This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deuce Dually Dump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 6:08am
John,
 Thanks! Well right now you guys know just about as much as I do about it. 
Anyone have magic cleaning methods of old iron other than soap and water?? 
How is the WD coming along?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 11:27pm
Folks,
The 32 is home!

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 5:50am
Looks even better in the daylight. A great find IMO
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 7:23am
     x2. Sure would look good as an original survivor. Interesting that it has a PTO driven hyd. pump in that era. An uncle of mine had a dump trailer that was the back half of an old truck and I thought he told me it was from the mid thirties. Anyway it had a gearbox and crank that dumped the body as it drove a big arc with gear teeth under the body. Dad used it a few times to haul gravel for the barn floor and "let" me crank it. I thought he was doing me a favor at the time.  Can't wait to see your progress. Seems like the most recent treasure gets the first work a lot of times. Good luck.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

John,
 Thanks! Well right now you guys know just about as much as I do about it. 
Anyone have magic cleaning methods of old iron other than soap and water?? 
How is the WD coming along?
Regards,
 Chris

Slowly! I keep running into other things that are more urgent, like the garden at the moment. I have been collecting parts and hope to get some time spent on it this weekend.

That is just one sweet truck. I will be following as the rough looking CA I picked up needs the hood cleaned but the rest is not too bad, and I'd like to not have to paint it.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 1:17pm
Sure does look good for its age
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 1:24pm
I was looking again and noticed how large today's pickups are compared to the "big truck " '32 on the trailer.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 1:38pm
You might try a small spot with Simple Green.  That stuff is pretty aggressive but don't usually harm the paint.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

I was looking again and noticed how large today's pickups are compared to the "big truck " '32 on the trailer.

Yes this is about 16 feet x 80 inches across the duals.
Not a big truck.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

You might try a small spot with Simple Green.  That stuff is pretty aggressive but don't usually harm the paint.

John,
 Thanks might try that Simple Green as a cleaner!
Regards,
 Chris
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 7:10pm
Those 750x20 tires are still being made. Most made in China now. Be sure and get new tubes and make sure you get new flaps with the tires. Take a good wire brush on a drill or air grinder and clean up the rings and groves in the rims. I'd love to mount them for you on a cool day. My old supplier is out of the tires, when that happens they take the price down so I cannot get you a current price for the tires. Good luck with the old gal. I'd pull the box and make things a lot easier to get too.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 8:35pm
Just out of curiosity, do the sell disk brake conversion for something like that?  I know they do for lot's of old cars.  Get your mask on, those look like real asbestos shoes.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 5:06am
Brake Shoes and Clutch discs are not and have never been considered 'Friable Asbestos' where is a component part of the materials but is 'locked in a submatrix of cemented fibrous material'.  That comes directly from EPA.

Would not even consider changing to modern anything as that truck is pretty well a prize buyers delight being OEM and pretty well intact.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:24am
Folks,
I dont know what i dont know yet on this deuce! I did some rework on brake mechanical parts on the right front end. 
Working on the rear fight now. Ok got the lug nuts off, realized that there are large studs ove small studs that hold the inside rim on the drum. (Sorry I just dont work on these and am still learning).  Of course one of the studs turned off with the nut. But I got it apart after the wheel was off.
Now to figure out how the drum comes off the keyed axle. Maybe its just tight? I turned the brake adjuster to release the brake shoes. Broke my low cost puller. Humm back to research on these. My guess is its just stuck from 70 years of setting waiting!

Ignition:

Need door striker for drivers side. Going to Snyders Friday so thay may have one ??
Going to pick up new seat springs. Goofy since I havent even started it yet!
Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:36am
Chris, I finally made it home yesterday, didn't have the password to post on my I pad, so could only read.  Thank you so much for taking the time to show us your toys and y(our) shop!  All three of us were really impressed, even Jimmy who is not easy to impress.  Between the interior of the shop and the Duce, looks like you will have enough to keep you busy the rest of the summer!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Folks,
I dont know what i dont know yet on this deuce! I did some rework on brake mechanical parts on the right front end. 
Working on the rear fight now. Ok got the lug nuts off, realized that there are large studs ove small studs that hold the inside rim on the drum. (Sorry I just dont work on these and am still learning).  Of course one of the studs turned off with the nut. But I got it apart after the wheel was off.
Now to figure out how the drum comes off the keyed axle. Maybe its just tight? I turned the brake adjuster to release the brake shoes. Broke my low cost puller. Humm back to research on these. My guess is its just stuck from 70 years of setting waiting!

Ignition:

Need door striker for drivers side. Going to Snyders Friday so thay may have one ??
Going to pick up new seat springs. Goofy since I havent even started it yet!
Regards,
 Chris

Re the duallies, yes, pretty much standard wheel set up. When you put it back together, a nice thick coat of never-sieze makes the job easier, next time.  Remember you have 5 pieces of metal coming together, there...Do fords have LH threads on the left side lug nuts?
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:45pm
@Sugarmaker; Wow! You're making me rethink ever retiring as I think I get more sleep working than you do retired. LOL! Seriously, I am really enjoying this thread (as I do all of your threads).
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:46pm
@DiyDave; I think that all Budd type wheels are right hand thread passenger side, left hand thread drivers side.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:41pm
Folks,
 Yes these are left hand threads on the lug nuts on the left hand side of the truck. trying to get a stout puller for the rear drums. Borrowed one from a friend will try to get the drums off this weekend.

Repaired and reworked this shift lever and added over size pin. Very similar to a WD shifter!
Before:
After:

I think I used a 17/64 dia drill that I used for the hole and the pin. A lot less wobble in the shifter. I think socket is worn deeper just like a WD series too. I did not weld the ball on the truck shifter (yet).
Sticks just a luttle going from second to third. Have to pull the shifter up just a little in neutral.
This spare wheel well is rusted:

Also the passengers side door. Probably had pluged drain holes??

Regards,
 Chris

JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:48pm
@Sugarmaker; Are the outer hex nuts 1-1/2" and the inner "barrel" nuts 13/16" square head?
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:35pm
If you can get to the brake adjuster hole, you could try adjusting the bakes all of the way in to get the drum off.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 2:13pm
The spark plugs look brand new
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 3:01pm
Joihn, tadams,
These have a external wrenching feature for loosening the brake shoes. It is one of Ford's better ideas!
Those are new plugs from NAPA. I would like to use the 70 year old plugs. 
Got the rear passenger side drum off:

Rebuilt shift lever ball and slot. Just like a WD series tractor!

Over on the Ford barn for this project!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 18 Jun 2021 at 3:04pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 12:31pm
  Slow and steady and you will have it purring again
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 6:06am
t, folks,
 Yes we can not rush this a lot. Aging like a fine wine, we must sip and savor it!
Have to find seals for the rear brake drums. Wish me luck. Brakes all look to be in really good shape!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 7:27am
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

Chris, I finally made it home yesterday, didn't have the password to post on my I pad, so could only read.  Thank you so much for taking the time to show us your toys and y(our) shop!  All three of us were really impressed, even Jimmy who is not easy to impress.  Between the interior of the shop and the Duce, looks like you will have enough to keep you busy the rest of the summer!

John,
Sure was great to have you and your friends visit!
Stop in any time your back this way!

Folks,
Status up date on the 32.
Wheels are almost done. Tire shop took the old tires off. In the process the lock rings got stretched. I worked these back into shape. Cleaned the tire portion of the rims, needle scaler, air hammer, light grinding, wire brushing, and the a good coat of Rust-Oleum 2X flat black primer. Exterior of wheels was left alone.
Have the 7 new Firestone 6.00-20 tires, new tubes and flaps. Ready for install next Tuesday at tire shop with a cage.
Brakes drums removed and right front needed taken apart and repaired. Rear drums needed new grease seals. Done.
Regards,
Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 8:46am
  Sounds like progress is being made despite the hot weather.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 9:42am
Nice to see you are making progress. I say wise move leaving wheel exteriors as is.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 12:14pm
I'm coming on this post pretty late, but I can tell ya Chris, you're gonna have a ball with that truck!!  I had two 29' closed cab AA's over the years. One was 131.5" WB, and the other was a 157" WB. Both AA's had rack bodies on them. Finding a double B is even cooler!  Keep them pics comin' like you usually do. Like I said, you're gunna' have a lot of fun with that bugger!  Congrat's!!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 6:23am
T, plummer, Steve, Folks,
Most of my documentation is over on the Ford Bard Forum. 
Some teasers:

Great grandson Cooper:, He gave me a big hug when helping drain the oil yesterday.
Have to get this running soon!

Seat material color

Will pick up a set of custom springs from Snyder's today. These are their standard version.

Dang still holds water!!

Underside of rad cap, says EATON. These caps are like hens teeth. 110,000 made, very few left out there! Mine has some dents but some guys have bought whole trucks to get a radiator cap!

Drained 2 gallons of very clear odd smelling stuff from the gas tank last night. Have a shut valve to clean out on the tank bottom. 
Have crank case filled with some kerosene to soak for a day.
May pull the head, and carb, and side cover on engine. I hate to pull the engine, its a very slippery slope!:)
Regards,
 Chri

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Jul 2021 at 6:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic