Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Politics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Cases of Wuhan Viirus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:28am
Originally posted by TimNearFortWorth TimNearFortWorth wrote:

10&20, maybe you have another reason to slam Lou that we don't know about but he said nothing to warrant your comment, then you advised "apology accepted"?

Lou had no reason to apologize but it shows he is a stand-up guy.

Lou works in a lab so I would give some credence to what he said as he likely has more info than most on here as to the particulars of safely dealing with this crud . . . . .

Actually, I am not a research scientist, or lab tech, I repair the equipment that those folks use in their research. I work in research labs in western Pa, parts of Ohio, NY, and WV. I am by no means an authority on the subject of biology. However, rubbing elbows with the guys that make a living doing such research, I have been able to learn some on the subject. Plus, I married a medical lab tech who has helped my 'education' some too.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 7:32pm
tuesday night March 17 -------- even got CANADA at the bottom of the list !

dont know if its MORE testing, or SPREADING, but the top 8 have shown a drastic increase in the numbers today.

Country,
Other

Total
Cases

New
Cases

Total
Deaths

Total
Recovered

Tot Cases/
1M pop

China

Italy

+3,526

Iran

+1,178

Spain

+1,884

Germany

+2,095

S. Korea

+84

France

+1,097

USA

+1,778

Switzerland

+389

UK

+407

Netherlands

+292

Norway

+122

Austria

+314

Belgium

+185

Sweden

+75

Denmark

+63

Japan

+45

Diamond Princess

Malaysia

+107

Canada

+157

Australia

+51

Edited by steve(ill) - 17 Mar 2020 at 7:33pm
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 10:47am
dang, finally made the list !!!!

as for the 'numbers' it might be better reporting, who knows ???

I KNOW I never,ever reported in when I had the flu940-50-60 year ago), don't know of anyone who did...we just dealt with it...life carried on....

I figure we got 5-7 months of food in the freezer AND the rhubarb's UP !!, Well poking up !!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:29am
While you dream up yet another callous reference to "the" flu, consider this.

The flu season statistics always used, look at total infections the prior season, or whatever year you want to look at, and pick out the number of deaths as a big number, but a small percentage of total cases.  Millions of cases, 30,000 deaths, usually .1%.  Compared to right now, approximately 3.5%, or 35 times the rate based on number of infections.  Yet that is not enough to sink in....

So here's what I really want you to consider:  We have not completed the season of this yet, so we don't know how things will tally up.  Consider Italy, don't look at number of infections, look at number of resolved cases.  Cases resolve in one of 2 ways: you get better, or you die.  The ratio: 54% of cases resolved in recovery, 46% have resulted in death. And the number of resolved cases is in the thousands right now, so becoming more legit every day.   So if you're sick in Italy right now, you really gotta be wondering which side you'll come out on.  It moves quick and hits hard, and if it hits you hard your odds aren't very good.  Still think it's just a flu?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:32am
The wife is a CCU nurse.  The cases in Michigan right now, the people are presenting with bilateral pneumonia.  Literally showing up to health care already damn sick, and it has just hit them.  At our little hospital, we have 4 ventilators, in a county of 30,000 give or take. 
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:54am
Last i saw,  Kansas had like 5 cases and 1 death.   Kansas has cancelled all school for the year (till fall).  everyone..  we live in the country and i avoid town anyway so i see nothing other than idoits in grocery store or on tv.

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD10W,HD16

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, R62, R72 HD15
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:57am
re: Still think it's just a flu?
No, and I never said it was the flu. My referring to the 'flu' is the 'numbers game' and how or IF they get reported.

I hear CV19 is 'related' to the common cold virus. So, how many here ALWAYS report to CDC that they have a cold ? My comment was directed to the 'number crunching' NOT the disease.

If this CV19 truly is as bad as 'they' say it is, then the WHO, UN, xyz, the World leaders COULD have  dealt with it far better, far faster than the hodge,podge try this try that approach.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: Still think it's just a flu?
No, and I never said it was the flu. My referring to the 'flu' is the 'numbers game' and how or IF they get reported.

I hear CV19 is 'related' to the common cold virus. So, how many here ALWAYS report to CDC that they have a cold ? My comment was directed to the 'number crunching' NOT the disease.

If this CV19 truly is as bad as 'they' say it is, then the WHO, UN, xyz, the World leaders COULD have  dealt with it far better, far faster than the hodge,podge try this try that approach.
Maybe not in this post, but it is certainly your underlying tone.

Over 50% of common colds are caused by rhinovirus.  Among the other causes, a human coronavirus is one of them.  Big deal.  Like I said before, a wolf is related to a shih tzu.  So what. 

One time, you criticize the numbers game, another you wonder why these organizations didn't do more, better, faster.......How are they supposed to do that if not based on numbers?  Obviously, this was something that showed up as worthy of tracking more so than a cold, or they wouldn't know anything at all.  And just who would have been in charge of the entire world to do even more and do it more rapidly than what we have?  And what would that have actually prevented?

Ford, GM, Chrysler just announced shut down.  The fun continues.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 1:46pm
UPI is reporting Trump just shut down Canadians crossing border?

10 mins. later the story had been taken down . . . .
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 1:54pm
The World Health Organization was worried about stigmatization of Chinese people while Trump was shutting down travel to China. The WHO has turned into a political hack group and should be defunded and thrown in the trash.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 2:00pm
Well I heard at noon 'they' will shut it down to 'nonessential crossings'......whatever that means......bilateral agreement....T and T....food will come in, don't know about car parts. Be interesting to see the Sarnia bridge cameras....
city hall and every other place is closed...no parks, rinks,museums,etc....great as kids are off for 3 1/2 weeks of extended March break.
Good news is the university kids in London didn't TRASH the neighbourhood on Saint Paddy's Day, a FIRST in a decade or so.....
bad news, LCBO is supposed to be on 'short' hours so booze will be fun to get....

as for ...And what would that have actually prevented?...
 it would have prevented the widespread, unchecked transmission of the virus resulting in significantly fewer deaths and only a minor impact on the World economy.
Who to implement, well the head of the UN of course, IF they actually reflected  united nations and not useless ninnies.......

just found this at Bluewaterbridge site...

Covid-19 coronavirus UPDATE

The U.S. and Canada have agreed to temporarily close the border between the two countries to all non-essential traffic. Details have not yet been released. Trucking services and other commerce between the countries will be allowed. It is also assumed that Canadian snowbirds will be allowed to return to Canada. Officials are still working to define “non-essential travel” and expect to release the rules Thursday or Friday. 

At this time, land ports of entry to the United States or Canada are NOT closed. You may still drive across the border!

Canada has already moved to close their border to foreign travelers with exceptions for U.S. citizens, air crews, diplomats, and immediate family members.

Edited by jaybmiller - 18 Mar 2020 at 2:04pm

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 2:30pm
Prevention, I was more/less referring to the economy.  The UN has no such authority, and shouldn't have.  Think about it: how long ago did you first hear the words coronavirus in this context?  6-8 weeks ago?  And what did you think at the time: another China bug gone a little nuts, no bigger deal than anything else.  Nobody would have shut down such as what we are much sooner than what we did.  Trump shut down travel to china, which was great, and correct, and probably the one sole reason our cases in the US are as low as they are.  China reacted and shut themselves down, but the cat was already out of the bag. 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 2:31pm
I dont think this is "THE FLU"........ but it still makes me wonder.. WE have 6500 cases of the VIRUS and 110 Died......... The numbers just seem to be VERY LOW for the response we are getting.... Better to be safe than sorry, but the numbers/ response just seem "ODD" compared to SWINE flu or Seasonal Flu, etc... I think thats what Jay is saying also.

Maybe this is just highly contageous and we will have 100,000 cases in a month... Lets hope not. I hope we are over reacting and make this go away quick.

Edited by steve(ill) - 18 Mar 2020 at 2:34pm
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 2:38pm
Tbone----------- 100% Correct !
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Tbone----------- 100% Correct !
Dang Steve, that's twice in one week!  Holy sh!t!!LOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 2:43pm

I dont think this is "THE FLU"........ but it still makes me wonder.. WE have 6500 cases of the VIRUS and 110 Died......... The numbers just seem to be VERY LOW for the response we are getting.... Better to be safe than sorry, but the numbers/ response just seem "ODD" compared to SWINE flu or Seasonal Flu, etc... I think thats what Jay is saying also.

Maybe this is just highly contageous and we will have 100,000 cases in a month... Lets hope not. I hope we are over reacting and make this go away quick.
It's obviously fueled by panic at this point, and we'll never know what might have been with any other course of action.  And with this enormous shut down, if we believe we are doing the right thing at any level, then it stands to reason that we won't know how many would have gotten sick or died had we not done this.

The resolved cases stat from Italy, that's the type of stat I believe is responsible for the basis of this reaction, if not the scope of this overreaction.

Here it is again: Cases resolve in one of 2 ways: you get better, or you die.  The ratio: 54% of cases resolved in recovery, 46% have resulted in death

That's the scoop in Italy as of today. 

Edited by Tbone95 - 18 Mar 2020 at 2:47pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 5:38pm
TBone, remember italy has the perfect utopia of socialized medicine!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 7:26pm
Professionals Work Tirelessly To Discover Which Political Party Should Be Blamed For Virus
March 18th, 2020

U.S.—Hope for figuring out which political party to blame for the novel coronavirus could be on the horizon, as professional task forces have been assembled across various public and private areas of expertise, and vigorous research is underway.

So far, professionals are divided on which political party should drown in their own shame, but once that is figured out they say they can move on to finding a cure or vaccine for the virus. "The people are depending on us to set all other priorities aside and really let one political party have it over this whole thing. That's the job we've been called to and we took a vow to get it done," said Dr. Stripzejk of Columbia University.

Professionals began assigning blame just as a federal health official warned that the virus will eventually start spreading in the United States. A clinical trial to determine which political party should be lambasted, tarred, and feathered for the coronavirus started at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, the National Institutes of Health said. 

"We gotta get to the bottom of this," President Trump said in a recent statement, in a rare moment agreeing with his opponents in the Democratic Party.

"America is waiting," said Professor Angela Acer of Corrigan Hills University in Maryland. "We know some people aren't going to make it through this. Our hope is that—at the very least—on their death bed they can know which party to blame before they pass on."Wink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 9:16pm
as of 8 PH tonight, wed March 18 ---------- looks like we have moved UP the scale a couple spots on number of cases....Of course, we have 5-6 times as many people as most of the European countries.  S Korea looks to be getting some Cures... they got the virus a week or two before we did.

Country,
Other

Total
Cases

New
Cases

Total
Deaths

Total
Recovered

Tot Cases/
1M pop

China

Italy

+4,207

Iran

+1,192

Spain

+2,943

Germany

+2,960

USA

+2,954

France

+1,404

S. Korea

+245

Switzerland

+373

UK

+676

Netherlands

+346

Austria

+314

Norway

+120

Belgium

+243

Sweden

+105

Denmark

+80

Japan

+36

Malaysia

+117

Canada

+129

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 7:55am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

TBone, remember italy has the perfect utopia of socialized medicine!Wink
Normally, I'd be right in line with this comment.  In this case, I don't think it applies.  JMHO.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:29am
well, part of their problem is that the doctors RUSHED people thru telling them they all had the FLU instead of looking further into the CHINA problems.... Italy drug their feet for 3-4 weeks until it was too late..  Socialized medicine might have been a part of that by running people thru like cattle and not really LOOKING at a potential problem.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:33am
Thursday morning March 19

Country,
Other

Total
Cases

New
Cases

Total
Deaths

Total
Recovered

Tot Cases/
1M pop

China

+34

Italy

Iran

+1,046

Spain

+2,378

Germany

+1,305

USA

+218

France

S. Korea

+152

Switzerland

+824

UK

Netherlands

+409

Austria

+197

Belgium

+309

Norway

+113

Sweden

+51

Denmark

+75

Japan

+9

Malaysia

+110

Portugal

+143

Canada

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:47am

well, part of their problem is that the doctors RUSHED people thru telling them they all had the FLU instead of looking further into the CHINA problems.... Italy drug their feet for 3-4 weeks until it was too late..  Socialized medicine might have been a part of that by running people thru like cattle and not really LOOKING at a potential problem.
Italy had large numbers of Chinese working in their factories and lots of travel between the two countries....... guess what other country is similar?
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

Italy had large numbers of Chinese working in their factories and lots of travel between the two countries....... guess what other country is similar?
I'm going to guess the US.

The owner of our company is in his upper 70's.  Guess where he traveled in December and January.  China and Italy BOTH!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:51am

Just asking.....politely....how do you know that?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 10:04am
I remember hearing ..... on the radio perhaps, that Italy didn't want to restrict travel and didn't restrict until after the US had...... at least I think I heard that. Been so much info flying around that I think I'll go home early and expend some of that expensive ammo plinking with the 22.......... maybe..... it looks pretty crappy out right now Thumbs Down
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:06pm
TIME ...... March 10

How did coronavirus start spreading in Italy?

Officially it began in Feb. 20, when a 38-year-old man checked himself into a local hospital in the town of Codogno in Lombardy. He tested positive with the virus, becoming the first recorded patient with the COVID-19 virus in Italy.

Yet some health officials believe that the virus arrived in Italy long before the first case was discovered. “The virus had probably been circulating for quite some time,” Flavia Riccardo, a researcher in the Department of Infectious Diseases at the Italian National Institute of Health tells TIME. “This happened right when we were having our peak of influenza and people were presenting with influenza symptoms.”

Before the first case was reported, there was an unusually high number of pneumonia cases recorded at a hospital in Codogno in northern Italy, the head of the emergency ward Stefano Paglia told the newspaper La Repubblica, suggesting it is possible patients with the virus were treated as if they had a seasonal flu. Health facilities hosting these patients could have become sites for infection, helping proliferate the spread of the virus.

The northern regions of Lombardy, Veneto and Emilia-Romagna, have been most affected by the outbreak. 85% of infected patients are in the region which is home to 92% of deaths so far. But the virus has been confirmed in all 20 regions of the country.

Why does Italy have such a high number of cases and deaths?

Because the virus spread undetected, some officials believe this is the reason for such a high number of cases in the country. “This started unnoticed which means by the time we realized it, there were a lot of transmission chains happening,” Riccardo says, noting that this may be why Italy has seen such a high number of cases.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:12pm
I think there are several "parts" to the story with Italy.... As LONN said, they have a lot of Chineese workers in the country.. MANY people were getting "THE FLUE" at the first of the year. The GOVT did not put 2 + 2 together.  They continued to travel back and forth with CHINA... Finally they figured out it was the WUHAN VIRUS and shut down travel AFTER the US did it... Then they started to shut down the country AFTER the US did it... Just a little slow to react.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:33pm
Good info, thanks.

Funny how so many wanted to just poo-poo it here as well.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:40pm
I was one of them that was concerned about the MADNESS happening a month ago... and i still am.. Not saying this is not IMPORTANT, and MAYBE everything is justified ... dont know.... I just wonder if we had NOT shut down business, crashed the stock market, closed everything in site....... what would happen ?   I KNOW its not the flue, but 100 MILLION people get the flu every year and we continue to thrive as a country... I still have questions........ and i dont know the total deaths that "MIGHT" occure if you do this, as compared to do nothing..

I do see that we might overwhelm the hospitals and doctors if nothing was done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic