This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crossbreeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 12:34pm

Nothing like experience . Just asking questions . Had to process through them to.  Changing something as small as lifter diameter . When not thinking about it can leave one scratching his head some times.Does with me any ways.  Kamp dont let the reply on the cylinder head make you mad .

Edited by mlpankey - 19 Jan 2012 at 12:36pm
Sponsored Links

Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

I was navigating a rather large vessel through a rather small channel once, and noticed a towboat operator doing something that I thought was very, very strange.  I asked my dad what the other pilot was doing.  My dad's reply was a piece of wisdom I'll never forget:

"I don't know, but he is obviously aware of some aspect of his situation, that you're not".

Which translated to everyday life, means that when one ventures to open his mouth very wide about how another individual chooses to address their own challenges, he runs a substantial risk of finding his own shoe in it.

After seeing WI50's work, I'm thinkin' he knows a whole heckuvalot more about what he's doing, than anyone else does... and I applaud his work- very, very nice.  The engineering, forethought, and workmanship of anybody's project, is a testament to dedication and vision- the stuff that turns the ether of dreams, into reality.  I appreciate seeing things like this posted, but guarantee that if I could be there for the "It's Alive!" moment occurs, I certainly would!  There's no treat like feeling sound and fury!

Well put. Wi50 has posted some info in the past that a special someone was unable to digest causeing weeks of argument and a $200 offer to see the part.

Lookinf foreward to see more pictures and keep up the great work.

Edited by Rod B - 19 Jan 2012 at 7:44pm
mark vaughn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark vaughn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 8:48pm
wi50   I am very impressed by your work. Please keep us posted with new updates.   Thanks Mark
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 7:28am
Originally posted by mark vaughn mark vaughn wrote:

wi50   I am very impressed by your work. Please keep us posted with new updates.   Thanks Mark
hey mark you build alot of dirt track motors right? Do you care to tell what going from the .842 small block lifter to the .904 mopar lifter does for a engine and what the effect of going from a larger diameter to a smaller diameter does?
John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 7:58am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

"I don't know, but he is obviously aware of some aspect of his situation, that you're not".

You know, I have the same philosophy when I see someone doing something that I don't understand. He/she must know something that I don't.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 5:30pm
You boys are doing a fine job.

I am haveing problems posting pictures from my phone after the forum change.  I'll keep trying to get them to load and get it figured out.

But the roller lifter setup is actually verry simple.  I ordered a piloted reamer to pilot in the original lifter bores and ream them to the new diameter.  In the block between the lifter bores is a square hole, I find center between the lifter bores for a cylinder and I bore that square hole to a round hole, I can't clean up the whole thing or it gets to thin, but there's room to get a 7/8-14 thread in that hole.  I made a plug with a flange on it and drilled and tapped the center of the plug, threaded the outside 7/8-14. 

I made the dogbones to hold the lifters from some old take outs I cut and welded to a new plate with a hole in the center of the plate. 

Now a simple stripper bolt with a spring on it comes down from the top of the block and goes through the dogbone and threads into the bushing I threaded in from the bottom.  All this holds the dogbone in place, the dogbone holds the lifters from rotating and puts some downpressure on the cam.

The only trick is finding lifters of the right length to engage in the block material, a small enough diameter to leave plenty of materal in the block for strength and dogbones to fit in the block. 

The billet cam isn't that big of a task.  It takes a while to turn out a blank, and a cam grinder can do the rest.

It's all about getting the proper valve opening rates for the parts used.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

You boys are doing a fine job.

I am haveing problems posting pictures from my phone after the forum change.  I'll keep trying to get them to load and get it figured out.

But the roller lifter setup is actually verry simple.  I ordered a piloted reamer to pilot in the original lifter bores and ream them to the new diameter.  In the block between the lifter bores is a square hole, I find center between the lifter bores for a cylinder and I bore that square hole to a round hole, I can't clean up the whole thing or it gets to thin, but there's room to get a 7/8-14 thread in that hole.  I made a plug with a flange on it and drilled and tapped the center of the plug, threaded the outside 7/8-14. 

I made the dogbones to hold the lifters from some old take outs I cut and welded to a new plate with a hole in the center of the plate. 

Now a simple stripper bolt with a spring on it comes down from the top of the block and goes through the dogbone and threads into the bushing I threaded in from the bottom.  All this holds the dogbone in place, the dogbone holds the lifters from rotating and puts some downpressure on the cam.

The only trick is finding lifters of the right length to engage in the block material, a small enough diameter to leave plenty of materal in the block for strength and dogbones to fit in the block. 

The billet cam isn't that big of a task.  It takes a while to turn out a blank, and a cam grinder can do the rest.

It's all about getting the proper valve opening rates for the parts used.
agree dogbone keeps lifter from rotating . agree cam grinder needs roller wheel diameter to set duration to get valve opening rate . cut a access in side of block to put lifters in  from the top ?

Edited by mlpankey - 20 Jan 2012 at 5:48pm
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 7:50pm
I'm wit' you Dave! Would love to be there when that puppy is fired up! That's when I'd be all fired up!  LOL!  Keep the pics comin' WI50

Steve@B&B
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:07am
yeah...i thoughts you were talkin bouts 37!!
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 12:08pm
I thought someone posted one time that it was impossiable to put roller lifters in one of these.  Not the same dolt is quoteing everything in agreement.

Maybe Wi's apprentice is learning something.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 12:53pm
I'm thinking he's talking about the alky burner he's building.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Performance mods for a 226 in my world involve M&W pistons.  What WI50 is doing is crazy stupid fun to watch.
AaronSEIA
BobDinNC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobDinNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:16pm
I'm with Dave on this.  It boggles my mind to see what some people can think up and then DO!  Keep on posting.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

I thought someone posted one time that it was impossiable to put roller lifters in one of these.  Not the same dolt is quoteing everything in agreement.

Maybe Wi's apprentice is learning something.
shubick ceramic lifters are easier to use because they can go in from the bottom like the oem.    keep reading rod b you to may become a apprentice of eithers

Edited by mlpankey - 21 Jan 2012 at 5:36pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 8:26pm
How did your pulling season go pankey?

I rember reading one of your rants on the yt forum how you putting off projects and useing the money to put your tractor togather. Going to go pull against Wi, make us a video and show everyone how it was done.

I know at the Nat. GOTO we were sure laughing about you.

Edited by Rod B - 21 Jan 2012 at 8:42pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

How did your pulling season go pankey?

I rember reading one of your rants on the yt forum how you putting off projects and useing the money to put your tractor togather. Going to go pull against Wi, make us a video and show everyone how it was done.

I know at the Nat. GOTO we were sure laughing about you.
  hows your pulling season rod ? you ever go to any pulls or just hang around the shows where you have plenty of setting around gossiping time?
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 12:14pm
Well it looks like this thread is getting cluttered up.

Though I did enjoy a good laugh.  Almost spit my mountain dew out.  Act a fool and people alwayse rember.  Why would it matter how Rod B's pulling season went when once again it's a desperate attempt by someone to backpedal.  The saga never stops.

I prefer to get my work done.  In a matter of an hour and a half yesterday I took an old WD-45 block and cut keyways in alongside the mains.  I than machined the side of the main caps with a .002 interference fit so now my mains are keyed into the block and located.  Now the machine shop can line bore and I've got a nice stable platform rather than the old shim stack.  I was useing up some of the parts I had laying around and had enough stuff to build a cheap and goof proof engine.  Bought some cheap pistons from RaceingJunk.com, some rods and crank I had and I've got about a 320 cube engine.  I'll recycle the head, manifold and carb that I worked over for my dads engine last winter to go back in a WD45 wide front that I'm restoreing and can compete in the local pulls.

My point is that in a few hours of work, I've got some nice parts made.  Time better spent than trying to tell us on public forum what one doesn't know. 

I still can't get pictures to go through so when I get my parts back togather enough to snap a few new ones I'll have to put them on the YTmag pulling forum.

Edited by wi50 - 22 Jan 2012 at 12:28pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 2:11pm
keyways to locate . dowl pins work for us . still got 9 years left to be out of pulling before making a pull at goto. i think my planet jr could do well there.

Edited by mlpankey - 22 Jan 2012 at 2:12pm
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 2:19pm
For some on here and on any given topic, the only thing that shows more than jealousy is their stupidity.
Yea, I can fix that.....
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 2:53pm
Marty, sent you a PM about the pictures.  

It is fun to see this whole thing develop.   It's funny how every time WI50 posts something, Pankey has to jump down his throat.   There's alot of things you can learn from someone else if you just keep an open mind.   I don't think that's the case though.  

Wish I lived closer to you Marty, would love to give you a hand on the weekends and learn some knowledge.   Back when I used to help some of the local late model drivers, none of them ever built their own engines.   We just picked them up from the builder, did the installs, put a carb on, warmed them up, set valve lashes etc. and away we went.   Back then our engine builder was up in Appleton, and a damn good builder he was so it was worth the trip.   But never got to learn alot when all you did was bolt the engine in the hole. 

Keep up the good work and keep us posted and a certain someone's feathers all rustled up!!  LOL 
1955 WD45 diesel 203322 was my dad's tractor, 1966 D15 23530, 1961 HD3 Crawler 1918, 1966 D17 IV 83495, 1937 WC 41255, 1962 D19 6221
Charlie (NC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 4:23pm
Fellows,  I'm not qualified to talk about WI50's machine work and I haven't been reading this forum much for a couple of years but there are a couple of things I've noticed that have proved out to be truisms and tell me all I need to know about this thread without knowing much about WI50's work. 

1)  If Dr. Allis is impressed it's nice work.

2) If Plankey opens his big mouth it is to insult or belittle someone else and try to make himself look big and important.

Nuf said
geb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 8:34pm
I dont't usually get involved if dirty diaper sports, but I feel compelled to so this time.  The only thing I know about Plankey is that I offered him some advice once for a firing problem he was having (use a electronic distributor out of a Chevy Chevette with a little machining  to solve a lot of problems in a 201/226 block).   As far a wi50 goes  know absolutely nothing except from what I have read on this forum.  I know just a little bit about engine machining but wi50 has put me in awe with his knowledge.  It's obvious that he has forgotten more about engine machining than most of us will ever know and that includes you Plankey.  Also Plankey, if you would start trying to learn from wi50/s post, as most of us are trying to do, instead of making an ass of yourself by offering suggestions that are antiquated by wi50's level of expertise, you would be much better off.  It is easy to see you know a little about engine machine work but you nor I are in the same class as wi50.  Set back, enjoy the roses, and learn with an open mind.
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:01pm
You know, I love Allis and Gleaner. Burned into my brain when I was a kid in the 60's. I come on this site everyday cause I like to see what others are doing, to see pics of machines that remind me of the past, and sometimes to get info and parts for the few pieces I have. If I want to listen to bitchin and stupidness, all I have to do is turn off the computer and talk to my wife or boss. What the guy is doing is way beyond me, but I like to look at it, knocking it down or saying stupid things is just small. Like i say to my gal when Ive had enough, You do You, and I'll do me, and everything will work out. Leave the dude be, who cares how many tractor pulls he won or lost, he is doin some cool stuff. Just my humble offering to promote sanity, Trev.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:51am
Originally posted by geb geb wrote:

I dont't usually get involved if dirty diaper sports, but I feel compelled to so this time.  The only thing I know about Plankey is that I offered him some advice once for a firing problem he was having (use a electronic distributor out of a Chevy Chevette with a little machining  to solve a lot of problems in a 201/226 block).   As far a wi50 goes  know absolutely nothing except from what I have read on this forum.  I know just a little bit about engine machining but wi50 has put me in awe with his knowledge.  It's obvious that he has forgotten more about engine machining than most of us will ever know and that includes you Plankey.  Also Plankey, if you would start trying to learn from wi50/s post, as most of us are trying to do, instead of making an ass of yourself by offering suggestions that are antiquated by wi50's level of expertise, you would be much better off.  It is easy to see you know a little about engine machine work but you nor I are in the same class as wi50.  Set back, enjoy the roses, and learn with an open mind.
have you seen a picture of the two additional upper mains tied into the block with sleeves installed. five main crank setting on three mains is the picture i have seen . I guess thats jumping down a throat. Or making a ignorant statement. kinda like a clutch just setting around. cap spacing took away cross arcing from little cap. sold that dizzy for 300 in virginia also had a head go there to. 

Edited by mlpankey - 23 Jan 2012 at 7:52am
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 4:33pm
Well, I don't claim to know much and I don't!
However, someone told me a long time ago........It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are stupid than to open it......and prove it!
Ain't saying any more but  I think you get my drift?!
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 5:28pm

A couple friends and I are togather on a component alky tractor.  My incomplete pictures of a clutch for it are because the pressure plate was not finished last time I was at Atlas Tractor..... but he had a scrap one I could use for dimensional purposes to get the clutch can to block spaceing correct.  Wednesday though I'll have the good one.  Just in case some idiot can't understand why I would have a 4 disc slipper laying around.

Now projects like this Allis engine or the superstock take a lot of time.  In the first post I did say it's a work in progress.  99.9% of you realize this, though I do get time on it now and then and have a lot of the parts well under way or completed for the next step in the process.  There is an order of operations one must go through in order not to back track to much.

I was on the road today, but I did get to the shop late this afternoon and took some pictures.  I'll send them to Chuck in a bit so he can post them.  I'll post them on YT mag tractor pulling forum shortly. 

Ladies and gentlemen, let someone's drama continue.  I'll spend my time on my family, my work and my projects.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 6:22pm
I give you a A in trick photogr aphy .I think I will lay a 226 block on its side and set 8-71 on top of it and call a two stroke in progress.

Edited by mlpankey - 23 Jan 2012 at 6:27pm
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:45pm
Someone lock this thread, WOW...Trev.
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 8:42pm

Sorry for the delay, here are WI50's pictures.  

1955 WD45 diesel 203322 was my dad's tractor, 1966 D15 23530, 1961 HD3 Crawler 1918, 1966 D17 IV 83495, 1937 WC 41255, 1962 D19 6221
Charlie (NC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 9:52pm
only problem with this thread is Plankey.  Maybe someone can lock him.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 10:02am
Hey WI50,

Just a lil hint to help ya out.
If you was to put the crankshaft where you have the cam blank and move the cam somewhere else it will go together with less hassles TongueTongueTongue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic