This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 rotor shaft not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 10:51am
It starts immediatly/easy and idles way lower than ever before...( Still a slight delay in throttle response, but better than before) I still need to make sure the points are just opening at TDC and #1 compression (the way my book reads you loosen 2 9/16" clamp bolt just enough to rotate distributor housing so they just start to open...)it says counter clockwise?

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 22 Jul 2022 at 10:53am
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 11:18pm
Your delay may be nothing more than needing the idle screw adjusted a little richer. Turn housing counter clockwise to open points because the shaft goes clock wise to open them. "same difference" You are trying to open them with the shaft /engine/flywheel in a certain spot so you have to turn the housing. Confused yet?
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 4:45am
That could be I will try it, I'll need to look in my manual to see which way to turn the screw. Gotcha!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 8:44am
My service manual doesn't show carb that I actually have on tractor ( mine has a small bent screw adjustment on vevy bottom and one on top?)
Can anyone tell me where they need set please?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 1:19pm
HUNT.... i dont know what you have... but normally the bent screw at the bottom is for an adjustable main jet to get MORE or LESS fuel at full throttle... The upper screw would be the low speed / idle screw adjustment...  Turn the upper one in till it bottoms out.. count how many turns or 1/4 turns that takes... Normally 1-1/2 turns... Now turn it back out to 1-1/4 turn and check operation.. while running, back out to 1-3/4 and see how it runs... Pick the spot that seems best... Normally 1 to 2 turns out is it.

If you back it out to 2 or more it should start to blubber ... then screw it back in till it cleans up... Screw in to far and it will start to die out..

Edited by steve(ill) - 26 Jul 2022 at 1:22pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 6:12am
Ok, where should the bottom bent screw set point be?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 6:29am
With the engine running wide open, slowly screw the "L" shaped main jet inward until the engine begins to falter. From that point screw it back out one full turn, drive it and fine tune as needed.  If it stumbles when you crack the throttle suddenly, give it another 1/4 turn open. If it runs fine leave it alone.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 7:51am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

With the engine running wide open, slowly screw the "L" shaped main jet inward until the engine begins to falter. From that point screw it back out one full turn, drive it and fine tune as needed.  If it stumbles when you crack the throttle suddenly, give it another 1/4 turn open. If it runs fine leave it alone.

Ok thanks for your info, how much does either of these adjustment screws play in how responsive the throttle lever at steering wheel is compared to actual engine response time when throttle lever is moved?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 8:01am
None, really.  If the L-shaped screw is in too far, it will stumble every time you crack open the throttle, because it is too "lean" in fuel delivery. If it is too far out, it will just use more gas and maybe (and that means maybe) it will smoke black out the exhaust at certain engine speeds.  I don't know what your issue is with throttle response. Gas tractors sometimes don't respond to every little movement of the throttle lever like a diesel does. They just don't. But if you pull the throttle clear down from a dead slow idle, the engine SHOULD increase RPMs to full speed in less than ONE SECOND. There is no delay from idle to full speed....none.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 9:29am
Okay it could be that I got used to how it ran before I did the governor change out and distributor. It does respond like what you're saying it just seems to be delayed on the small movements of the throttle now which it wasn't before
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 11:29am
Car engines use to have a plunger pump in the carburetor to give it that SHOT of gas when you stomped on the throttle......... Tractors and lawn mowers were more of a steady RPM operation and do tend to take a second or two to "pick up speed" as you crack the throttle.. Normally not a big deal... It could be a bit OFF, but nobody will notice . Wink

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Aug 2022 at 11:30am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 6:59am
Make sure your manifold and manifold gaskets are in good shape.  Our D-17 had a slight leak, at one time, which caused a slight hesitation and rough running.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic