This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-17 Brake Adjustment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-17 Brake Adjustment.
    Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 3:17pm
Going to be Bush Hogging and I like the brakes working really good because I have a lot of steep banks to traverse.
What started out to be a very simple routine job  became a little more time consuming due to critters building a nest in the RH housing.
A whole pile of stuff.....took a lot of fishing with a wire hook and finally blowing out with compressed air.
When I installed the brakes I put a plug in the big ol' hole in the bottom of the housing but I guess there was plenty enuf room at the hole where the rod comes in to let them in.
I'm glad I discovered this because quite a few years ago when I was using my WD-45 for the job, there was a nest that caught fire inside the housing on tha tractor.

ALSO......I put new brake shoes on this tractor when I first got it. 
I followed the manual explicitly including setting the brake rod ends 20-15/16" from the toggle pin.
The RH brake pedal was always a little lower than the LH which makes even braking with just one foot a little "hairy".

So......I decided to simply screw the rod in a little on the RH side and get the pedals even.  Worked like a charm!
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic