This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-12 Experts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-12 Experts
    Posted: 3 hours 5 minutes ago at 8:36am
Through the purchase of a new to me D-12, I have started doing some research concerning correct factory color. Here is the beginning of my confusion: My tractor is serial No. 2322. I have known of this tractors ownership from in the early 70"s if not as far back as the 60"s. When I read the Terry Dean handbook, it states that after serial No. 1950, the color changes to Persion Orange#2, with cream grill and bars. OK, When I see most tractors with that color scheme, they have a cream steering wheel. This on has a black steering wheel, that appears to be original. While water blasting, I find traces of Persion Orange#1. It has been repainted in Persion #2, so what is the deal, did no one tell this tractor that it was supposed to be Persion Orange#2 originally?  Or is there a chance that their data is off? I have read the same serial no. breakdown in one of Norm Swinfords books, but I realize that data from one book can be borrowed to another book. Can someone shed some light on this?
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 56 minutes ago at 8:45am
What color does Norm Swinford's book say it should be? If I'm correct, he was an ALLIS CHALMERS Blockman or at least directly employed by ALLIS in some way. Many of the books I've read have conflicting information with Norm's book, whether this is due to a clerical error or just hearsay information, I can't say. If you wish to keep the Correct Police satisfied, I'd always defer to whatever information I found in Norm Swinfords's books.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 34 minutes ago at 10:07am
Norm Swinford spent a career with AC and had a passionate love for his company. Thus the history book in it.  He was a marketing manager of the highest order. He followed Walt Buescher who wrote PLOW PEDDLER - a book on AC people. Both were top notch. 
Norm was in charge of the EXPO circuit with the EXPO gals - the first to use women in 
marketing in force.  
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 57 minutes ago at 10:44am
If you see signs of PO#1 on the castings, the rear wheel centers and front wheel centers should also be PO#1.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic