This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D19 hyd oil in transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D19 hyd oil in transmission
    Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 9:59am
My D19 hyd oil level drops and transmission level raises. Can someone tell me possible causes? Also does anyone have pictures or plans for a splitting stand?     Thanks   Bill
Sponsored Links

Matt (Jordan,MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (Jordan,MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 10:34am
My D19 did this and i found that a seal on the PTO shaft was bad. I figured as long as i had the tractor split that i would put in both seals on the PTo shaft. The seal and gasket on the transmission input shaft. I also replaced the rear PTo seal and the orings for the clutch handle and the orings for the Hyd. lines. You can get all the gaskets and seals from AGCO. Matt   
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 10:57am
When the WD's first came out - 1948 - this was also a problem. Oil was transferring from the hyd compartment to the rear compartments.  To correct te problem we did what Matt did and took out the hyd compartment and replaced the seals.  Took them a while to get the seals right.  In fact I believe the last seal part we received had basically two seals facing different directions.
Bill, listen carefully to what Matt says because I'm certain it may be what is needed. 
If the D-19 - I did not sell any - has an enclosed hyd ram you may check the hose.  Leaking hoses or ram seals can have the oil move from the ram compartment to the transmission.
Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 6:29pm
D19's have external hyd cylinders(2) and hoses, so that isn't the problem.  If you split it for repairs, you don't need a splitting stand.  On a wide front, drive blocks of wood between the front axle and the front support so it can't flop over on it's side. Bottle jack as far rearward as you can to the actual split point (at the dash) to hold up the front half of the tractor when split. Use a length of pipe four feet long that will just slide over the PTO shaft as a lever. When split, it takes one man on the pipe and two more on each rear wheel. Block the front wheels to keep from moving and roll the rear end away from the torque hsg( go as straight as you can !!). Use wood blocks to block/hold the rear end stable when rolled apart about three feet. Rearend is heavy on the front, so push down on your pipe.....real easy to do. A narrow front?? turn each front wheel inside out for stability and lock the steering wheel straight ahead so it can't possibly turn on it's own. Replace both upper seal and two lower seals and rear PTO seal and O-ring as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic