This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 III Steering Spindle Arms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeickman01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 III Steering Spindle Arms
    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 2:16pm
Thought I was doing something wrong or wasn't using enough heat that I couldn't get the steering spindle arms off the spindles on my D17.  Double checked the service manuals  and found no clue.  Then I did a search on this great forum and found that there is a .002 inch interference fit.  Doesn't say that in the manuals.  Back to the shop...  Ground the top of the spindles to remove the mushrooming I created by beating on them and spent more time with the torch heating the spindle arm around the spindle shaft.  Tried a puller and tried driving with a spacer block so as not to mushroom the spindle ends.  No go.  Maybe I "swedged" the spindles in their bores by beating on them.  Maybe this tractor started out with more than a .002 press fit.  I think I have enough slack that I can torch the spindle shaft at the bottom, slide it out from the top and take it to an arbor press.  Anyone else been through this and have any suggestions before I head back to the shop? 
Sponsored Links

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 3:03pm
Heat it red hot and douse with a 5 gal bucket of cold water. It'll tap right off. Then to go back on heat again red hot, have a big pliers handy and set it hot back on spindle and let cool on its own. Works every time.... don't forget the half moon key.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 3:45pm
You Can Not Drive The Spindle Down You Have to Drive The Arm Off From The Top 
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 4:50pm
Alvin is correct. The key in the spindle won't go down through the knee.
jeickman01 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeickman01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 6:14pm
I don't understand.  When i jack the the front axle up, the spindle arm is hanging on top of the knee and driving the spindle down wouldn't force the key into the knee.  It should drop the spindle and front axle assy away from the spindle arm.  What am I missing?
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by jeickman01 jeickman01 wrote:

I don't understand.  When i jack the the front axle up, the spindle arm is hanging on top of the knee and driving the spindle down wouldn't force the key into the knee.  It should drop the spindle and front axle assy away from the spindle arm.  What am I missing?

It is a half moon key that fits in the spindle.  It cannot go anywhere until the spindle arm on top is removed.  Once the arm is removed, the key can be removed and the spindle will drop through the knee no problem.  Did that on my D21 a couple of months ago.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:50pm
If it was a straight cut key, then you probably could drive the spindle down through the arm. But as you have found, driving down on the spindle just mushrooms the top and usually screws up the snap ring groove. The half moon key is actually what is called a highpro key, I think. Once you get it apart, you'll understand it better. Try Lonn's suggestion. If you could get the knee out of the main part of the front end,you can turn it upside down and reinstall it so that you can drive the arm down instead of having to drive it up. Swinging a sledge works better for me that way.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:08pm
Lynn, is correct, pull knee, turn upside down and beat it off with sledgehammer cold. Put back on same way. Set bottom of spindle on solid block and drive arm on cold. Every thing stays same size without heat.              MACK
jeickman01 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeickman01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 6:40am
Ok, I get it now,  Thanks everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic