This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cutting Plexiglass/ Acrylic ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutting Plexiglass/ Acrylic ??
    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:47pm
I've cut a lot of different materials in my line of work, but never plexi/acrylic panels. What is the blade/tool of choice for this project( it's a 1/4" thick panel) for a wind break on a neighbors covered porch. Thanks
The panel will be 4'x8' but I need to cut an angle (the 4' way) to match the roof angle.

Edited by FREEDGUY - 25 Oct 2020 at 6:49pm
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:00pm
Go to menards and get a plexi knife. It looks like a little hook blade. Put your straight edge on it and score it a couple times flex it and it'll break a the line. That is the cleanest way to cut plexi. You can tape it and cut with a sabre saw with a very fine blade. You'll have to sand smoot after cutting with a saw
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:11pm
Thanks Dave Wink, that's where the panel is coming from Big smile .
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:37pm
A 40 tooth circular blade does really nice!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by omahagreg omahagreg wrote:

I have a few of those, does the blade need to be installed "backwards" like cutting vinyl siding ?
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:54pm
I usually use a cutoff wheel on a 4.5” angle grinder. Tape and mark the cut line on the tape.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:00pm
The lumber yard I worked for had us replacing glass in windows. We would use clear tape on both sides of the plexiglass and a very very fine toothed jig saw blade. We had 2 pieces of plywood layd down, almost butted together supporting the plexiglass the saw blade went between the two pieces of plywood.
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by omahagreg omahagreg wrote:

I have a few of those, does the blade need to be installed "backwards" like cutting vinyl siding ?

No.  Just cut it like you are cutting plywood.  The more teeth the better.  I use a plywood blade, but have used a 40 tooth blade without any problems.
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 9:36pm
Not necessary to run it backwards, but it would work fine and probably be better! I dont, I'm usually in a hurry...!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 5:32am
80 tooth blade works very well, though I get a friend to 'cut and supply' when I have to use it. He owns signshop.....

When you're done cutting, use a propane torch to 'fuse' the cut edge.No need to sand then. Do NOT try drilling holes in it though ! It'll shatter crack, unless you use 'special cut' drill bits and STILL go slow,not so slow the plastic melts into a blob and not too fast to crack it....

I use Polycarb instead of Acrylic. Poly is easily drillable AND you can tap the holes. Cuts GREAT too...... supposedly bullet proof though I've never tested that 'property'...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 7:12am
I used clear packing tape where wanted cut line, set that edge on a sheet of plywood supported on saw horses on cross lumber to keep flat, mark the line set a straight edge for a circular saw set SHALLOW, 80T blade and walk it thru not drive it thru with a pair of hands holding the offal piece, remove tape off BOTH sides and used 600 sand paper to feather the edges
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 7:40am
If you ever need to drill it, use a UNIBIT step drill bit. Works amazing, no grabbing or chipping or anything, smooth sailing.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:45am
KKeep the edge where your cutting close to the edge of what its laid on.  Be very careful drilling near the edge.  I've had the best success with a jig saw.  Go slow!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

I used clear packing tape where wanted cut line, set that edge on a sheet of plywood supported on saw horses on cross lumber to keep flat, mark the line set a straight edge for a circular saw set SHALLOW, 80T blade and walk it thru not drive it thru with a pair of hands holding the offal piece, remove tape off BOTH sides and used 600 sand paper to feather the edges
DMiller, you have no idea of the grin on my face as to your "offal" reference LOLLOL. Pretty sure that not many on here know what that means WinkWink . Thanks for the reply Thumbs Up. And thanks to ALL that replied SmileSmile. I never dreamed plexi was a bi*%h to drill though, good to know Clap.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 5:01am
Been using that since taught it by Grandfather, ?60 years?.  Refers to the Off Fall Material when cut anything so become a standard word offal.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 11:04pm
My grandfather used the term " swarth "as the material a saw or drill removes as it works
German heritage maybe ?

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 27 Oct 2020 at 11:05pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic