This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D10 Series III steering lever

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEP5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D10 Series III steering lever
    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 9:27pm
Looking for a kit to rebuild the steering lever stud roller bearing on my late 1965 D10 Series III. Steering got very hard to turn. Hour meter/tach says 2379.41 hrs.
Agro says a discontinued item, aftemarket suppliers do not have. I found a SIMILAR kit offered by Midwest Steering,  that looks identical. I called them and they are sending me part 044957 which will make my day. This kit comes from one that has two stud rollers, so apparently this is an internal number. Midwest insisted on having the number that is physically stamped into the box (not a raised cast number). Mine is SE55095XG. Found on left side of steering housing, behind the bracket that holds the box.

Edited by DEP5 - 18 Jul 2019 at 10:03am
D10 Series III, fully optioned
Sponsored Links

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 8:18am
It looks like you've made my day also.
I knew that no parts are available and afraid to take mine apart, as long as it's working, but not as well as I feel as it should.

Thanks,
Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 12:55pm
DEPS,
Have you got the part yet?
Would you please let us know how it works out?
Would you double check that number, 044957? I googled Wedwest Steering, then typed in that number and they said they had no such number.

Dusty
DEP5 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEP5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 3:19pm
PM sent. Yes, 044957 is a good number. Probably Midwest Steering's internal number as they broke up a larger kit that contained two of these in order to help me.

Update: 15-Jul-2019
the kit is in hand and it looks good.

PATIENCE

1) I used a large 1/2" drive socket to hold and stabilize the steering stud on the bench.
2) The rollers are tapered. Use grease to hold them. The large end with the indentation goes down and the small end is up. (See photo)

3) Fully assembled ready for  placement into the lever. (I wasn't paying attention , all the small ends must be up.)

4) After lowering the lever onto the stud/bearings then the rest of the bearing are to be installed, small end first. Then the flat washer, lock washer and nut.

Edited by DEP5 - 18 Jul 2019 at 10:17am
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 8:46am
Got the PM.
Let us know how it works out.
Mine is not that bad yet, only bothers a little.

Dusty
AveryD12 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveryD12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 2:31pm
I too would be interested to know how this works out for you. I have had problems with the same thing on my D12-III. The first time I had trouble the flat washer broke in half. (I think it is a race for the bearings) not real sure what to call it. I found a guy to machine one for me and heat treat it to harden it. The second time the stud that engages the worm gear either wore off or broke off. I could only find a small part of it in the gear box. After many internet searches I found NOS at a dealer in Kansas for $100 and glad to get it for that. Please let us know how it works out for you.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 10:48am
Waited until a few days ago to take out the steering gear box, less likely to need the 
D-10 for a while to tear into this.
The cone part that rides in the worm gear, has two rather large flat spots on it, one on each side. The new parts that DEP5 found are a perfect fit. Now I need to make a gasket for the steering gear box.

Thanks to DEP5 Dan, for letting us know that you found the parts and where.

Dusty
DEP5 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEP5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 2:54pm
Pleased that your Allis has new life !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic