This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D14, tiller?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D14, tiller?
    Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 3:19pm
Would a d14 run slow enough to use a 3pt tiller very well? I'm kinda wanting a tiller and will need a tractor with a low range that can creep along to fix gardens. Thanks Wil
Sponsored Links

GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 3:48pm
I run a 6' tiller behind my D14; 1st Low for 1st few times, then 2nd-low or 2nd high for finishing. Works for me.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 8:35pm
I guess it depends on the dirt!  It should work fine but you may have to feather the big stick on occasion.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 8:48pm
The smaller the rear tire the slower the speed.Might drop air presure a little.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 9:52pm
I use a tiller behind my D10. In 1st gear with the throttle at three quarters, it runs across the garden pretty darn fast for me. It does do a pretty good job though. However, I can put the same tiller on my 2-60 White, which has a low range, and I can go much slower and do a little smoother more thorough job.
Wdtractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 10:44pm
What my concern is i fix 3 gardens for Neighbors plus mine. The last few years we have been having very wet Springs and it tough sometimes to get them all plowed and disked between rains. I was thinking if I had a tiller it would be more of a one trip deal, I could run over each garden maybe twice with a tiller and do them all one day and be done. If I'm understanding how one of those 3pt tiller work. I'm thinking you would need a go pretty slow on the first trip over anyway to make a nice looking seed bed. That being said iv never used one
I looked up the ground speed of a 14 on tractor data and it said 1.5mph, witch it about the same as most tractors with a high/low transmission. That being said I'm not sure what rpm that 1.5 mph is. I'm assuming it at a low rpm bc, but I don't know myself.

Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 7:38am
The slower you go the better it's going to do of coarse. But, you should be alright. I usually don't plow my gardens. I usually till twice, and I go a different direction the second time. A D14 in low one may be slower than a D10, which doesn't have a high/low. I don't know, it's been a long time since I've drove a D series with two speed hand clutch.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 8:01am
I uses a 5' tiller behind 'Troy'. Wife's garden has a lot of humus or tilthe. I don't even bother with plow anymore, sold the discs, cultivators are on a trailer....I just till. 1st pass kinda rough, 2nd, 3rd make it 'seed bed ready. I go W-E then E-W then W-E, seems to 'fluff' up the soil better.Also I let it 'air dry' a tad( I'm not in a hurry ) if it's wet-dampish.
1st pass I need to 'feather' the PD, 2nd-3rd...just run  tad over idle, letting the tiller do what it's supposed to.
I do need to adjust the tiller more right,get it behind the right tire..yeah 'on the list'.....maybe next Spring...
Have to say the tiller was the BEST money I spent  ! Got rid of the Ford LGT125 with 3' tiller(wore out), and a walkbehind too. It cost me 1500 Canucks, s in near perfect condition and I know will outlive me. It does 'find' a rock and snaps a shearpin...not a big deal thugh.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 8:58am
I've run a tiller with a D15 it was 'OK' but my MF 220 compact with multiple very slow gears is a lot better
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 11:50am
jaybmiller, what brand tiller do you use? For that matter, I figure maybe this is a question for another thread, I don't mean to get off track.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic