This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-14 guts into a C?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-14 guts into a C?
    Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 6:57am
I am curious other than just the fact that machining would be required, what is required to put the internals of a D-14 into a C block?

Are the rods the same for both tractors?

Are the sleeves longer in a D-14?

Anyone ever do this?

Over all goal is I want to get a lot of horses/torque out if it but still look stock on the outside for the most part.
Can't fix stupid
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 7:28am
DickL or PaulB can tell you what to do. They have been very successful pulling the small ones.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:04am
Pretty sure the G149-G160 engine lines have larger diameter main bearing journals compared to the B-C-CA engines. You'd be by far better off and money ahead just using the newer engine.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 5:38pm
To begin with a D14 (138-160) crank has pressure oiling to the rod bearings, whereas the C has splash oiling through the rod holes. This is the difference in the two different rods, otherwise the dimensions are the same. The main bearings are too large to allow the C block to be machined that much, The only way is to make the bearing journals smaller, then you mess up the drilled oil passages. The simple solution is to just have a C crank stroked. Then there is the difference in the two camshafts as well, the C cam has the holes to spray oil to the rods. The C engine can easily (but costly) be made to produce around 75 HP and live. The one I've done in the CA has been running for more than 15 years.

Edited by PaulB - 11 Feb 2015 at 5:42pm
dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 8:11am
I went with the 160 motor and if I had to do over, I would use the 149 mostly due to the cost of parts and availability. Some parts will swap from the 125 but not as many as one would like. I stayed at the 160 cid due to available pistons. Have'nt pulled it yet so will see this season.
dg
AJ View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 8:31am
What mods would be required to put a d14 crank in a C block? Would that technically make it a "stroker?" What are the differences between the d14 stroke on the crank and the C stroke of the crank?
Can't fix stupid
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 7:06am

125 :   3 3/8" Bore    3 1/2" Stroke, Rods spray oiled from Cam

149 :   3 1/2" Bore    3 7/8" Stroke, Rods pressure oiled from Crank

Gary

Edited by Gary - 13 Feb 2015 at 7:11am
MATPA47 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MATPA47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 6:36pm
So a d14 crank, sleeves and Pistons will fit a C block?
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 10:52pm
Hey AJ
Just put the D14 engine i have for sale in your C ......  It will still have stock apperance. :-)
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
MATPA47 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MATPA47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 8:28am
So a d14 engine will bolt right in a b or c? What about clutch? What do you have for sale Macon ?
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:41pm
I agree with the Doc. Why go through all the BS with interchanging engine parts. Put the whole darn D14 engine in! Probably would make a cool, mean runnin' Orange machine...!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 6:12am
As I mentioned previously NONE of the D14 parts are a drop in fit to the CE engine. If you have rules that don't allow the newer engine, which looks different enough that even a JD or IH guy could detect the difference, then the only way yo go is to build a (big)  CE block. If the rules do allow the Newer engine then use all the flywheel and clutch parts from the C. You may have to locate the stepped front studs, Most of the D10- D12-D14-D15 engines have 5/8" Threads in the front and all of the BE/CE engines are 1/2". The the only other difference is the Thermostat housing, which won't allow the temperature gauge to go there, but just use a D10/12 top radiator hose.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic