This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Down on the Farm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjerden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Down on the Farm
    Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:43pm

"Farm living is the life for me". My WD drilling post holes for a new pen last weekend. While there are plenty of new posts in the hedge row behind, I don't mind using the old ones. I am told they can last 100 years.

Edited by sjerden - 07 Apr 2010 at 9:59pm
Sponsored Links

Osage_Orange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osage_Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 10:38pm
How are you going to know?  LOL
Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but always time to go back and fix it?
sjerden View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjerden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 10:42pm
Heard it from a 70 year old man 30 years ago. His father told him.

Edited by sjerden - 07 Apr 2010 at 10:42pm
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 11:22pm

nice setup there steve...say, hows that hitch workin that i sent ya?

1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
sjerden View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjerden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 8:15am
I put it on my blade last week. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. I had welded together one that wasn't too tight, but it did the job. I'm interested in how much better it stays on track and doesn't wobble left and right with the hitch that you sent. I had looked all over for one around here and couldn't find one.  Thanks.

Edited by sjerden - 08 Apr 2010 at 8:17am
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 8:25am
I was thinking about that 100 year thing, I bet there is some type's of wood that can last that long, don't try using the PTreated lumber at the local lumberyards, it will rot off at ground line in about 3 years and break off!!! c/CT
sjerden View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjerden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 10:31am

"Hedge wood is renowned for its hardness and resistance to decay. These same characteristics .. make it so desirable for fenceposts...."

This article is at http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=MP903-35

more pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/shaadowfoxphotographie/3031613475/

The article refers to it as Osage orange trees. I've never heard it called Osage orange trees until now. It always been Hedgewood to me. I have posts that are no more than an inch and a half round that are tough as nails and very old; in the ground with fence on them on my 140 year old farm. They were old when I bought the farm 30years ago, and still sturdy. You've probably seen Hedgeapples.

Hedgeapples, thrown under the house, will keep the bugs away. They are toxic.
Max(ia) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max(ia) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:09pm
We called it Hedge also, but it's actually Osage Orange.  Wife scatters hedge apples all over the place to keep away insects, maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.   lol
Have had some experience as a kid cutting hedge posts, before the chainsaw, not a fun job at all.  I believe they will last a lifetime and lord help you if you want to drive steeple(staple) into an old post.   lol

sjerden View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjerden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 8:47pm
Find a crack and the staples will go in, most times.
Nick in MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick in MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 10:37pm
Friend of mine uses that osage wood to make bows, it is supposed to be real good stuff.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if it weren't for John Deeres our tools would rust
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 11:00pm
My place is full of hedge(Osage orange).The stuff is like Iron.I save 8' lengths as I cut them up.Someday I plan on replacing some fences around my land.The posts there now are over 70. Crooked and cracked but they will pull out before they break off.
A guy up by Peoria comes down and gets a fresh cut straight 6-7 ft piece.He seals end in wax,waits 6 months,then splits into staves and then carves bows.Beautiful work,I would never have patience to learn.I will stick with modern tech.Maybe when I retire.LOL
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic