This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delivered this today:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delivered this today:
    Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 6:52pm
Brand new Gleaner 30' Draper head for an S68 combine:

At delivery, the guy really liked the brand new head cart the head had been setting on, and now had his trade set upon so while I was securing his trade in draper head, he was on the phone purchasing this cart. Told me he wouldn't trust his old cart loaded as far as I'd come, (about 180 miles) so he'll run down with his trade in and bring this one back with him.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 7:08pm
That was quite a ways to deliver a head. What kind of speed can you safely run at?
Why are the rear drive tires on the combine facing opposite of the main drive tires? I’ve seen that before but never asked.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 7:58pm
That was a bit of a jaunt. The trade in head was also purchased here and delivered there when new. I think the combine was also as the relationship goes back more than the current generation.

I'll ask about the tires as I really don't know either. Have seen the same direction, and opposed several times but never asked. I didn't load the new head going up but I could easily run 40mph with good stability. 43mph and she started to sway, and 50mph was white knuckles time. I loaded the trade in head a bit more forward placing more weight onto the steering axle of the cart and gained about 5mph overall. At 53mph it was really swaying badly but 50mph was easily manageable so that is where I returned at.

Driving up I was kinda laying out in my head a temporary bolt on sway control but not sure how often something like that would be used. Not a lot to it but I don't know how many heads they sell as most are local and the purchasers usually pick them up. I've picked up and delivered several but with exception of this one, it's always been on the gooseneck trailer as a forklift available at both ends for loading, and unloading.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 9:34pm
It's not RWA so the tires are reversed to get better traction for steering in soft/muddy conditions. The "drag" on the tire mimics what a pulling tire is doing. Having them face the other way only loads tread with mud. Codger you could lengthen the tounge if it's an option the help with the swaying.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 09 Aug 2023 at 9:37pm
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 9:49pm
Thanks for the explanation Steve, makes sense. Didn’t realize it wasn’t RWA.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 10:29pm
RWA's have a big ole planetary hub sticking through wheel.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 7:35am
Lengthening the tongue would certainly help as it would place the articulation further rearward. I've done stabilizers on wagons in the past to help with the sway and a couple of good heavy truck steering stabilizers and some minor weldments allowing to pull them very close together in a train type fashion rather expeditiously. One guy tells me this has shortened his transport time with a wagon train considerably. I don't think these folks would allow this to be done citing the amount of usage it would get. 

They won't purchase a DOT rated cart that would go down the road at highway speed as that idea has been pushed several times; I'm told.
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 9:57am
If they told me to tow that 180 miles and back, I would have only one thing to say, Do it yourself. That's what trucks and trailers are for.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 10:26am
I do a lot of oversize loads consistent. Nothing overweight, just oversize. This was easy in the grand scheme so really thought nothing of it. 

Here is an auger I delivered almost to Kentucky from west of Peoria last year. It was 12'4" wide at the outside of the wheels:

Edited by Codger - 10 Aug 2023 at 10:27am
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

I do a lot of oversize loads consistent. Nothing overweight, just oversize. This was easy in the grand scheme so really thought nothing of it. 

Here is an auger I delivered almost to Kentucky from west of Peoria last year. It was 12'4" wide at the outside of the wheels:

Going to Michigan anytime soon? I got a rock box that needs a ride my way. Should fit in the back of a pickup.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 6:57pm
I get up to Michigan every now and then on dealer transfer tractors. I'll inquire if they have anything in the works as always have additional room. They would appreciate the cost offset I'm sure.

Here is another Gleaner with the steering tires opposite the drives. I asked the owner as he was dropping it off for service and he tells me the traction is much better, (as Steve noted) than if they match the drives. I meant to ask if he meant with the head elevated, or actually harvesting crops but didn't get the opportunity. 

Edited by Codger - 10 Aug 2023 at 6:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic