This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

d-17 cam bushings too tight???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: d-17 cam bushings too tight???
    Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 5:38pm
Borrowed a cam bushing install tool, put bushings in freezer overnight,just got thru putting them in. First time I used lucas for assembly lube, could barely turn the cam with both hands on the camshaft gear.  Pulled cam out cleaned off lucas and put 10-30 thinking lucas was too thick in my cold basement. Same results can only turn cam with socket on cam gear. I'm thinking it should almost free-wheel since engine block is upside- down with nothing touching the cam except the bushings. So how easy is it to turn when it is right??   I put rod & mains in my B, but have not done cam bushings before. Any advice appreciated.......  Keith so.va.
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 7:21pm
Did'nt burr or swell edge installing? Should be nice fit and turn easy. Only did my 45 and that's how they were.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:00pm
Been installing cam brearing for over 35 years ,why did you freeze them .

Give me a call 717-632-9022 this is  my shop # up 6 pm eastern time .

Edited by Fred in Pa - 04 Feb 2019 at 8:02am
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:07pm
Did you try the cam bearing on camshaft before installation? That is too tight, could end up spinning one. Does camshaft enter any bearing without resistance? Need to find the cause of problem first. Is bearing surface on cam round? Something sounds amiss. Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:52pm
I would guess bearings didn't start in straight causing one or all to be out of round.
Will it turn easer when all the way in?     MACK
tractorboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:36pm
Thanks for the help Fred !  After talking with you I understood what was going wrong. I did try them on the shaft, but guilty as charged [Steve], I messed up the edges by not going in straight [Mack]!!  Lesson learned!!  Thanks again Fred, I owe you one !  Keith
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:54pm
I use a driver with a shaft longer than block to keep it straight in block.    MACK
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 7:43am
 This is my set up I use for installing  cam bushings .
 Having correct tools for the job and understanding how to use them is important.

He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:27am
Fred is showing the right tool for the job!!!! If you don't have one get one from someone or rent, but if you are going to be rebuilding more engines then I'd just buy a set.
Fred your driver looks like you have used it before. lol
I will just add some more shots of the same unit on a D17 gas engine.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic