This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deere Chopper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deere Chopper
    Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 12:55pm
Sorry to mix Green and Orange here, but I know somebody on here has or had a Deere chopper, and don't remember who it was.....

I have a JD 3950 chopper.  I "almost" love it.  After having a Ford, Hesston, numerous New Hollands, this is my first Deere.  It is great in so many ways.  We had sorghum sudangrass 14 feet tall and thick this year, and the Allis 7045 was humming a beautiful song in harmony with that chopper just spewing it out.

The romance ends at the corn head.  That SOB just does not feed worth a crap.  It cuts it fine, and brings it up toward the feed rolls, but it stops just short of getting pulled in.  It seems from the best I can see, that it's the outside row that falls over, catches a crack or something, then just piles up.  Never shears pins or slips a clutch or anything, just sits there not going anywhere and you have to get off and help it in and then it'll go.  Fortunately it will take a helluva slug with no issue, but it sure gets old having to get off all the time.  Especially for poor 84 year old dad, who would love to help and was nice to park him in the tractor and let him drive, but instead he's off and on all the time, and that ain't exactly safe let alone desirable.

Sorry for the rant. . . .just a bit ticked....So to anyone who's ever ran one of these, did you have similar trouble and were you ever able to find anything that helped?  

There was an optional "Row Trak" attachment that kept the head centered on the rows.  I think that would help, since when you're driving absolutely perfect it seems it does better.  I'm trying to track down the parts for that as a retrofit.  

Any thoughts or help appreciated.  Thanks.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 11:20pm
like switching head brands on combines, can you do that on the choppers? 
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 7:19am
Does it matter what height you set the head at? Was running a Hesston one year with the head almost all the way up. At that angle the stalks wouldn't hit the rolls right and feed in. Lowered a couple inches and it did fine.

Anything rusted or have a small hole that the stalks are catching on?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Does it matter what height you set the head at? Was running a Hesston one year with the head almost all the way up. At that angle the stalks wouldn't hit the rolls right and feed in. Lowered a couple inches and it did fine.

Anything rusted or have a small hole that the stalks are catching on?
Funny you mention that, I was running it, and put the head up some, and I thought it helped so I reasoned to myself that there was less of a hill to climb so it worked better.  Yesterday, dad was running it, he said he lowered it and it helped some!  So, IDK, just random  I think?  

There is a space between the header and rolls, it's how it's made.  We were talking about screwing a hunk of sheet metal or belting or something there to block it off.  We also talked about coating the area with that spray on graphite to make it slick.  It's crazy, it really is in nice condition.  I think something stupid is going on.....I was watching Youtube videos yesterday of people just hauling the mail with those choppers, they really do seam to get high regard.  Talked to the guy I bought it from yesterday, he said check the "smooth roll".  Which , I will, but I don't see how that's the problem because it seems like the corn doesn't make it that far.  
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 7:36am
You mentioned Hesston....we had a 2000-100.  That was the smoothest steadiest feeding chopper I ever used.  I don't see how a chopper could feed smoother than that one.  No cross auger either, but also not a "cut-and-throw", the chopping drum dumped straight into the blower.  Really really loved that chopper, header wore out is why it got retired.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 7:52am
I know what you mean, The Hesston was a nice chopper but hard to get parts for now. Blower was good like you said, but a custom hitch was made for this one long ago to try to get the spout closer to the wagon center. Then if it got real wet it didn't want to pull straight. It ran forever with few problems.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 8:09am
I remember the spout "off center"!  Forgot about that.  I was able to just reverse the mounting of mine, which helped tremendously.  Like you said, wet or hillsides wouldn't pull straight, but all of mine have done that.  I figured the tandem axle choppers would help that issue, but have never had one that big.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 11:01am
TBone, Just listening to your post, I wonder if attaching some thin (1/8') poly sheeting over any existing header parts could aid in the corn's feeding? Also, maybe your 3950's feed roller is worn out? Is the feed roller part of it's head or part of it's main chopper unit?  Anyway, I found this 2017 Yesterdays weblink that discusses swapping a NH head onto a JD 3950. It list a telephone number for Chopper Shop in Colby, WI that deals with choppers. Hope it helps with your frustrating/dangerous endeavor? Stay safe!
tomstractorsandtoys View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 11:18am
did you buy the base machine and the head together? I have always ran green choppers and have never had the issue you are refering to. On a head that is used on a 3940-3950 there is a triangle filler plate on each side of the corn head chaneling corn to the feed rolls. 3960-3970 and older machines do not have or need this. You could have an older head or head off a wider chopper. This would let stalks catch on the sides. Are your belts in time and in good condition? How good and how close are the cut off knives on the head? I would set mine up so they would cut paper. All of the above make a difference when feeding. You can add homemade filler plates to the wider head or buy them from Deere. Is the up and down roll on the head turning? The Deere head does take a fair amount of upkeep to work great. I have a friend that put a New Holland 824 on his 3950 and if I still milked cows and chopped lots of acres I would consider that as well. Also a Deere wide row head does not like 36 inch rows real well. 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 11:35am
Tom, thank you.  By your description, I would say the triangular filler plates are there.  I bought the chopper and head from the same guy/ same time.  My understanding of these, the older units were yellow spout and yellow head?  I have a green head and was told that means it's newer.  And it is definitely a 30 inch head and 30 inch planted.  The spinner on the head is spinning.  Dad and I commented about why they only put a spinner on the outboard side, maybe one inboard would be helping as it's always the place where the corn piles up.  

The belts aren't perfect, but I thought were serviceable.  In time, one's rise should be in the other's valley, correct?

I believe the cut off knives are good.  I don't have a book for the head.....is there a clearance spec I can check?  Cutting paper must only be a couple thousandths, or even "0".  No issues cutting, it seems it "falls over" before it gets to the rolls, then it doesn't go on in.  

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 11:45am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:01pm
You have the right head for your chopper. I just went out to the shed and looked at mine. 3940 with a green 2 row wide head. There is a flat piece of metal that extends behind the back of the belts that is to chanel the stalk to the rolls. Is this there? Is is bent or twisted? I just saw that mine is bent up and that could be a place for stalks to hang up. My belts are bad so my head needs to spend some time in the shop this winter. Tom
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:17pm
Thank you again Tom.  This flat metal.....would I see that best from underneath or on top?  I just got this chopper last year, nearly done with corn when I did because my NH finally died it's last death.  So not super familiar yet.  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:38pm
You will see it from the top. I think it is part of the wear strip that bolts in behind the belts. It almost touches the lower feed roll. If this would be bent or missing stalks might jam up. Hope this helps as I am going to be away for awhile. Tom
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:48pm
I will certainly take a look.  Thank you again Tom.

By the way, do you have the row trak on yours?
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 6:43pm
  Shouldnt that flat piece of steel in the middle of the rows be on top of the shorter one right in front of the top roller, ya know so the corn slides in and doesnt catch??????

Your belts look in excellent shape to me.

Edited by NEVER green - 07 Oct 2021 at 6:45pm
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 9:15am
Originally posted by NEVER green NEVER green wrote:

Shouldnt that flat piece of steel in the middle of the rows be on top of the shorter one right in front of the top roller, ya know so the corn slides in and doesnt catch??????

Your belts look in excellent shape to me.
Ya, I thought the belts looked good.

As for that piece, I see what you're saying, it should be more sort of a shingle effect.  I can confirm this is the way it was when I got it.  I'd have to go look, but seems to me the similar piece on my NH with 824 head is the same as this.  I think it helps hold that big piece in place better, since there's 4 bolts in close proximity.  
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 9:22am
Originally posted by tomstractorsandtoys tomstractorsandtoys wrote:

You will see it from the top. I think it is part of the wear strip that bolts in behind the belts. It almost touches the lower feed roll. If this would be bent or missing stalks might jam up. Hope this helps as I am going to be away for awhile. Tom
Tom, I think you called it!
I think you are talking about this piece, outboard photo:

And wouldn't you know it, inboard photo:

There's a piece missing and an open bolt hole!  

Makes sense to me.  The guy I bought it from insisted it's the smooth roll, but in my mind the issue occurred before it got there, and after the cutting knives, and this would explain it.  Also, chopper worked amazing in the sorghum with pickup head, no feeding issues at all, so a corn head issue makes sense.  We'll be fixing this and see what happens.

Tom, steaks and pops of your choice on my deck if you ever swing through Michigan. (especially if this works!WinkLOL)
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 4:26pm
Glad I could help otherwise you might get rid of a good chopper and assume Deere choppers are no good. You made mention of having a NH 824 head. I would check into getting the bracket to put that on your Deere chopper. The Deere chopper is very good but with the Deere corn you need to really stay on the row good. Friend did it to his 3950 and says he would never go back to a Deere head. He did say in extreme down corn the Deere head might get under it a little better. I only chop a few acres now for the beef steers but if I ever find a steal of a deal on an 824 I plan to do it as well. Tom
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by tomstractorsandtoys tomstractorsandtoys wrote:

Glad I could help otherwise you might get rid of a good chopper and assume Deere choppers are no good. You made mention of having a NH 824 head. I would check into getting the bracket to put that on your Deere chopper. The Deere chopper is very good but with the Deere corn you need to really stay on the row good. Friend did it to his 3950 and says he would never go back to a Deere head. He did say in extreme down corn the Deere head might get under it a little better. I only chop a few acres now for the beef steers but if I ever find a steal of a deal on an 824 I plan to do it as well. Tom

Tom, I wouldn’t waste my time on THAT 824 head, it is done for!
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:48am

What I ha ve seen is the corn falls out of the Deer belts and lays there while you dont have that issue with the NH 824.

Good luck with Toms cure.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by NEVER green NEVER green wrote:

What I ha ve seen is the corn falls out of the Deer belts and lays there while you dont have that issue with the NH 824.

Good luck with Toms cure.

What I meant by my post, is my 824 head is worn out junk in many other ways. It worked good when it was good, but those days are gone. Maybe some day I’d get one, but prefer to try and get this one working for now.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 9:15am
*UPDATE*
Once I put in that little piece of steel last year based on Tom's advice, the rains came in and we never chopped another stalk of corn. 

Fast forward to this year, and we're off and running.  Boy, what a difference a stupid little 1.5 x 3 inch piece of steel can make.  The dealer didn't have that specific part, said, "Boy.  That looks just like a part for a planter."  So he gave us that part, and it fit right on with no mods.  We have been using the chopper this year, and dear old dad, now 85, has not had to get off the tractor once for a header feeding issue!  WOOHOO!!!

Tom, again, steaks and pops of your choice if ya' ever swing through Michigan!!! Thanks to all who replied last year.

BTW.  Sharpened the knives and set clearance, and the 7045 doesn't hardly know it's there.  Well, the crop sucks this year too, but even in the tall stuff she runs like a top.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 2:57pm
Glad it's working good this year Tbone. We started chopping last weekend too. It will be the last year for the old Hesston. Nothing lest of the knives and no parts available
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 4:38pm
If you ever decide you want a different head, take a look at one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86PeCeR6zqg

There are some good used ones out there, they feed like a dream, and when you open up the field, or break through, when you come back to pickup the rows driven over, you won't be able to tell which rows were driven over, it just cleans it up.

Edited by bigal121892 - 26 Sep 2022 at 4:50pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 6:39am
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Glad it's working good this year Tbone. We started chopping last weekend too. It will be the last year for the old Hesston. Nothing lest of the knives and no parts available
The circular cutting knives or cylinder knives?  My Hesston head is pretty much junk, but might be a few acres left on the circle knives.  My cylinder knives should have a lot of life left in 'em.  We could work out something very cheap if you were interested, you're not "that" far away.  There comes a time when you need another chopper, I get that.  Just let me know.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 6:50am
Originally posted by bigal121892 bigal121892 wrote:

If you ever decide you want a different head, take a look at one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86PeCeR6zqg

There are some good used ones out there, they feed like a dream, and when you open up the field, or break through, when you come back to pickup the rows driven over, you won't be able to tell which rows were driven over, it just cleans it up.
Nice, thank you!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 8:33am
Thanks Tbone, We already got a spare New Holland ready to go. This is a 7155 wiht the C shaped knives.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:02am
Good to  hear that it was just a missing strip of metal... I might have tried some heavy plastic in there just in case it thought about getting loose and going through the knives.
 Glad to hear your dad is out and about and still able to do things like that.
 Had the old 2 row NH head  on a 717 super and it would feed good and then suddenly it wouldn't feed and have to back it up and forward it time or two and then it would go through... funny, one day I didn't have that issue anymore... somebody thought they needed it worse than I did. Had to go buy another chopper.Angry  That was some twenty years ago.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:38pm
Glad I could help. My silage corn was planter after small grain silage so it might be Thanksgiving until mine is ready to chop. Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic