This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DeadBeats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 1:05am
i don't gets mad...i gets even!!
Sponsored Links

Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 3:41am
I don't get even....I get ahead!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 5:30am
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

"would countersue for legal expense. " Don't think you can when dealing in small claims court.

I was talking about if the customer sued me. That wouldnt be in small claims...

But amen on the rest of what you said...
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 11:00am
Until you have actually been sued, it is great fun to think about how easy the process is...

Well, I'm there, and can tell you it is not fun, or cheap, or productive....

I am STILL involved in a lawsuit, where the open claim toward me is TRESPASS. I was with a Realtor, looking at a home to purchase.

This has gone on for over 8 years, and has cost me over $12,000 in legal defense costs.

The plaintiffs knew to file at the bitter end of the statute of limitations, by time I was served papers, my time limit to countersue had expired by a couple weeks. Any counterclaim I would have made would have been a waste of my money.

There are a number of other defendants in my case, with various claims from Invasion of Privacy to Defamation, etc. Through various motions, hearings, arguements, etc. we have whittled the case down to just a few elements. However ridiculous it is, a jury must decide issues of fact, so I am looking at another $5000-8000 to go to trial.

Assuming I win, I will have bragging rights to say that I was indeed innocent.

If I lose, it is likely to be a nominal award to the plaintiff of $1.

So, if I successfully defend myself, it will cost me up to $20,000. If I lose, it cost me up to $20,001.

I have not bought any parts from you, but I can tell you that avoiding a suit will pay for a hell of a lot of parts.  Get your money upfront, or absorb the risk. To do anything else is just foolish finances to satisfy your pride.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 11:22am
Yes the full deal is time consuming and costly. The debt I sold to collector was set for District Court, the people filed a claim in Small Claims Court against me, went to the hearing and told the Judge the matter was already on District Court Docket. His remark was not to tell him how to run his courtroom as he was well aware of how to meeter out justice in his court. Then he ruled against me and demander $5,000 in dammages be awarded to other party. My bill for services provided was also ruled by him to be a invalid claim and harrasment of these poor people.
  2 weeks later in District Court , this was thrown out as was invalid claim filed as a punitive measure to avoid payment of legal debt, immediate seisure of property to satisfy the debt now owed to the collection agency was imposed.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 11:31am
We have been in specialty poutlry equipment for more than 20 years, and in the end the only way that I could avoid the hassles of payment was to get the credit card machine, and ship on payment.  Most of the non payers have  a bit of a problem, as we are the only source for parts for our machinery, but even then, some just don't pay their bills.  The credit card system we got costs about 7 dollars a month,  and is resident on our computers, so not much overhead.  Works for us.

TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Reindeer Reindeer wrote:

We have been in specialty poutlry equipment for more than 20 years, and in the end the only way that I could avoid the hassles of payment was to get the credit card machine, and ship on payment.  Most of the non payers have  a bit of a problem, as we are the only source for parts for our machinery, but even then, some just don't pay their bills.  The credit card system we got costs about 7 dollars a month,  and is resident on our computers, so not much overhead.  Works for us.

$7 a month is not bad...whats the percent take? and who is your processor?
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 12:59pm

Good grief, I just went to look at our current arrangement, with Orbital.com, and although they have very little upfront costs, they are hitting us for about 11% on total sales, with a nasty list of fees.  Will be looking at options. 

Thanks for asking.....

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 1:21pm
OOPS... another can of worms just came to lite.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

OOPS... another can of worms just came to lite.

Sounds like Reindeer might be preparin a lawsuit! - - against whomever set him up w/ orbital LOL!
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 3:31pm

You do what you have to do within reason once you have become certain that these are not good folks who otherwise may have a problem.  I was a cop for 30 years and worked over half of that in state police investigations.  Some people are just flat out uncaring and take advantage of decent people.  

Anybody can be down on their luck and have an isssue oe two but you can CLEARLY tell the difference if you live in the real world.   It is scary to know how many people your court system has warrants on in your own county....these are mostly people that just disregard EVERY aspect of society and ignore court orders, court dates, investigations etc. and continue to take advantage of others.    Lot's of second generation freeloaders who believe cradle to grave rights of TAKE TAKE TAKE.     I made a career out of sticking up for right vs wrong and following through on behalf of victims.  The common thread among offenders, from murderers to burglars to check scammers is the unmitigated disregard for other people and society.  

If more decent people call Bull**** and follow up on inequity and justice when it is REALLY evident.....you not only stand up for right, protect yourself and others, but you may end someones criminal conduct early.    Trust me on this... most good folks like the vast majority of you have been blessed with not fully knowing what is out there.   

We have a saying....  opportunistic wolves,  Gods  sheep and watchful sheepdogs.... you decide.       I NEVER judge a man on half a story but your bark sounds right to me.     
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 4:35pm
101 in quoting prices of a product/ parts is to include unforeseen costs.

I have been quoting piece prices for manufacturing plastic parts for over 40 years.

I know that when figuring the cost of raw material for a part that my employees will (possibly) loose 5% over the total run. Therefore I increase the amount of material to be used by the 5%.  I also know that the price of that material could very well go up before I can get a price increase thru to my customer. I add 3% to the price of material used in the quote to cover this to make sure I am not packing my money in the boxes. I also know that from time to time I will have to go to the bank for money to cover late payment of invoices and have to add 5% to the total cost of the product.  Then I spend a lot of time praying that those extra costs do not exceed my quote because some times they do.  Like I just had to pay for shipping back from California and then back to the customer because one of my employees forgot to install bearings in all the wheels.
I can not let these types of things upset me. In the real world this stuff happens and there is nothing that will ever change it.  All that can be done is to try to keep those types of problems as small as you can.  No employee got chewed out and when they had to correct it they were upset that it happened.

In my business the real bad people are few and far between but buyers are not cutting you any slack either.

Point is if you are going to be in business you need to price some of the losses that will happen whether it be with crooks or not.

I don't mean to say not to report crooks and scam artists to the proper people. If a person has (proof) that a person is a scam artists then a  public notice would not be out of line.

Example: I bought a tractor from a fellow in NY state. On one of the boards a Detective from that area posted that he wanted any one that had purchased tractor parts and had not received them please contact him. He had started to take the tractor apart and sell the parts from the tractor I had bought. The detective called me and we set a time I would come to pick up the tractor and he would help load the tractor and try to find all the parts that would make the tractor as I purchased it. Different tractor parts had been sold in many states and never shipped.  A lot of the parts had been sold multiple times. The detective told me that the man had been arrested but nothing would be gained keeping him in jail when he had kids and a wife that needed him. The detective was working with everyone that had been scammed to get the parts or money back. The detective was sure the fellow had not started selling parts with the intention of scamming but some how did what he thought was a way to get food on the table. They found the man a job and he was having to make things right with everyone to keep out of jail. I can not say it was all that bad of an experience. The detective even offered to put me up for the night and feed me at his house or just have supper with him and his family. I didn't take him up on it as I needed to get back to the plant.    I learned a lot about people thru the dealings with this person and the people that were helping him out of the hole.  Those that do not believe in cutting people any slack miss a lot of joy. I feel sorry for you for all you miss.  

Edited by Dick L - 16 Dec 2010 at 5:05pm
bakwoodsfarm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakwoodsfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 4:52pm
I run a hay farm and was worried about having to collect. Its hard to deliver $1500.00 worth of hay 200 miles and not know the person. Then you get a check and have to worry about that all the way home!!! But, I can say that horse people are very honest, I have been very lucky.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

101 in quoting prices of a product/ parts is to include unforeseen costs.

Dont worry, I will raise prices if I need to.  I feel bad my customers have to pay for the scaffolows.

Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

Those that do not believe in cutting people any slack miss a lot of joy. I feel sorry for you for all you miss. 

Beleive me, I cut a lot of slack....

TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by rasman57 rasman57 wrote:

You do what you have to do within reason once you have become certain that these are not good folks who otherwise may have a problem.  I was a cop for 30 years and worked over half of that in state police investigations.  Some people are just flat out uncaring and take advantage of decent people.  

Anybody can be down on their luck and have an isssue oe two but you can CLEARLY tell the difference if you live in the real world.   It is scary to know how many people your court system has warrants on in your own county....these are mostly people that just disregard EVERY aspect of society and ignore court orders, court dates, investigations etc. and continue to take advantage of others.    Lot's of second generation freeloaders who believe cradle to grave rights of TAKE TAKE TAKE.     I made a career out of sticking up for right vs wrong and following through on behalf of victims.  The common thread among offenders, from murderers to burglars to check scammers is the unmitigated disregard for other people and society.  

If more decent people call Bull**** and follow up on inequity and justice when it is REALLY evident.....you not only stand up for right, protect yourself and others, but you may end someones criminal conduct early.    Trust me on this... most good folks like the vast majority of you have been blessed with not fully knowing what is out there.   

We have a saying....  opportunistic wolves,  Gods  sheep and watchful sheepdogs.... you decide.       I NEVER judge a man on half a story but your bark sounds right to me.     

Well my story is about as cut and dry as it comes. There is no "drama" involved. Shipped parts, never got paid.  If any of my customers come across hard times I am MORE than willing to work with them as  I have been in the same position myself.  Blowing me off means I cant work with them so I got to try something else.
powertech84 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powertech84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 6:11pm
The legal system is a little bit screwed up in that if someone owes you something and doesn't want to pay, it costs you money to legaly get what you are owed. Personally, i prefer the advice my high school auto shop gave me, "just burn their house down". I still need to make a trip to rowlett texas one of these days come to think of it...
Darrell G (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell G (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 6:26pm
Well I have been told that I am quite good a collecting bad checks, I contacted the local authorities in this person home area and they were quite helpful with information and local pressure, such as a possible stay in Jail, if they didn't make the check good within 36 hours. I received my money from the county at the end f the month.
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 7:38pm
Well, Mr Johnypopper has some interesting company!  Child support dads and the model caught in a three some......LOL
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
Brad MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 7:48pm
I've been in business for 40 years. From my perspective Dick L is a sharp guy willing to share some real valuable advise for those that will have it. Anger and ego are traits that unnecessarily consume energy, tend to fog an otherwise clear thinking mind and are often expensive. 

Edited by Brad MI - 16 Dec 2010 at 7:49pm
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 8:52pm
I am with you Tom. I say letting the loosers off,and the honest people paying more for something is bullsh*t.   The pieces of crap that drive off is the reason I have to go in and pay for my gas before I pump.  What is right about punishing the honest???? I dont get some of you guys train of thought.  Adding to your price in the begining is as much stealing as the guy that wont pay his bills.
                                                  IG
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Brad MI Brad MI wrote:

I've been in business for 40 years. From my perspective Dick L is a sharp guy willing to share some real valuable advise for those that will have it. Anger and ego are traits that unnecessarily consume energy, tend to fog an otherwise clear thinking mind and are often expensive. 

Certainly not doing it out of anger or ego....not that Im not pissed, but doing it because I need paid.

Edited by TomYaz - 16 Dec 2010 at 9:21pm
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 9:24pm
Frontloading the selling price for raw material shrink, price escalation, and the cost of money is good business. If the buyer doesn't like the selling price, he doesn't have to buy. 

Edited by GBACBFan - 16 Dec 2010 at 9:36pm
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 9:32pm

No GBACB that is what is called punishing the honest for the crooks,I dont care what anyone says ,its wrong. I guess if you take pleasure in sticking it into honest people,you can call it what ever you want. And people wander whats wrong  with this country. He wants paid, and as far as I am concernd ,if there were more self policeing,and less lawyers this country would be way better off.    I know a man who runs a glass shop, he put a window in for some low life that wouldnt pay,and wouldnt pay.  He went over there and took it back out. They  came home to a big cold whole one day.  That might not have been legal,but its right. The guy not paying is wrong. Its real easy ,things are either right or wrong.  Alot of things  could be fixed real easy in this country.

IG                                                   

Edited by ILGLEANER - 16 Dec 2010 at 9:38pm
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 9:35pm
Did ya get my payment for them there bars???? LOL
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 9:39pm
I think you should contact the Harvard School of Business and tutor them on business modeling, ILG. They apparently have it all wrong.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 9:58pm
 They sure do there just a bunch of Liberals,I havent seen to many smart liberals in my life,thanks for the vote of confidence!!!!
                                                IG
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 10:20pm
I love posts like these that get us all "involved".People should pay their bills,I pay mine and expect everyone else to do the same.I am newly in business for myself and a large unpaid bill could put me under.This is my lively hood and take it very seriously.I would love to take the high ground and not worry about unpaid bills,but the reality is ;you have to what ever is necessary to get paid.
Tom I only bill people I personally know,Anyone else has to pay at completion.On big jobs,over 1000$ 1/2 up front and a signed contract.I know it may cost me some work, but at least I won't have to pay for the parts.
When I was an apprentice my boss could not get paid from a barowner when we finished installing a water heater.The barowner says what are you going to do? My boss and I started to take it out.The owner started yelling and called police.My boss showed the deputy his invoice showing he paid for water heater at wholesale house.Deputy understood what was going on and told us to go ahead and take our property.Barowner changed his tune and paid the bill.Don't know if that was legal or not but it worked.

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 16 Dec 2010 at 10:22pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Jamie (KY) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 10:28pm
I do a little woodworking/sign making on the side. I made a nice wooden sign with routed lettering and frame for my wife's aunt. It was a Christmas present from her son (my wife's cousin.) I delivered it for free and even took a bag of quickcrete, post hole diggers, and installed it when I got there for free because it was family.

I waited, after several attempts, for almost 4 months. It was only $45 (at family discount), but I was pissed that he would tell me that the check had been sent and then tell me later that he forgot to mail it!

After this amount of time, I told him that I was repossesing the sign. All I would have to do is remove the bottom board and re-route another one with a different last name and sell it to someone else for the full price.

I waited about a week and no check ever arrived so I took off over there. His mom (my wife's aunt) met me at the door with the money. I don't know who actually paid for it, him or her, but that didn't matter. Family or not, you don't screw around with me. I work hard for everything that I have and if you deal dirty with me, I'll go after you.
Just when I thought I was finishing my "honey-do-list", she turned the page!!!
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Pat the Plumber CIL Pat the Plumber CIL wrote:

I love posts like these that get us all "involved".People should pay their bills,I pay mine and expect everyone else to do the same.I am newly in business for myself and a large unpaid bill could put me under.This is my lively hood and take it very seriously.I would love to take the high ground and not worry about unpaid bills,but the reality is ;you have to what ever is necessary to get paid.
Tom I only bill people I personally know,Anyone else has to pay at completion.On big jobs,over 1000$ 1/2 up front and a signed contract.I know it may cost me some work, but at least I won't have to pay for the parts.
When I was an apprentice my boss could not get paid from a barowner when we finished installing a water heater.The barowner says what are you going to do? My boss and I started to take it out.The owner started yelling and called police.My boss showed the deputy his invoice showing he paid for water heater at wholesale house.Deputy understood what was going on and told us to go ahead and take our property.Barowner changed his tune and paid the bill.Don't know if that was legal or not but it worked.

Reminds me of a sign at my oldtimer mechanic back home (God rest his soul) "In God we Trust, All others pay cash"  Good advice I guess.

Ryan, havent checked, but Im watchin you!LOL!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 6:08am
Originally posted by ILGLEANER ILGLEANER wrote:

No GBACB that is what is called punishing the honest for the crooks,I dont care what anyone says ,its wrong. I guess if you take pleasure in sticking it into honest people,you can call it what ever you want. And people wander whats wrong  with this country. He wants paid, and as far as I am concernd ,if there were more self policeing,and less lawyers this country would be way better off.    I know a man who runs a glass shop, he put a window in for some low life that wouldnt pay,and wouldnt pay.  He went over there and took it back out. They  came home to a big cold whole one day.  That might not have been legal,but its right. The guy not paying is wrong. Its real easy ,things are either right or wrong.  Alot of things  could be fixed real easy in this country.

IG                                                   

Moral hazard comes to mind. Let them off and they'll do it again. 
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic