This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 I Hydraulic Pump Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 I Hydraulic Pump Rebuild
    Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 3:49pm
I'm about to take the pump out of my D15 Series I. It is an early serial (1324 if I remember right).

What should I keep an eye out for? Is taking it apart and cleaning enough?

The book says add or remove shims to adjust pressure. What direction does what? What's the starting place for shims?

I'm pretty sure the relief AND unloading valves will at least need shims adjusted. My pressure barely tips over 2,000 now, and hovers around 1500 when running. Won't even lift the grader blade anymore.

I do not believe the hold position,control, or really anything else will need to be changed.

The book recommends a couple spring changes I will be doing.

AGCO will have the parts that I need?
Sponsored Links

MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 6:02pm
Also, how the heck do I lower the pump from the housing? I got all the bolts out but the dang thang won't drop
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 7:24pm
I'm pretty sure that there are some linkage connections that have to be removed.  Also check the pump camshaft, make sure that the cam rotates when the clutch is out, and that all the lobes are there and smooth. We are talking about the pump that is inside the hyd compartment, right?  No metal in the pan?
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 7:56pm
Yes, the one in the torque tube. I will check those things.

There was very fine metal shavings in the fluid and on the plug magnet. Probably... Oh. If you turned one of those super small paper clips into metal dust. And it's more dust than shavings.

I have all the linkages the book is telling me to disconnect. And it looks like there's free space between the linkages levers and the pump. Where does the pump connect to the pipe/tube of the hydraulic system?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 8:05pm
You have to use a big flat blade screwdriver to compress the coil spring and shove a small nail in the hole on the rod to keep the spring compressed. Then, the pump can fall out.
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

You have to use a big flat blade screwdriver to compress the coil spring and shove a small nail in the hole on the rod to keep the spring compressed. Then, the pump can fall out.

Yup. Did that. Then removed the cotter pin connecting that rod to the traction booster linkage. the pipe on top of the torque tube?

The book says to remove a retaining ring? Do they mean the ring holding the traction booster lever/paddle?
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 8:26pm
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 8:31pm

You can just see the brass nail I used, and where I disconnected the linkage.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 2:11pm
You've got the nail on the wrong side of the bracket the rod slides thru.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 3:31pm
Yeah, I thought so, too.  It's been a loooooong time since I did one...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 5:02pm
Still not coming. Do I need to disconnect the outlet pipe from on top of the torque tube? How does the pump get fluid into the hose?
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 6:04pm
Do I just need to yank real hard?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 6:07pm
Must be hung up on the alignment dowels. Don't mess with the discharge tube. Somehow need to pry it down out of there. Don't let it land on your face.
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 6:11pm
Got it! Yes. You have to pull real hard
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 6:12pm

Must be hung up on the alignment dowels. Don't mess with the discharge tube. Somehow need to pry it down out of there. Don't let it land on your face.

It almost did when it finally came. When the book says "lower it out" they mean, "put all your body weight into it"
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 6:19pm
Now here's the million dollar question, do I take it ALL apart and clean everything, even the bits I didn't have problems with? Or should I only replace the two parts I know I had issues with?

Now that I know how to get it out it wasn't that hard and I'm not actually to scared if I'd have to do it again.
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 57 minutes ago at 3:42pm
Does anybody know the dimensions of the Shim for the overload valve spring? My local AGCO dealer can't get it, and I feel like I should be able to just use a washer/spacer on lieu. Just need to know the thickness range to shoot for.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 58 minutes ago at 7:41pm
I have in my notes for my WD45 that .01 adds about 700PSI.
Seems I remember that the facotry shims were .01.

I was working to get the pressure where I wanted it and adding a full .01 made the pressure too high. I ended up making a .015 shim form some shim stock to get where I wanted.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 20 minutes ago at 8:19pm
As per the service manual "each shim raises pressure 125 psi" whatever thickness each shim actually is.  ***** A tired pump that needs Orings, balls and springs will have the pressure increased quite a bit without adding any shims. So, don't think you need to add 10 shims to get to 3,000+ relief pressure. In fact, the service manual says no more than 6 springs total, which I never adhered to.

Edited by DrAllis - 15 hours 3 minutes ago at 8:36pm
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 hours 47 minutes ago at 8:52pm
I don't see that in the service manual? AC-201?

I'm currently at 2500 with no shims, that's after fixing/replacing springs and the overload valve o-rings. So I should shoot for 0.06"+/-? That's a brand new overload spring. The valve itself looked fine, no obvious damage, didn't really Even see heat marks. So I'd rather try shims. But of each shim gives 125, the. I'd need 9 shims to get to pressure.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 hours 37 minutes ago at 9:02pm
And I cannot tell you how thick an OEM shim is if you don't have any to measure.
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 hours 21 minutes ago at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

I have in my notes for my WD45 that .01 adds about 700PSI.
Seems I remember that the facotry shims were .01.

I was working to get the pressure where I wanted it and adding a full .01 made the pressure too high. I ended up making a .015 shim form some shim stock to get where I wanted.

I think the WD45 had a different pump. But I have to make up almost 1000 PSI, so hopefully a small shim can do it.
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 hours 16 minutes ago at 9:23pm

And I cannot tell you how thick an OEM shim is if you don't have any to measure.

Tell me if this sounds stupid.

An SAE 3/8" washer has an OD of .8125"+/- and thickness 0.065"+/-, I'll have to measure the guide rod, but it should fit in a 3/8" washer.

Use a grade 8 SAE 3/8" washer as a shim? Take a file to any dangly/sharp bits so there's no potential fragments to dislodge in the pump.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 60 minutes ago at 10:39pm
Any flat washer could work. It's a matter of the thickness being right.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic