This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 Buda DIESEL Block Heater?? Where to install?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 Buda DIESEL Block Heater?? Where to install?
    Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 7:47pm
Hello,
I am trying to find the best place to install an engine heater for ice cold weather starting

It's a mid 60s i-60 / I600 D15 series Diesel Loader Backhoe
(with the Buda 175 cid 4 cyl)

Does anyone know the best place to install an engine heater?

The lower rad. hose is short piece between metal piping
should I cut a piece of the pipe and put a hose heater here,
or is there a better place to install one?

I think there are some small screw out plugs on the side of the block,
is this where it should go?

,what size and type heater is best ? any help would be appreciated ! thanks!

Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:21pm
If you go to Kat's engine heater site, I think they can match it up.  I prefer the external tank type heaters, for ease of installation, and longevity.  Never done one on this motor, so you'll have to do some research...  IIRR, you take cold coolant from the block drain, heat it, and goes up into the head...Wink
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 6:25am
Good question. I would like to put some type of plug in heater on my mid 60’s HD16.
Coolent Hester or dome thing to heat engine oil. Any ideas on this one AC friends ?
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 6:30am
Here is what is shown in the D15 parts book for the diesel engine heater. 1000 watts will be plenty for that size cooling system. I believe cold coolant comes from the block drain. I'm not sure on those where the heated coolant goes. Often it is to the back of head or back of the thermostat housing. This says the discharge (heated coolant) tube goes to the thermostat housing. Heaters work best mounted vertically, or close to it, with inlet slightly below the block source point. Hose for heated coolant should continually rise from the heater to engine connection, with no sags in it, for thermosyphon circulation to work.

Edited by Jim.ME - 05 Feb 2019 at 6:32am
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 6:44am
jerbob,

You can plumb one of this type heater to most engines of that vintage. With some research there may be an in the block heater for your HD16's engine. Check out Phillips/Zerostart as well as KAT'S. I would think 1500 watts in block or 2000 watts circulating tank heater like this one would be good on its cooling system. In the block heaters eliminate hoses to catch and fail, as well as the heat is inside the engine block.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:00am
Thank you for the site and the advice Jim. Much appreciated.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 5:37pm
With external tank type heaters, you need to mount the can, as close to vertical, as possible.  If you mount it horizontal, the element will burn out...Thumbs Down
i60 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 7:34pm
I picked up a tank heater and still do not know where the correct block drain connection is

the block's ipl is online here  (page 46);

it seems to show a 1/8" npt "expansion" plug under the tach connection area on the side of the block
so I removed this plug but it had oil residue on the back,
  no water came out
it is straight in-line with the oil pressure adjust
I see other plugs on the ipl but they are not labeled
  they are in-line with the plug I removed so I doubt they are block drains ?

I do see a plug approx. mid level on the same side of the block ,
not sure if this is the one I should connect  to?

there is no "thermostat housing" on this engine,
the thermostat is a pellet type within the upper rad hose

There is a water inlet block on the top that has the bi pass pipe,
it has a large plug on the back so it seems to be a good connection point for the top hose, just need to locate the proper lower plug to tap !!!!

i60 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:02pm

i posted a direct link to a block picture
circled in orange is the suspect connection point

the blue line is the plug that had oil,
the other plugs are in-line at the bottom

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:27pm
The large block on top is the water outlet to the radiator, it is where your heated coolant line will hook into the plug you mentioned.

The block drain should be 1/4" npt. It had a peacock on the generator side of the block, in the parts drawing you posted. Try the plug mid level of the block you mentioned in your post. Water jackets usually stop mid way of a block or a bit lower.
i60 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:47pm
thanks Jim.me,
I did More searching online,
I found a few actual block pictures online here;

Looking from the top down I  see the sleeves run about 1/2 way into the block so I think you are right
the water line is not at the bottom where i was attempting to connect

I also see a pipe nipple about mid way on the  injector pump side,
(it must be behind the fuel filters on my machine)

I suspect this may be where a tank heater was connected

I will explore more tomorrow,  the machine is in about 1 foot of snow thaw water
due to our 40 deg. heat wave so it's not fun working on it now (my boots leaked!)
( the starter is in the shop so I have to work on it where it sits )
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:33pm
There may be one on the injection pump side but I believe there is one on the generator side. I think someone recently was putting a heater on a D19, similar blocks and the drain was on the generator side. Look back in the farm equipment forum.
i60 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 5:03pm
Yes, you were right Jim.me
I connected to the drain on generator side (in about the center of the block)
the drain plug was an odd size that nether sae nor metric would fit well
so I used a stud remover to turn it out

The kats tank heater is now installed and working perfectly
thank you very much

the engine, the injectors and pump were all totally rebuilt less than 200 running hours ago.........but it still starts hard in zero degree weather and I do not like using ether
(I think the timing may be to advanced for easy cold start, seems to "kick back" a bit when cold thus straining the starter)

I had the starter rebuilt about 2 winters ago and it's back in the shop now
I should have plumbed in a heather long ago!

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 5:40pm
Good to hear you found the right block drain and the heater is working.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic