This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did I ruin my B?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xrishansen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did I ruin my B?!?
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 1:45pm
 Hello Allis fans.

I just got me an allis model B. I love her to death. When I got it home everything worked just great. It ran nice and quiet and everything great. It did smoke a little when I would first start it up but that would go away once she warmed up a little. I talked to a guy I know about that and he said it needed new rings but would maybe settle back in place if I took it for a long ride. So this AM I decided to do that. Well about 5 miles and I decided to pull over by big green lake and take a little break. I put it in N and sat back to enjoy the view. Well I sat there and idled about 5 Min. at low throttle, then thought I'd be on my way. Pushed in the clutch, shifted into 1st, and let her out slow. Then a big puff of smoke came out from the bell housing and she quit!!! Now I can't even turn the crank! It rolls just fine in N but won't budge in gear. I even tried to give it a pull in 1st with my six wheeler and the wheels are locked up. Anybody know what to do? Also found a bunch of dried up grease crap around the bell where she smoked. DID I RUIN MY BABY?

Sponsored Links

R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 1:53pm
Only thing I can think of is the clutch expoded. I would split the tractor at the bell housing and see what really happened.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 1:57pm
Will it roll free with the clutch pushed down? If it does something locked up in the transmission. If it doesn't it most likely had the clutch fly apart.
No mater, it will just take a little work in taking things apart and putting in good parts. The old girl has a lot of miles in her one way or the other. 

Edited by Dick L - 13 Dec 2011 at 1:58pm
AaronH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 1:58pm
Check to make the shift lever didnt jump out of the groove in there and you actually have it trying to go into two gears at once. mine would do that if I was not real careful how i shifted it. but... after I re read, you say it will go into Neutral.. might be a little more complicated than this.

Edited by AaronH - 13 Dec 2011 at 2:01pm
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 2:01pm
Welcome to the forum xrishansen,

While this may seem like a bad deal, the good news is this.  These are very simple tractors, very easy to work on.  There were tons of Bs built, so parts aren't too bad, or hard to get ahold of.

The first thing I want to ask, does the engine still run, with the clutch depressed, if so, does it die when in neutral, and clutch released, or does it die when in gear clutch released?

To R.W's point, does it make any noises while the engine is running, if the clutch came apart, it would be making all kinds of noise?

My first guess is the tranny is stuck in two gears, that would be a real good thing, not to hard to fix.  Until you can answer those questions it will be difficult to get into too much detail.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 2:02pm
Man you guys are fast

I swear you weren't there a moment ago?!?!  :-)
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
xrishansen View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xrishansen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 2:05pm
Okay, sounds like something I can handle maybe. I was terrified I froze up the engine somehow! Is there any way to get around in there without splitting the tractor apart or am I gonna just have to do that? So........you guys think it's just a trans issue? I didn't seize it up you think? :)

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 2:08pm
The allis transmission, when worn out, is famous for going into two gears at once, or shifter fork coming out of the slot, and then the shifter is not showing the correct gear.

To clarify what I mean by worn out, is the ball on the end of the shifter, not the gears.  The gears in these things are tough, the collar teeth didn't stand up to well to grinding gears, but one thing at a time.

Edited by Orange Blood - 13 Dec 2011 at 2:09pm
Still in use:
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xrishansen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 2:11pm
You guys are fast. Thank you, I feel very lucky that people are out there with good advice or else I'd feel pretty stuck and alone about this.

To answer your questions.......I can't start it. It's just a crank, and the crank won't budge. Everything seemed fine till it died. Running great. I didn't try to turn the crank with the clutch in though, hard to do alone. This thing about being in two gears at once, can you guys tell me a little bit more about that?

R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 2:19pm
When its in 2 gears at once Its like a tug of war between the gears and as you let the clutch out it will kill the motor and not move. I do not know how to fix this (but others do).
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 2:27pm
Basically you pull the stick out of the top, and realign the gear forks, put the stick back in and you are done.  One of hte other guys will know more about the B, but I think it is just a snapring holding the gearshift lever in.
Still in use:
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xrishansen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 2:32pm
Okay guys! I'm gonna take the six wheeler down to the lake and tinker that a little bit. I'll let you know what happens. Boy I wish I could just her her run again, I'd feel a lot better then.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 2:33pm
Did a little more looking on the Agco parts book, and it is just a snap ring, that hold the shift lever in, and worst case, if something is broke in the shift linkage, the side cover to the right and below hold the shift rails, and forks, so it would be a fairly simple fix, if we are on the right path.
Still in use:
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by xrishansen xrishansen wrote:

Hello Allis fans.

It rolls just fine in N but won't budge in gear. I even tried to give it a pull in 1st with my six wheeler and the wheels are locked up.

I just read your post again, if what I understand you are saying is correct, its not a gear problem.

If the tractor rolls either with a tug from the 6 wheeler, or by pushing on the rear tires when the tranny is in Neutral, but won't budg when in any gear, and the engine won't crank over with the clutch released while the tranny is in neutral, you might have a clutch or input shaft problem.

But lets make sure first, because the above will be a split for sure.
Still in use:
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xrishansen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 4:04pm
Okay. Just got home from down by the lake.

I tried to pull the stick like one of you guys suggested. Took off the boot and tried poking around that ring, but I couldn't figure that out and it kinda looked like it didn't come out that way, but I know very little about this stuff anyway. So I thought well I'll just open the box from the side and have a looksee in there. So I opened that and holy more than I expected cuz the forks and stuff are attached to the cover! Well it came down and out and the stick was free. Okay. So then, I think I put that back right, but I'm not 100% on that cuz now it will shift into 1,2,and R, but the stick isn't going into 3rd. Also when the stick is loose and it should be in N it doesn't roll anymore. Anybody?

Goose View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 4:13pm
The best thing you can do for now is get someone to give you a pull and get it home. Put it in the garage or shed where you can work on it.
I might suggest taking out the spark plugs and see if you can roll the engine over with no compression. At least you can take it from there.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 4:59pm
Its probalby not the transmission because you can shift in and out of gear, and back to neutral. When in neutral it rolls ( or did), but will not crank. That means the clutch or motor is stuck. Push on the clutch pedal, what does it feel like (disengaging?) I would have someone hold down on tthe clutch pedal, and then see if you can move the crank at all. Either way, you have to split the tractor to get to it. --- Block under the drawbar and the transmission so the back end is steady. Take off the hood, gas tank, wires, etc and then the flywheel housing bolts so the clutch, motor , radiator and front wheels will roll out in one piece. You can use an engine hoist on the front end and reach over and grab the valve cover area, or you can park in the barn and use a 3/4 ton chainfall and do the same thing. Roll the motor and wheels forward 2 feet, then you can see the clutch. The drivshaft will fall off the spline at this point... that might also be the problem.
something stuck in that area............
Transmission lever is somewhat of a pain in the a**.  TAke teh cover back off, put the lever in neutral and move the shift forks so they line up together for neutral.. slid it together again, put in 2 bolts and try to shift it... might take 2-3 shots to get it right. Your not the first one to do this !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 5:05pm
Motor pulled with chainfall to beam on barm ceiling
Note-- 2 x 2 angle iron strap on valve cover bolts to use as lift.

Edited by steve(ill) - 13 Dec 2011 at 5:08pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 5:06pm
Back end blocked front and rear-- torque tube and drive shaft are off, normally they stay with trans when motor is pulled. Your blocking can be  near front of torque tube.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 5:12pm
Christopher, Welcome to the best old tractor site on the web. There is lots of help here.
 If it shifted into neutral and the wheels would roll, you probably didn't need to take the tranny apart. If you can put it in neutral now and make sure your wheels will turn, either by rolling the tractor or jacking one rear wheel up, pull the clutch down and keep it there with a piece of wire or ratchet strap. If the engine still isn't free, you have a problem in front of the transmission.
 First gear is way to low of a gear to use to try and pull it with an ATV. 3rd would be the best choice, but I wouldn't try that till you find out where the problem is. Dick L has some great pictures to show how to split the little Allis tractors if you determine that is necessary. I'd bet he would pass on a link to those pictures when you get that far.  Charlie
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xrishansen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 5:20pm
Oh boy. Okay. Any advice on how to make it roll again so I can get it up on a trailer? What happens if I take the cover plate of the trans. again? Is it in neutral if those forks are out of the gears?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 5:37pm
You should not take the cover off, without taking the gershift lever out.  Best bet now is to slide the gears by hand, so that they do not engage any other collars, then it will be in neutral, just leave the cover off for now.  The forks do not have to be in the tranny to put it into gear, the gears slide on the shaft to engage and disengage the shafts.
Still in use:
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 6:38pm
My guess is 65 years of mouse nest  in bell housing
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 8:48pm
If you have the tranny in "A" gear you will need to remove the side cover and get it into true neutral and get the cover back on to keep it in neutral so you can return it to the shop. Pulling the tractor with nothing holding the gears could allow the tranny to jump into gear and strip something out in the tranny making you more problems.

That said, look at what went on in your time line before the test drive. Did you remove anything from the bell housing such as cultivators or something. My grandfather removed the cultivator from he and screwed the bolts back in hand loose. After running the engine for awhile a bolt screwed itself in against the flywheel and wedged effectively locking the engine up tight. So, I would look at the obvious cheap things first before assuming it's a huge problem. Could be the clutch disc lining came loose from the disc and flew out against the bell housing. A good flashlight might help you see up through the inspection hole, but it looks like your headed for splitting the tractor to repair it unless it's a bolt issue or something equally as silly.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by D-17_Dave D-17_Dave wrote:

Pulling the tractor with nothing holding the gears could allow the tranny to jump into gear and strip something out in the tranny making you more problems.

Thanks for that catch Dave, my suggestion was to get it up on the trailer.  It seems I tend to leave out those important details.

Thanks again
Still in use:
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 9:27pm
That is correct Dave. If the transmission has ingaged two different gears at the same time one has had to slip out of the fork. You can correct this by taking the side cover off and getting the fork back into the groove in the slide gear. You can do this without removing the gear shift stick. You can not do this by only removing the gear stick..
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 9:32pm
Don't worry B's are a dime a dozen if you can't fix it yourself.
You can save it for a parts tractor if you get another one.
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 9:33pm
OK, i'll take a crack at this too.
You said it was sitting there idling nicely.
You pushed in the clutch and put it into 1st gear, then slowly released the clutch.
Then you saw a puff of smoke from the bellhousing and the engine died suddenly.
Now it won't turn over, but will roll when put in neutral(before the shift fork episode).
OK, that should rule out tranny problems.
You say it doesn't have an electric starter, so that rules out the starter bendix being stuck in the engaged position, which was my first thought.
As has already been said, check for a trashed clutch first. Look directly under the bellhousing, on the torque tube, there is an inspection port there that is also used to adjust the clutch pressure plate. It may or may not have a cover, but is easy to pop out if it does. Get a good flashlight, make sure the wheels are chocked so it doesnt roll over you, then sit down under there and take a good, long look. There should be a clutch release bearing that straddles the driveshaft. Bearing sits on a cylinder-shaped "bushing" that is attached to the clutch fork. Clutch fork is hinged, and has the end of the clutch pedal rod attached to it with an adjustment nut to change the length of pedal travel. Clutch fork should be attached to throwout bearing assembly on both sides, and should not be canted at any crazy angles. Also make sure the other end of the clutch fork is resting in the torque tube so that it will properly pivot to release the clutch. It's good to have a helper to push the clutch pedal so you can watch everything. Again, make sure you chock the wheels!
If the throwout system is working, move on up to the pressure plate. There are "fingers" that the throwout bearing presses against to release the pressure plates grip on the clutch disc. These should all be sticking out the same distance from the pressure plate, and there should not be any springs or bolts sticking out. These fingers are adjustable, so make sure none of the adjuster bolts have backed out and bound up on anything. If that looks good, get someone to push the clutch in, then look in one of the spaces between the flywheel and the pressure plate. You should be able to see the friction disc. Take a screwdriver or a stick and see if you can wiggle the friction disc with the clutch pressed in. You should be able to move the disc a little, and you should be able to spin it somewhat with the trans in neutral and the clutch pressed in all the way. If not, there may be something in the binding it up. Don't stick your finger in there to try to move anything. That pressure plate has a lot of force, and can mess up some digits. Don't ask how I know. : )
You may find that when you look at the friction disc part of the clutch, you find some or all of the liner broken free of the hub and jammed in there. That may be where the puff of smoke came from. Just doesn't sound like the engine would have seized if it wasn't knocking or rattling first. Did you notice how the oil pressure was running before all of this happened? Sorry for the long-winded post. Maybe something will help. Let us know, and good luck.
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xrishansen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 12:25am
You guys are great!
  I bought this thing so I could learn about tractors and to have a hobby. Looks like I'll be getting that for sure. Now I just have a few more questions and answers for ya"ll.

If I put line up the forks on that plate like the picture from Dick L and put it back in will that mean I'll have it in neutral again, or will I need to move something around inside there to do that?

I remember now that the guy who sold it to me mentioned he had rebuilt the clutch and that's where she puffed and there was crud around it so I think that's it. When I do get it home can I split it right there with a couple of floor jacks? Looks to me like that would be pretty easy, there doesn't seem like to much to disconnect to do that. Or is it more complicated than just disconnecting a few things and pulling it apart?

As far as the oil pressure That DREAM mentioned I don't really know because I don't think the gauge was working when I got it. It would burn a little bit but not a lot maybe half a quart in a week maybe running 15 20 hours or so. The needle never went into the low box, just stayed right on that line and didn't ever move. It also never ran hot never ever. That gauge works just fine.

Thanks guys for all your good advice, I'll make sure and post a few pictures when I finally do get it back home. I'm gonna lie awake all night cuz I know it's out there sitting by the lake in the rain.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 4:36am
If your shifter stick is in neutral when you pull the side cover off the ident balls will keep the forks in neutral unless the forkes are bumped hard.

Some pictures of split tractors.

Might be hard to see in the pictures below but I put jack stands under the drawbar to hold the rear tires just off the ground.  That gives me a solid three point lift.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic