This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Decal removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K bockting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decal removal
    Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 6:45am
I have a new set of decals from Maple Hunter for my 6060. what is the best way to remove the old flaking decals?
Fiberglass and paint are good on hood sides. Thanks
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 6:50am
Heat gun (or hair dryer that isn't as hot as a heat gun), being very careful not to overheat.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 7:02am
Yup! I wit' Curt on that one. When we used to remove decals from our power and light trucks for retirement, we used heat guns on low heat. We also had this cool round eraser type of thing that you could put in a hand drill and it would remove the left over adhesive without hurting the paint. I don't remember if it was Rolox that made them things or who, but they worked great.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 7:27am
I've used a rubber wheel on the end of a drill to "rub" the old decals off. No damage to the paint whatsoever, but a slow process for sure. Can't tell you where to buy one but that's what it is made for. Like an eraser on a pencil.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 7:36am
I have a friend that owns a body shop. I've seen him finish up removing decals with a chemical (probably rubbing compound). He works with paint all the time. I, personally, wouldn't attempt chemicals. I could do a lot of damage quickly!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 7:39am
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 9:20am
I’ve used VM and naphtha paint thinner…
It with rubbing it will eat the glue.
It’s recommended to wear gloves but make sure they are Chemical save because it will eat gloves if theyre not.
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 9:26am
Yup. That's the erasing wheel I used. On a 170 those 6 ft long 55 yr old hood decals took quite a while to erase, but the paint was not hurt one bit when I got done with them.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 10:25am
Use a segmented wheel as they run much cooler during use. I have a dedicated tool for this purpose. The electric drill types will make your wrists and forearms sore.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 11:31am
I've used 3M adhesive remover to clean up the sticky stuff after the decal is off
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 12:34pm
I have used the drill wheel eraser that WF shows above.. Slow on decals , but works good... Also used on pickup truck that we pulled the EMBLEMS off and needed to get the double sided tape / glue off... Worked great on that.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 9:01am
I also use a heat gun and on low heat. Don’t leave it directly on the decal, slowly wave it over the decal and test peeling it off. Be careful as the decal becomes soft and hot to touch. A small bond plastic scrapper works well to get it loose and then peel off.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 9:09am

Residual adhesive may just smear under heat.
Test removal of it with water, alcohol, light oil, and goof off type of chemicals.
Go from least to more harsh that way.

I play and buy/sell used guitars, many teens slap stickers on them and sell the old hobby gear a decade or more later. That's the steps I go through. Guitars are painted with automotive (and tractor) paints.

Edited by jvin248 - 11 Nov 2023 at 9:13am
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 7:51am
I have basically this tool; different brand but very similar using the type wheel shown. It leaves a very clean surface with rubber grindings that are easily cleaned up. Used to do a lot of school busses, semi trailers, etc. with this tool and they do a very good job. Wheels were purchased by the case and about $10.00 each 15 years ago so can't answer for now. "Wurth" was the brand of mine and I preferred their branded wheels. I've used many differing brands in the shop, but theirs were the best at the time. 

Residue easily cleaned up with mineral spirits. Seldom was any paint damage incurred but the shiny mylar backed or chrome face decals did take some time to work with as they rejected the heat needed to release the bond. Get too forceful and the paint would burn. Very little panel pressure required with this setup where the eraser wheel in a drill is quite the opposite. 

A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 4:26pm
Yup! Like the Doc said. Looks like the wheel we used also.......
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 6:44am
I'll admit the process was sloooow going on those long one-hundred series hood decals, but I was very pleased with the results, as my paint wasn't harmed one bit, and that was the goal.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 8:08am
For us at the power co. we got paid by the hour, so it didn't matter to us how long it took as long as we didn't ruin the paint. LOL!  Wink

coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 1:46pm
Yup, the wheels Doc used I have used many times for decals, pin stripe and double sided tape removal.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic