This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Different ways to pick-up hay bales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:18am

Hey Good Buddy,,,one question that I'm sure everybody here has got,,,,Does thet dime store cowboy ever actually ride them hosses,,,????LOL Maybe just at the parades,,???LOL
 Bout 5 years ago,,,,My neighbor across the street bought a nice lookin stud Buckskin  that looked to be 1-2 years old and thet sob was just plumb full of vim and vinegar,,I'm talkin bout the horse,,OK,,??
 Anyway,,bout a month or so went by and I never seen him try to mount the horse til one day,,they had em a shindig or birthday goin on,,anyway,,they was a few peoples over there and after a few beers ,,,he decides to show them city folks how the country folks do their business and after fightin the hoss tryin to get the saddle on,,,he finally gets in the saddle and,,,,and,,,,the horse takes a few jumps and with the greatest of ease bucks the neighbor off ,,,who lands on his face,,,,on the rocks.(he gots rocks too) all the troops is scaird and yellin and run over to him,,,who by the way ,,,AIN'T MOVED all this time,,,LOL,,,somebody finally splashes a beer on his face and he comes to,,,Chit,,I thought they was gonna have to call the ambulance cause he on the ground and not even tryin to get up,,!! I was fixin to go over there when he finally gets up and they carry him inside his house. I figured he went inside to get his gun but pretty soon everybody leaves and the party is over,,!!WinkWink
 I really thought he was gonna get rid of the horse THEN ,,,,but the horse is STILL there eatin lots of hay every day all the time and horse ain't ever been rode,,,,cause the dude never tried again,,!!!LOL
Sponsored Links

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:09am
Do they ever ride their hay burners? Some do......some don't.

Place we live now was built by a couple.....she wanted horses. He told me she sat on a horse about as well as a bowling ball......fell off both times she tried to ride one. Got rid of horses and sold the place shortly after. Horse barn they built is where I store hay and the hay baler.

Lady down the road was making fun of lady next door......calling her nags "yard ornaments"........which I thought was kinda funny......as she has one that nobody ever rides either......a high spirited Arabian I refer to as a crotch rocket.

One set of neighbors used to rodeo......they roped all over the Midwest and Texas and daughter won a lot of ribbons barrel racing.....but kids are grown and have moved on. Horses still grazing and eating hay. Another neighbor down the road won some kind of belt buckle earlier this summer on a cutting horse. Another down the road has "high tales"......gated horses that in my mind wouldn't be good for much other than dog food.

Another lady has a pacing mule she takes on trail rides in the Ozarks. One guy has a whole hillside full of donkeys. All of it hobby stuff and I can't think of anyone who actually has a horse that is put to anything truly useful*.

Good news is the owners all have money and the horses all eat hay!!!!

* Watched an Amish lad mowing the lawn with a draft horse pulling a reel type mower the other day. That was impressive. Dang near as manuverable as a zero turn mower.

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:17pm
Wink Dang it modirt I grew up riding,I still ware cowboy boots,got a few nice hats, got cows . I JUST TO HAVE A HOSS stand out there doing nothing cause it just has to be.LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Even if Joe and Dale are not looking and laughing.

And yes I grow the dang old hay so I know its not free ether. Kind of like having a dog around,just another very worthless pet.

But................but ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused now I helped side track my own story that was about the hay not the horse.

Shameless what happened to your hospitality ConfusedConfused you could of told guy the redneck way of unloading the truck. You know fast reverse and then lots of brake.LOLLOL Nothing to it bed empties every time.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:37pm
Here's a New Holland model at auction in MT.

D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 3:17am

Well,,,,,the neighbor across the street ain't the only'ist one around here that keeps horses for a status symbal,,,they's lots of them dime store cowboys out here and thing is some of them prolly have to miss some meals of their own cause of havin to feed them horses,,,,just cannot figure that one out,,,chit them hosses ain'nt even good guard animals,,,,,,,,LOL
 Now havin said all that,,,I LIKE the "thought" of horses and,,,,and,,,many, many times when we was draggin some game out of the forest,,,I always been wishin we had some horses,,,but I ain't gonna feed them all year for a couple of hours of work outa them,,,,,,,Wink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 8:18am
Most people don't realize the true cost and work involved with keeping a horse. They romanticize a lifestyle in their head from movies. Then reality hits hard when they get one. I hate seeing news reports or hearing of neglected starving sick horses. Lots more to it than just hay and a shed. I think they should be treated the same for their treatment of these or any other animal in this way.

OK I'm done.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 10:42am
I agree chaskaduo,  90% of the time when I see horses in a pen ,  there is no grass just bare dirt.    I am not an animal rights activist but when I see this situation I feel sorry for the horse.
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 1:24pm
I agree with all of that but when your granddaughter looks up at you and says"grampa I wish I could have a horse"  what ya gonna do?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 2:26pm
Talked to a local guy who used one of those last summer......told me they did 2,000 bales in one day with one. It kept up with 2 JD 336 balers. That would be impressive.

Downside is the barn you are stacking in has to be setup for one. And not sure how they protect the bottom layer if stacking on dirt or cement.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 2:38pm
Heard a guy comment a few years ago about going to horse auctions in MO Ozarks......this was about 5 years ago.

Said if you took a trailer to a horse auction you had to put a padlock on it before you went inside......otherwise, you might come out and find horses in it........now they were your problem.

Anyway.....comment first struck me as funny......but then not so much.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

Here's a New Holland model at auction in MT.

Ooops......meant to include John's link to the stackliner.

We could get that thing going..........Wink
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 12:42am
my SIL had a horse stable down by the big city, boarded lots of rich folks horses, and then offered extra services over the boarding costs. boarding a horse there cost them $600 a month for a 12x12 stall, that included 2 feedings a day, stalls kept cleaned with clean wood shavings per month, and exercised 2-3 times a week unless the owners came out to ride them. there were 75 indoor stalls and numerous outdoor stalls that were 1/2 priced. she had a waiting list for stall rental. had trainers for them owners that were known nation wide, that was an extra (BIG) cost to the horse owner. another extra cost was transporting to shows all over USA and Canada. the horses were transported free to and from the shows, and depending on what horses went, the owners of them paid all the expenses for everything else. entry fees, hotel, meals, car rentals, feed, trainers, exercise persons, everything! if I could get off work I would drive the truck and trailer where ever the show was, usually gone for 3 weeks at each show. the trailer was all steal, had a 6 ft short wall dressing room in front (gooseneck) then a 5 ft tack room, the room for 8 horses at a slant ride. that was one long and heavy load. only ones I know on this forum that could afford all this is Joe and Darrel!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 4:04am

Well,,,Shameless,,,,as I said before,,,,"I Like Horses",,,,but,,,,but,,,,I rather like to look at em in somebody elses yards,,,,
  EVEN THO,,,I still gots a scar that is STILL bout 3/8" wide and 8" long on my upper right thigh that was caused by a danged horse when I was bout 12 years old. I was always a sucker for a dare to try and ride a horse that the farm owner had. None of my other brothers could stay on that gray but "I bet you can't get on ole Gray today" was usually enough to get me to try yet again,,,,, Thet sob tried to bite me many times, he did.
The scar happened one day when the horse was on the other side of the reservior and he was havin himself a bad day and when he seen me playin in the reservoir,,,,HERE HE COMES,,,!  Thet sob jumped in the water and started to swim across the reservoir to get at me,,,I started swimming for the house and it was a pretty good race til I got to the fence and did NOT make the first jump and here comes thet danged horse neighing all the time,,,!!! The second jump is when I got hung up on the top strand of the friggin barbed wire fence,,,!!! I must of been screamin cause here comes my Dad, Mom and two of my brothers and finally run the friggin horse off and get me off the fence. I remember my Mom puttin some kind of country herbs and wrapping the leg up with sheets to stop the bleeding. I never was much for wearin shorts cause of thet big old scar,,,,,,,,,and I still like horses,,,,,,,Clap
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 1:14am
Thad and me would have sat down fence of ya and laughed! that would have been a good beer drink'in sight to watch!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 2:08am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

Thad and me would have sat down fence of ya and laughed! that would have been a good beer drink'in sight to watch!

Well,,,you wouldn't been the only'ist ones laughin at me,,!!! Thas the reason my brothers would dare me to get on that mean horse,,,,livin out in the country,,with nuttin to do,,I usually provided the entertainment for them,,,,,LOL,,,,
Chit,,there was another time he let me get on him and he waited til I was settin comfortable,,,then,,,then,,the sob took off like a rocket,,,chit it was all I could do just to hang on to the mane,,,he took me to the far corner of the pasture,,,,and done a couple of Bubba Gumps all over thet pasture til he bucked me off,,,,you guessed it,,,at the farthest corner from the house.
 I was sure glad when some people from a rodeo come and took his azz away,,,him buckin and snortin and neighin all the time,,,he musta known he wouldn't have ole Joe to torment any more,,,,,,LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 10:42pm
i was sposed to go on a trail ride one weekend, the trainers told me I could pick any one I wanted. they was all named names like FIRE, LIGHTNING, TROUBLE, and some names I couldn't pronounce...I asked them if they had any named NAG? I hadn't ridden for quite a few years! plus my back prolly wouldn't let me ride for very long. I chose to stay back and do the cookin for them all!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 10:49pm
I have a big round bale picker upper here, it's a trailer type, I don't know how to explain it...it holds 4 bales, has 4 prongs that lower down, and you stab the bale as you pass it, then pull a rope and that bale raises up on end, then you lower the next prong and stab another bale, pull the rope and it raises up, then the 3rd prong you back into the bale to stab it, and do the same with the 4th prong. you can haul the 4 bales home with the tractor, or you can dolly the tongue down and hitch it to a pickup for transport. when home, you just pull the rope again and the bales lower down and you drive away from them for unload. it's factory made. I forget the manuf. name off hand. I used it once and it worked very well. I've never seen another like it around here, but this area isn't much of a hay producing area here either. it's for sale, I don't have any hay ground anymore.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 6:32pm
I'll take it but you have to deliver
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:44pm
spose I hafta take payment in chickies?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

spose I hafta take payment in chickies?

Wink  Last week you were looking how to keep the water for the first chicky warm,so Confused why not have some more.LOL
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 1:54pm
Got about 300 lbs in the incinerator. They'll be WELLLLL. DOONNNNEEEE by the time you get here
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 3:05pm
Do not, again I say Do not piss off Tyler, they will never find your body. Wink
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 3:15pm

That's what my father in law threatened me with not long after me and the wife started dating. He said "that thing will take 500 lbs of chicken and turn it into a 5 gallon bucket of ashes in about 3 hours. How much do you weigh?"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 10:48pm
uh....
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 12:40pm
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 4:04pm
Quite the setup Ray. Drool, Drool. Thumbs Up
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 4:48pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 4:49pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 4:52pm
Ray.......... does the BOSS ever get to drive the tractor ?  Thumbs Up

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 6:50pm
Being no smarter than Wink  O'l Picterless I need to beg my Wonderfull to help LOL and she is not a expert ether but not right is better than never. So thanks Steve. But I now see he didn't resize all of them Geek but learned a tip for from a geek sometime, hold control key and click the - sign to make them big pictures smaller(as big as these take 3 or 4 clicks) so you can see all of it in the screen or + to make things bigger.

Wink But I hide from the camera,as well as my Wonderful. That is Ed running what are always called the "hay squeeze" all over the west. O'l Ed and his brother started hauling hay in high school and they never quit.LOL But they started with a side loader elevator like I started this whole mess with. But Ed had his wife June to spot for him as there is a lot you don't see from the operator's seat. I don't know  how many places build hay squeeze's today. Cause there was a big brew haa haa between a Calif and Oregon companies that both wanted to be Road Runner hay squeeze. But this one was built by Ed. The mast was appropriated  from a big forklift, and a bunch of a truck tractor parts under there. I the one you can see a steering wheel behind Ed, that is where you drive to go down the road at better than 70 MPH.

But with a Wink bit of luck not one bale had to be touched by anybody's hand to fill my barn on Tuesday.Oh yes June use to be the main operator of the squeeze and Ed drove a truck tractor and 2 trailers with 7 of the hay blocks on it. But June has slowed down a bit lately.

The hay needs a tarp on the south and west side where the rain comes from. But now I have think about loading the bales when it's feeding time. But it's better to have and not need,Wink than need and not have.LOL So the nice 100+ lb bales in the barn with Wink no hands touching them,Wink well at least 80+% were never touched. Yes if my place was leveler and smother you can get close 99% no hands.LOLLOLLOL

Edited by Ray54 - 27 Sep 2019 at 7:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic