This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-15 PTO Lever Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-15 PTO Lever Repair
    Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:03am
We lost the detent balls on the PTO lever. We can already see this is going to be fun getting the new ones in. Any tips/tricks to do this? Dad is worried we will have to split the tractor. We already got into the housing via the plate, but it's tight quarters.
"Better By Design"
Sponsored Links

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:12am
I have replaced the spring, ball or lever from going into the side cover and it's tough but can be done, helps to have two working on it; if it's your first time doing this might save time to just split the tractor. I'd change the O-ring on the  PTO lever at this time too.

Edited by Don(MO) - 17 Aug 2016 at 8:13am
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:17am
x2 on the oring. I always sell one to the customer if they have a tractor split and tell them they will thank me when they don't have oil on the platform. Kind of like how I always advise the customer to get new input shaft seals when doing a clutch job.

Jim
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:50am
I'm trying to figure out how the ball (not balls)got lost ??? It can't just fall out out....
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 3:08pm
It was like that when I found it....
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 4:45pm
Leave it alone. My d17 had the spring collapsed when I got it so in effect it had no detent ball. I fixed it when I had the torque tube apart and wish I hadn't.   We used it for years with no detent and it never gave any trouble.   Now it is a pain to get it to pop out of the detent half the time and I can't figure out if the pto doesn't line up or if the ball is sticking. Can't wait for that spring to die again.
Austin(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 5:46pm
Sorry. It is just one ball. I was just basing this off of what Dad was telling me over the phone at first. The pin on the shaft came off and the forks fell off....could not engage PTO. It was all laying in the bottom of the chamber. 
"Better By Design"
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 6:19pm
To paraphrase Garry Lee, Here comes johnny, he's a one balled man, with his lever in his hand...

Caution, explicit lyrics...LOLLOL

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 6:28pm
Replace the pin with a 5/16" bolt about 2 inches long and a locknut. I'm trying to envision getting the ball and spring slipped back together thru that square hole. Definitely want to silicone the ball in the arms hole. Then, a second person has to slide the lever back in the housing while you hold the fork.

Austin(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 6:43pm
Thanks Dr. Allis...we will give it a shot!
"Better By Design"
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Austin(WI) Austin(WI) wrote:

Sorry. It is just one ball. I was just basing this off of what Dad was telling me over the phone at first. The pin on the shaft came off and the forks fell off....could not engage PTO. It was all laying in the bottom of the chamber. 

That's what I was thinking but for one time in my life I didn't say it.Big smileLOL
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Replace the pin with a 5/16" bolt about 2 inches long and a locknut. I'm trying to envision getting the ball and spring slipped back together thru that square hole. Definitely want to silicone the ball in the arms hole. Then, a second person has to slide the lever back in the housing while you hold the fork.

I had a early D17 come in with the PTO lever in the tool box with oil leaking down the side of the tractor owner said it just fell out, the pin was gone and the shift bracket the ball ran in was down it the bottom of the housing found the ball in the oil I drained out but I didn't find the pin asked the owner if he had been inside then I got the hole story, he had tried to change the O-ring to stop the oil from leaking out and dropped the bracket when he pulled the PTO leaver out, so I rebuilt a old push rod to hold the ball inside the case as I installed all the pieces back togather, one hell of a job by my-shelf. Two can do it.    

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 7:49pm
With the PTO lever in the engaged position, once the pin is removed, one can hold the fork while the other helper rotates and pull out the lever.. reinstall the same way...ball and spring will never get lost.
dn29626 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dn29626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 12:04pm
I know this thread is old. https://www.ebay.com/itm/323773062037?hash=item4b6260db95:g:tBgAAOSwUvVcfIYcis Is this image (second pict) showing where the bolt needs to go?
I got it from Ebay

Edited by dn29626 - 27 May 2022 at 12:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic