This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diesels and cold starts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesels and cold starts
    Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 2:49am
In this thread 

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ttalk&th=1885492

There is this comment by JayinNY

"I don't want a diesel because it won't start in the winter. Not what I think, but heard others say this."

Which caused me to check the parts book for our Fiat Allis 10 to see if I had missed any cold start aids.  Apparently there weren't any - apart from a cold start button on the pump.  We don't have any problem but we also don't get below about -10C at times.

What did they have in N America?
Sponsored Links

pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:51am
A block heater will help. some people and some machines has a button for a shot of either. If a diesel motor is running correctly and your battery will turn it over fast enough then It will start in cold weather. a lot of gas motors has trouble starting. Battery maintainer will help keep the battery up.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 8:52am
Some engines are just harder to start, in the cold, both gas and diesel.  I have a DD grader, that will start in the coldest weather no probs, while the D19 (roughly the same motor) required at least an hour of pre heating.  Rather than installing coolant heaters in alla my diesels, I have a coleman tent heater, that I slide under the oil pans of the balky ones, to preheat the entire motor, for about an hour, if U absolutely have to start them, in the few days of cold weather we have here, in MD...Wink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 8:55am
My 7G is a pig below 30, the 180 below 20.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 9:03am
Agree with comment about different engines start different. My Bobcat fires up at any temp. 30 seconds of glowplug will fire up at 0 or colder. My 1855 Oliver is a baby pig. Needs 2 minutes of glow plug or overnight with block heater plugged in, my HD 16 so far takes right off and it's been 12 degrees already. I think the new batteries and 00awg new cables help.

All are diesel.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 10:18am
I have a cold start kit on my FD5 Fiat Dozer with the 4 cylinder Fiat engine - consists of a canister like a propane torch with either and then line to intake . 
 NEVER had to use it - ran machine at -15 F removing snow from couple jobs where drifted roads and drives were a problem 
 I was amazed that the Fiat engine started so easily when cold - in fact not much difference from when warm out - just a few more revolutions of the crank and little more smoke for a minute or so 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 2:16pm
If you use a synthetic diesel oil, you are way ahead of the game. 5W-40 or 5W-30.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 5:03pm
A friend flew small aircraft in Alaska. Periodically he would have to land the airplane because he was trapped by the weather. He would wait out the storm. He would drain the oil and heat it over a fire and put it back in the motor before trying to start it. Even gasoline motors have difficulty when it is cold.

Last week we had a few days with snow and below zero temperatures. My Kubota diesel started but did not run well because I was still using summer grade diesel. I went to purchase anti jell fuel supplement but they were all sold out. It is warmer now and my Kubota runs great. I will have to get some anti jell when they restock.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Dozer Dozer wrote:

A friend flew small aircraft in Alaska. Periodically he would have to land the airplane because he was trapped by the weather. He would wait out the storm. He would drain the oil and heat it over a fire and put it back in the motor before trying to start it. Even gasoline motors have difficulty when it is cold.

Last week we had a few days with snow and below zero temperatures. My Kubota diesel started but did not run well because I was still using summer grade diesel. I went to purchase anti jell fuel supplement but they were all sold out. It is warmer now and my Kubota runs great. I will have to get some anti jell when they restock.

Yep, the anti-gell is important.  I lucked out a coupla years ago, when they changed out to uls fuel, all the old anti-gell ended up either in a dumpster, or at auction, I bought like 20 qts of it fer $5...
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 6:39pm
I have not had issues starting any of the 3 diesels I have as long as the batteries are good.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 6:51pm
We had a 1952 TD6.  The original operators manual had instructions down to -50F.  IIRC at that level the coolant was mostly antifreeze and the oil was mostly kerosene.  I don't recall what the diesel was.  Recommended was not to stop it.  If you had to then drain the coolant and then the oil and take both inside to keep warm.

Another comment about Edmonton I've heard was "You know it is cold when your VW Beetle in the garage won't start because the oil is frozen"
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 9:54am
Ian is correct on the old red machines.
I have not tested my 1952 IH TD6 in extreme cold. But the design is unique in that it will start on gas and then when warmed up, switch over to diesel. A good design in the old days. Unit still works good, but is a summer worker (toy) only. :)
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic