This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 series 4 hydraulic pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zahn7115 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 series 4 hydraulic pump
    Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 5:39pm
I have a 1965 D17 Series 4 and I want to free up the single rear remote from my loader. I have the side gear type pump and I'd like to tap into the pump. I'm not real sure if this is a good idea or not and I'm not real sure what the three hookups are on the pump. There is a big one inch line on the rear of the pump going directly down to the sump. On the front there are 3/8" and 5/8" lines that run to the rear valve assembly. I'm assuming the smaller line is the high pressure line? My manual doesn't show much as far as Series 4 hydraulic systems.
And if I could tap into the system by the pump I could run the two new hoses I need directly up to the loader valve. Any information or opinions given are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Nathan

Edited by Zahn7115 - 03 Nov 2018 at 8:30pm
Sponsored Links

Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 5:44pm
We tapped into the pump output line, plumbed to the loader hydraulics, then back to the tractor spool valves. Works great. D17 IV,Factory hydraulics unaffected.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 7:14pm
You cannot just plumb into any old two-spool valve. It must be a "power-beyond" type valve made for an open center hydraulic system.
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

You cannot just plumb into any old two-spool valve. It must be a "power-beyond" type valve made for an open center hydraulic system.

I am certain you are right! We just told the dealer what we wanted to do and he sold us a used valve assembly that gave us down/ up pressure and bucket tilt back and forth 15 or 20 years ago.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 7:01am
Does your pump look like this one? I spotted it on a 170 the other day. Mounted up where the belt pulley would have been. I know nothing about it. If AC equipment or other? I saw it as an interesting add on pump option. Not sure how functional it was or is, or if the same pump could be used on a lot of tractors.

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 8:15am
Early 170s had pump on side like IV4 D17. Later pump was moved to be driven off front of crankshaft.      MACK
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 8:45am
Originally posted by modirt modirt wrote:

Does your pump look like this one? I spotted it on a 170 the other day. Mounted up where the belt pulley would have been. I know nothing about it. If AC equipment or other? I saw it as an interesting add on pump option. Not sure how functional it was or is, or if the same pump could be used on a lot of tractors.

That is the stock pump and location for Series IV D17s and early 170 tractors.  You cannot put it on any other tractor and expect it to work though.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 9:52am
Those pumps were "live" and turn whenever the engine does.
There's a quill shaft that connects to the pressure plate via splines and has a right-angle (bevel) gear that engages the pump input shaft.
The largest line is the Intake from the sump.
The medium sized one is line pressure to the hydraulic valve stack.
The smallest line is to the Traction Booster valve; it is a separate stage of the pump and at higher pressure.

Edited by Gatz in NE - 04 Nov 2018 at 9:53am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 10:07am
D-17 S4 is a dual-section pump. Main section is for the lift and the small section is for the Traction Booster system. A 170/175 have a triple pump. One for the lift, a small one for the Traction Booster and the last one for the hydrostatic power steering.
Adam0096 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam0096 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 11:28am
Do you know if the AC 170 pumps interchangeable with the d17 series 4?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 11:34am
No.  Triple pump on 170/175 and dual pump on D17 S4. Look at the suction hose and suction tube. They are not the same pump.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic