This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delco Distributor Lubricator/Wick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delco Distributor Lubricator/Wick
    Posted: 10 Aug 2024 at 9:43pm
The distributor on my WD is missing the wick/wick holder, and the cap seal that goes into the plastic cover. Has anyone found a source for these, or am I stuck robbing from another distributor? The distributor seems to be in decent shape with no side-side play in the shaft, just a little end play. It's also missing the small piece of felt in the end of the shaft, but I can at least make that.

Here's a picture of the parts marked in a CA distributor, for reference.

1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2024 at 4:17am
some points sets have the lubricator attached to the points arm.  those that do usually come with a capsule of lube...
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2024 at 5:34am
The distributor dust cover are readily available. Check with whoever you buy your AC parts from. They should have them.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2024 at 7:30am
As I put a Petronix electronic conversion in everything I have, I have a bunch of those wicks around. PM me with you mailing address and I'll send you one. Be Careful and DO NOT over oil it or you'll oil soak your points. Why not just put the conversion in and be done with it as the quality of available points and condensers has gone to crap.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2024 at 8:53am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

some points sets have the lubricator attached to the points arm.  those that do usually come with a capsule of lube...

The design of these doesn't hold the wick that way, but I do know what you're talking about on some other mags/distributors.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2024 at 8:54am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

The distributor dust cover are readily available. Check with whoever you buy your AC parts from. They should have them.

You think a new dust cover would come with the gasket installed? AGCO offers the dust cover, and I can get those from other sources of course, but I wasn't clear if they came with the gasket. AGCO and nobody else seem to offer the gasket as a standalone part, at least.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2024 at 9:44am
You're not going to find the seal by itself. Not all new covers are created equal. Some new covers don't have the seal. The better quality ones do. If your dust cover is in good shape and not cracked, give the seal a little spritz of WD 40 or Tri-flow to make the seal a little more pliable again and it should be fine. 

As for the points, as Dave mentioned, some aftermarket points like the SMP Blue Streak points that I carry come with the wick on them already, and a dab of cam lube is all ya need. I believe the Echlin brand that Napa sells also has the wick built right on it. Watch some of that Chinese crap....
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2024 at 10:33am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

As I put a Petronix electronic conversion in everything I have, I have a bunch of those wicks around. PM me with you mailing address and I'll send you one. Be Careful and DO NOT over oil it or you'll oil soak your points. Why not just put the conversion in and be done with it as the quality of available points and condensers has gone to crap.

Thank you sir. I will have a PM headed your way in a minute.

The Petronix kits have held up well for you over the years? I have a certain older British car and the Petronix systems seem to be hit or miss as far as how long they last for those guys.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2024 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

You're not going to find the seal by itself. Not all new covers are created equal. Some new covers don't have the seal. The better quality ones do. If your dust cover is in good shape and not cracked, give the seal a little spritz of WD 40 or Tri-flow to make the seal a little more pliable again and it should be fine. 

As for the points, as Dave mentioned, some aftermarket points like the SMP Blue Streak points that I carry come with the wick on them already, and a dab of cam lube is all ya need. I believe the Echlin brand that Napa sells also has the wick built right on it. Watch some of that Chinese crap....
Steve@B&B

Thanks Steve. I wonder if someone put a new cheaper cover on it. The seal on the cover for this WD is not present at all, but the clips hold the cap + dust cover down fairly tightly. It just wasn't sealing somewhere because there was a fair amount of powdery rust on everything inside when I tore it down. I can check out a new cover at my AGCO dealer before I buy and see if the seal is included or not ($40 for the cover there).

I do have AGCO points on order but I don't figure they will come with the wick holder built in. TBD. Thank you for letting me know there is another option that does give you the wick holder built into the points. Surprised Delco didn't do that sooner since it would've been cheaper, less parts, and easier to assemble. I shouldn't complain about stuff that has been working for 70+ years though!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2024 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by wjohn wjohn wrote:

Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Thank you sir. I will have a PM headed your way in a minute.

The Petronix kits have held up well for you over the years? I have a certain older British car and the Petronix systems seem to be hit or miss as far as how long they last for those guys.
 I fist got a Petronix Ignition conversion well over 30 years ago, it and every one I've ever gotten for myself or installed for others is still working fine. I've never experienced one to go bad. I have however, read of others that have installed them without suppression wires (after some change in production) that have had issues.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2024 at 7:50pm
Wow!  There's a homerun!  Ours with the seal is $26. That rusty lookin' powder in there is probably ozone from the points and the center carbon the rotor rides on. A little TV tuner cleaner or Brakekleen will clean that right up on a rag. Check to make sure the center carbon on the high tension tower is in good shape. Sometimes the tower terminals look okay, but the center carbon isn't. Replace the cap if it looks nasty. Inspect the rotor button as well.

As Paul mentioned the E.I.'s work pretty nice. We sell a boat load of them things to customers for all different kinds of applications. I had a 6V unit in my B for 19 years. Fired off everytime. And the ole' girl sits outside under her tarp... Have one in the wife's 55 T-Bird, one in the WF, one in the 26T Coupe, and one in the 31' Victoria.  No troubles yet!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2024 at 5:01am
Steve;

Don't mean to cabbage a thread but I'd like to replace the points in my flathead six B-427 Continental engine distributor. I have an NOS Delco distributor to replace the existing, but from looking online the needed unit is different than other Delco distributors; or at least Pertronix doesn't list the unit needed? Would you be able to point me correctly?

Thx
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 9:06am
Rob,
For the Continental engines, the "F" series Forklift engines were the only ones that I know of that had the Delco Distributors. The rest of the Continental engines like the B,E,K,R, etc either came with Autolite or Prestolite Distributors. Also you have to watch the drive gears are different sometimes too. What's the Delco Distributor number you have?
Steve@B&B
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 11:03am
Thanks Steve, I will look this afternoon. I'm thinking the original installed distributor is "PrestoLite" but I'll verify.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 8:47pm
Yes, the original distributor is "Prestolite" shown here:

1962 Worthington portable air compressor:

Distributor purchased near the same time as the compressor back in 74:

Edited by Codger - 13 Aug 2024 at 8:49pm
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 2:44pm
Getting this thread back on track - huge thanks to PaulB for sending the wicks/holders.

I also got lucky at my AGCO dealership and they had a couple of dust cover seals left in stock in an original tube from the 80s or 90s, so I picked up some extras for the future. They confirmed that AGCO quit offering them years ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic