This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 Series 1, new tractor owners got questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brittnbrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 Series 1, new tractor owners got questions
    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 4:39pm

What is this for? It feels like it’s bone dry, I thought maybe engine oil but I found that dipstick on motor .. thanks please don’t bash to hard haha..
Sponsored Links

den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 5:35pm
Hydraulic oil.   Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 6:32pm

Brent

Welcome to the Allis Forum. Lots of good information can be found here.

If you are new to Farm Tractors, or just new to Allis Chalmers,

you need a copy of this Manual:

Operators Instructions and Parts Illustration Allis D-17

A copy of this Manual went with every new tractor to a new owner.

My Dad was an Allis Dealer from 1953 to mid 70's.

Gary

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Allis-Chalmers-D17-D-17-Gas-Tractor-SN-24001-and-up-Operators-Owner-Manual/300981447402?hash=item4613e46aea:g:7WQAAOSw9GhYfBwb&vxp=mtr

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Here is a link to some specs on the D-17.

There were 4 series of the D-17 between 1957 and 1967

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/1/18-allis-chalmers-d17.html

Edited by Gary - 10 Apr 2020 at 6:38pm
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 8:17pm
Like Gary said, get an operator's manual.  It will give you all the information you need to know about your new tractor.  They can be found on e-bay pretty cheap.  Some good folks have them for sale here too.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Brittnbrent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brittnbrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 8:49pm
That Manual for all series one? Our serial is D17 7916. Thank you guys
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 8:52pm
It is not uncommon for either the hydraulic ram or hose located within the differential and lift arm housings to develop a leak. 
When this happens the hydraulic oil winds up in the transmission and power director housings.
The dipstick for the transmission is the one under the oil cap to the right of the transmission shifter and the Power Director dipstick is the Hex plug to the left of the shifter in front of the shifter position numbers.
You may want to check these to see if they are overfull.
Brittnbrent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brittnbrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:02pm
Thanks I’ll check them, if it leaks and doesn’t have anything in it will it hurt the hydraulics? The guy I bought it from said he used 30weight motor oil for every fluid.. is that common or a home remedy?? Could it of messed up anything?
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 8:56am
BrittnBrent,
 Welcome to the Allis forum. You can get most of your questions answered here about your tractor. More pictures are always welcomed too.
Regards,
 Chris 
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 10:21am
For the Hydraulics,the original manual calls for 9-3/4 Qts of 20 wt oil above 45 deg or 10 wt oil below 45deg.
It calls for 24 Qts of 80W "Special A-C transmission oil for the transmission. Modern 80/90 gear oil is plenty good enough.
It calls for 8-1/2 Qts of 20Wt oil for the Power Director clutch.

Most everyone now uses a good quality "Hytran" hydraulic oil in everything including the transmission.

That 30W oil the prior owner was using will probably be OK in the P.D. and hydraulics but I would not recommend it for the tranny.

I would not run anything on the tractor without fluid.

If it is the cylinder or hose leaking (which we don't yet know for sure) you will probably not lose a lot of oil if you are not using hydraulically lifted implements. When I run my D-17 without the bush hog, I get very little migration of oil.
When I do use my bush hog and use the hydraulic lift a lot, I will have to add oil to the hydraulics and "suck" some oil out of the P.D. and Trans. housings occasionally.
I have heard on this site that later D-17s shared oil between all three compartments so as long as everything is full (and not overfull) there should be no big problem.
I believe, in order to update the older D-17s, the tractor has to be "split" and one of the seals removed. 
I don't think it is good to run these overfull. When the P.D. compartment on my D-17 is overfull, oil is forced out of the vent hole when it gets hot.
When I get a round tuit, I will pull the lift arm housing to confirm the problem and take steps to repair it.
Like others have said, you really need to invest in the three manuals; Operating, Service and Parts. You will be doing yourself a big favor!
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 4:44pm
I did not realize that the d-17 early models like the one I own had separate compartments for the hydraulics,transmission and power director sections...
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 9:13pm
Later D17's, starting with the series III only shared the PD with hydraulics. The transmission stayed separate. The Series III and IV had a filter to keep PD clutch material out. There was no hydraulic filter prior to series III.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic