This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deutz Allis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deutz Allis
    Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 8:54pm
How long did Deutz-Allis make green tractors under that name , don't see that many.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Sponsored Links

Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:14pm
From 1985 to 1990 when it was sold to the Allis Gleaner Corporation.

They didn't sell many tractor so you won't see many.
AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:24pm

Quite a bunch sold here.Lots of european immigrant farmers were partial to the Deutz.
I have a 7085 from 1990 that is a great tractor.
   The transmissions were a nightmare to repair though.Have seen the insides of a powershift spread from piller to post in the dealer's shop. The parts are heinously expensive.
   They went from 1985 or so till up around 1990 when AGCO came into play.Probably someone will have exact dates.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:54pm
Here in my neck of the woods we didn't see to many. They just weren't very popular. They were built on an obsolete platform. The Oliver based White tractors weren't exactly selling like hotcakes for White and they were down right crude compared to an 8000 series Allis or a John Deere of the time. Most farmers simply had no interest in the air cooled engines and the choice of color certainly was less than appealing. They had an equal reputation as rugged and economical and clumsy and unreliable.
AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
Dale-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 7:21am
The utility tractors stayed green up till 92 or so when the first AA tractors made it.  The only DA tractors painted orange where the 9100 series.  We must have got every good DA tractor built from what we are told, dad and uncles where the #1 dealer for 2 or 3 years in that time and we love those tractors.  Yes the cab was unhandy to get in but that engine will run longer on less fuel with more power than any engine we have seen up until the SISU engines.  BUT they required proper care, I still buy every DA tractor or Gleaner Combine I can for resale and they do have a strong following here in Southern Ohio at least
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 6:38pm
Around here Allis customers did buy green tractors but it was John Deere green. Allis Chalmers was well represented in these parts before Deutz bought the company. I really felt bad for our dealer after the sale. If they hadn't been a New Holland and other short line dealer they would have starved to death. The Deutz tractor was not competitive in the North American market. They took a very good tractor line and discontinued it for an inferior product. In my opinion AGCO has never been able to recover from what Deutz did. Simply arrogance that backed fired in their face.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 6:49pm
That's very true and agree with that , I remember going to Bocktings open house on Deutz Allis tractors , and thought WTF, coarse I was a kid but the Summer Green paint and Deutz tractor with just the Allis name was a huge let down; then my uncle won 20 hrs of use of a 6275 Deutz from Weber Equipment and we put it on the chisel plow and worked it good, and it done a great job ,,, that engine and the gearing seemed better than the 170,, but still it wasn't an ALLIS CHALMERS , I always thought Deutz would be wise to just put their engines in AC tractors but the guys at the top of KHD prolly just laughed at that idea 

Edited by DougG - 25 Jan 2017 at 6:55pm
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 6:50pm
My cousin's son just down the road here got one of them green air cooled jobbers! thanks; ac fleet
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 8:00pm
We never had to worry about buying anything new enough back then to have to consider switching to that putrid green. Matter of fact our newest tractor we have now is a 1984. They all still do exactly what the new ones do and their paid for. I probably will never own a new tractor.
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 8:13pm
Duetz Allis was never that popular around here. AC was a strong brand in the area, but once AC was gone for good, CIH and Deere took off. If Duetz-Allis had just put there name on the tractor, but kept the colors the same, think they would have been fine. Going from the AC 8000 series to the 9100 series was a step backwards, if anything they should have put the AC 8000 series cab on the DA 9100 series tractor, modernized it a bit for the later 1980's and early 90's. Might have helped them out a bit.

Jason
Tkotiger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tkotiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 2:42pm
Have a 1986 Deutz-Allis 6265. Brakes went out on me. Local MF dealer has a 2-month
backlog of work... he suggested that the" crossover valve" may just be clogged. Owner's manual not very helpful. Any idea where I can find this?
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 9:46pm
Didn't like working on the Deutz, but you could sell one and forget it, because they would stay out there and work. Wasn't the same when MF came along. Didn't forget the MF, they would be back in for warranty work, some a lot of times.    MACK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic