adjust rpm's some, but not 200rpm  at a time. Governor springs as I know of ..WC-1600 rpm tops...WD/WD45-1700 rpm.......170/175-1800 rpm (only with WC/WD/WD45/D17 governor weights!!!)........D17-2000 rpm........D17 spring with 170/175 weights-2200 rpm. These rpms numbers are close and will vary a little bit with the carb you are using and even cubic inches and camshaft style, but they are accurate in the results you will get from slowest to fastest. There are possibly a couple of other springs for other applications listed in the parts books.
KevinC(MD) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinC(MD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 1:49pm
Thanks very much for the help.  I am working with a WD 45 with too heavy of a governor spring for those of you who haven't heard my predicament.  That definitely explains why I saw a spring mounted on that 45 yesterday; he was probably trying to bring his rpm's up with a regular or worn out spring.  I definitely understand the carb side of the equation now and I will keep it that way!  I believe it is time to look at that governor spring and change it out.  For 1890 max rpm, should the stock 45 spring be ok?  I've never worked inside the governor, is that spring/plunger swap a job better left for the pros?  Thanks again to DrAllis and all for the help.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

I'm going to try and make this simple and to the point. Engine off....throttle wide open....adjust (bend) the vertical governor arm such that the carb link rod just slides into the arm hole or be even 1/16" too short. DO NOT EVER DEVIATE FROM THIS SETTING!!! (1/16" short will not affect the HP output) This is making the governor as "quickly" acting as it can ever be while still allowing for full open at the carb. If you need more (or less) rpms change the spring/plunger inside the governor OR add an external spring like I said earlier to the governer vertical arm, remembering to make the extra spring as long as you can and keeping it down low (1 to 2 inches max from the bottom) on the arm. Some of the 201/226 engines have a high idle rpm stop screw/bolt on the top off the governor front cover to be able to adjust rpm's some, but not 200rpm  at a time. Governor springs as I know of ..WC-1600 rpm tops...WD/WD45-1700 rpm.......170/175-1800 rpm (only with WC/WD/WD45/D17 governor weights!!!)........D17-2000 rpm........D17 spring with 170/175 weights-2200 rpm. These rpms numbers are close and will vary a little bit with the carb you are using and even cubic inches and camshaft style, but they are accurate in the results you will get from slowest to fastest. There are possibly a couple of other springs for other applications listed in the parts books.
  why are the springs different strengths if the difference is in the way the gov. weights are made. Also why when asking allis chalmers dealor for new gov. weights they say there is only one part number for replacement weights on all 201 226 series. Also a d 17 spring on a wc gov. will yeild as many high idle rpms as the gleanor spring or the 175 spring if set correctly 2000 rpms but the highest priced 75.00 175 spring holds the rpms under load the highest. Dr. Allis youre right about the gov. spring cover not affecting more than 200 rpms because the bolt is short replaced with alonger bolt it will give more control to lower high idle. Also the lerio gov spring used with the allis gov. will run if set correctly 3600 gov. rpms. As you posted above.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 6:21pm
There are THREE different 201/226 governor weights....Gleaner E/E3 combine is p/n 70236562 (I have two pair in my hands as I write this)........the 170/175 weight (which I have no p/n).....if a partsman is telling you different, either he isn't looking, or AGCO has discontinued them (which is possible)...and the WC-WD-WD45-D17 weights (which I also do not have a p/n for. Different strength springs control the maximum speed and to a small degree droop. If you had these three DIFFERENT weights in your hands you would see the difference in the design of the fulcrum on each one.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 6:50pm

Ok I have to order some parts this week I will check on that part number. I dont know how I was getting less droop with the 175 spring on the wc  gov but it checked right with the books rpm listings on a 175. I must just be lucky I guess.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 7:38pm
I've just been on AGCO's website for parts books and here's what I found....WC-WD-WD45-D17 governor weight is p/n 70229980 with a 70229519 gov spring/plunger...170-175 governor weights are 70248572 with a 70226785 gov spring/plunger and finally E-E3 Gleaner weights are 70236562 and the spring (without a plunger) is 70236564.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 8:16pm
which weights are the best for the least amount of droop

Edited by mlpankey - 11 Apr 2010 at 8:29pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 8:44pm
I've always used E-E3 weights on my pulling engines.
Allis Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 6:54am
Curious Why E weights? I was always told the don't lug down right. My combo is 45 weights and a d17 spring 1700 rpm. had a yellow stripe ? wd45 ? spring and couldn't get under 1900 rpms.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:10am
They have the least amount of droop by design of the fulcrum......combines need to run a steady speed for the seperator to work properly. If you're happy with your setup, stick with it.  WD45 springs will get you 1700 rpm tops and D17 springs will get you 2000 rpm tops.....I don't know what the paint stripe code is/was.
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 11:35am

I have the E Gleaner setup on a D17. Running the 20kw generator or grinding feed or the square baler it is smooth as a whistle. Change the load conditions and it don't skip a beat. Using it in the road ditch to make hay and thats when you can tell the E gov. is not setup for tractor work. Up the approach and the gov finally kicks in at the top so you can race down the other side.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic